Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Pet insurance
  • Taff
    Free Member

My pet insurance is due for renewal and they are currently asking for £8pcm for one cat. Since bought another cat and want to put that on to the same policy. My new quote with Tesco is £11.05pcm which sounds reasonably fair but have any of you guys taken out any policies for your pets that is good value for money?

Jase
    Free Member

Don’t confuse good value with cheap 🙂

Check the policy cover, my partner works at a vets and wouldn’t touch Tesco’s with yours!!!

br
    Free Member

You are only insuring ‘cash’, so is it really good value?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Vet friend says Tesco not great either. The ubiquitous PetPlan are supposedly better payers.

Taff
    Free Member

Don’t find Tesco bad, I was recommended them as others have had good experiences with them. Who would your partner recommend then?

Cougar

I’d stick 11 quid a month in a pot(*), personally. My first cat lived to be 18 and the second was so terrifically ill that keeping him going would’ve been cruel; I’ve spent *considerably* less than £1200 in vet bills in that time.

I have inherent distrust of “cover” generally, you pay loads each month to cover your cat, credit card, teeth, washing machine etc, then when it comes to claim there’s always some bloody loophole which means they don’t pay out.

I have car insurance (natch), house b&c insurance, that’s it. Everything else just comes out of the pot on demand; there’s so much that needs cover that you can’t possibly afford to cover it all, no forms or faffing about.

I appreciate that it’s not a good plan for everyone, but for me it works.

(* – kitty? Please yourself.)

Jase
    Free Member

Pet Plan, closely followed by M&S.

A few years back I claimed £9k for one of my dogs. It would have taken 30 years to save that up with monthly subs!

coolhandluke
    Free Member

we went for the top Sainsburys plan. Considerably cheaper than the usual Pet insurers for what appears to be a similar cover level.

£2500 later spent on the dog and we still think Sainsburys are good.

Make sure any “illness / condition” that may occur won’t stop being paid out after a certain time period . certain amount of money has been reached. Vets aren’t cheap either.

Taff
    Free Member

I’ve known of friends and families with really high vet bills that have needed loans etc to pay them off so won’t take the non-insured route.

Just looked at M&S, will have to ring them tomorrow as can’t to multiple pets online but the single policy is still cheaper than my current one.

jca

Disturbingly enough, I pay more per month on the insurance for 1 moggy than for my own life…

That must either say something about the cat’s lifestyle or mine…

br
    Free Member

+1 Cougar

Like all costs, they are less if there’s no Insurance Co. to pay out.

And take a loan to cover my dog’s illness? You are having a laugh.

Jesus, I’ve just looked at quotes for insurance to cover our Cocker – some are more than I pay for my (group 19) car insurance!

Taff
    Free Member

There will be a time when I will stop insurance policies as it will get too much as they get older. My mum has had some very big bills for her cat, dogs are different [more expensive], my friend had bills for 8.5k over two years.

I may never encounter bills of that nature but you just don’t know but I would rather be safe rather than sorry.

Disturbingly enough, I pay more per month on the insurance for 1 moggy than for my own life…

there’s no fear of that for me… I’m still at £5k a year my mortgage / life protection insurance.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Pet plan have paid out in the thousands for my pedigree cat. My two moggies are on the plan for less. I can reccomend pet plan as they are helpful and don’t fuss about paying up. Tesco gave my mum hassle when she claimed, now on pet plan through saga as over 65 get discount .

the-muffin-man

When we compared like for like cover More Than came out ahead of the others for both cost and cover. (on a Border Terrier).

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Pet insurance’ is closed to new replies.