Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Pet insurance…how much?
  • rascal
    Free Member

I have a new moggy…currently fast asleep after running around like a lunatic for an hour.
    Need to insure him though unsure of what constitutes ‘good’ pet insurance.
    I know there’s a few catpeople on here…who do you use and how much per month ❓

Cheers

bearnecessities

PSDA (underwritten by someone else who’s name escapes me).

Was £8pm. Within first year he caned £4k of insurance. Paid out without question. Premiums doubled. Can’t complain really.

samuri
    Free Member

We don’t insure our cats but we use Petplan for the dog.

If one the cats looked like they were going to cost us a lot of money at the vets well…these things can turn fatal ever so quickly.

stox
    Free Member

Pet plan. Use them for our cats and dogs and I highly recommend them. Made a claim on a cat with no issues at all, quick to pay up. Currently going through a claim on one of the dogs but the vets are doing it direct – we just paid the excess.
    Anyway, we pay about £10 per month for each cat.

br
    Free Member

Within first year he caned £4k of insurance

There is something wrong in the world, that we’d spend £4k on a cat… 😯

rascal
    Free Member

Anyone use Tesco? (coughs)

mightymule
    Free Member

Petplan. Every time.

I have claimed twice from them with absolutely no hassle whatsoever – they pay out directly to the vets – and I am in the middle of a 3.6K claim from them at the moment (fingers crossed).

Seriously though, I would definitely recommend them.

bearnecessities

There is something wrong in the world, that we’d spend £4k on a cat..

To be fair, it was the vets ‘fault’. Hindsight, and research indicates they didn’t need to do most of what they did, possibly £150 worth at most. I think as soon as they knew he was insured to the hilt, they went to town. Buggered up a healthy kitten mentally and put him through many months of stress & pain – they even performed a frickin’ biopsy for a common urinary condition.

In the last 3 or 4 months though, I’ve ignored everything they said, done my own homework, and now he’s eating normal food, doing all the things he should be doing and a clearly lot happier in himself.

****s in my balanced opinion.

mightymule
    Free Member

PS

THIS THREAD IS USELESS WITHOUT PICTURES!

andypandy85
    Free Member

Rascal, our dog is insured with Tesco…should he not be?

samuri
    Free Member

THIS THREAD IS USELESS WITHOUT PICTURES!

I’m going to put you in the vets!!!

Cat chases Dog by Jon Wyatt, on Flickr

NOOOOOO!!!!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

PetPlan generally comes out as the best but as with any insurance it’s up to you to read the T&C’s and see what your willing to accept.
    Key points are:
    Lifetime Cover vs One Year – Important for ongoing conditions, but means once you claim you are stuck with the provider for ever. Some won’t cover existing problems.
    Pay Up terms – do they pay the vet or do you and claim back – speak to your Vet on that one.
    Specific limits

Stuff can add up especially when trying to diagnose something.

dan1980
    Free Member

Ive got my furry pain in the arse insured with morethan for about £10 a month.

I’ve been happy with them so far, though Ollie is less happy about the talk of vets and insurance…

wallop

M&S. £7 a month for the girl and £11 for her brother.

Lazgoat
    Free Member

We insure our two cats with Tesco, £16 a month for both I believe. Haven’t ever had to claim in 9 years so can’t comment on their speed of settling claims.

footflaps

I need to insure the wife as well. Last time she took one of our cats, George, to the vets, they put a thermometer up his bum, at which point she fainted. She needed more care than George….

GolfChick
    Free Member

We use argos for Ziva, best level possible but quite expensive really, not sure i could justify the same cost for a cat. I would think things can go a lot more wrong with dogs especially Ziva being as large and as active as she is. Its about £36 a month but having experienced a few thousand pound bill with my last dog I think its worth it. Our is a lifetime, renewably every year cost.

littlemisspanda
    Free Member

My cross breed hound dog is insured with ASDA for £10 per month. Never had to use it touch wood.

When my mum had cats, she used petplan I think.

p8ddy
    Free Member

My two moggies (Starsky and Hutch) are insured through the SSPCA. I haven’t had to claim yet so don’t know how well they’ll do, but I opted for a ‘whole of life’ policy that covers payouts up to 7.5k each per year. Costs £20 a month. Not sure if it’s competitive, but the SSPCA get cash every month for it.

Previously I was with More Than (with my sadly departed cat). They were excellent. THey always paid up in good time, never a moments hassle and when Suzy died the guy who was dealing with me cancelling the policy was ace. Suzy needed a v. expensive procedure involving radiation treatment – More Than didn’t question it and offered help at all stages. Price for More Than was £9 pm iirc.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

wife’s cat insurance went up to £67, at which point we gave up on it. Cat is about 21.

rascal
    Free Member

Andypandy

No reason why you shouldn’t be insured with Tesco.

That is an option for us too – wife has a flyer to use by end of Oct – something like £5 a month plus £30 cash back! Seems cheap compared to what you’re all paying. Don’t want a sh*tty policy that isn’t any good if and when something bad happens…

Cheers

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Don’t want a sh*tty policy that isn’t any good if and when something bad happens…

You need to read the policy (sorry but it’s the key way to avoid being surprised by insurance)

footflaps

You need to read the policy (sorry but it’s the key way to avoid being surprised by insurance)

Doesn’t guarantee they’ll pay out even if you’re covered. If their P&L is looking poor, they’ll just tell their staff to refuse more claims as only a tiny minority will take them to the Ombudsman.

If you want to see who gets the most / least complaints: http://www.ombudsman-complaints-data.org.uk/AToZ.aspx

njee20
    Free Member

No reason why you shouldn’t be insured with Tesco.

Tesco is More Than anyway.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Pet insurance…how much?’ is closed to new replies.