Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Pest in the loft – can I shoot the 12 bore through the bedroom ceiling?
  • chameleon78
    Free Member

Obviously 12 bore not an option yet!
    Got some scratching rodent wearing clogs in the loft and its pi$$ing me off now!
    Planning on trapping it and killing it with a gun/terriers/stick.

Has anybody else had this problem?

gwaelod
    Free Member

where has it got in….find the hole and plug it after you've got rid of the little bugger. If you poison it it could get down a cavity wall and rot away in a smelly fasion for weeks.

IanMunro
    Free Member

I just use earplugs so I can't hear em.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

They tend not to die in cavities as the poison makes them thirsty and they die a slow death at their favorite watering hole. The rat we had was dispatched that way after 6 months of being woken by the damn thing.

tankslapper
    Free Member

You want a mink trap if its a rat – O.K. so its a live trap but my experience with traditional rat traps is a pi$$ed off live rat with its tail caught running from one end of the house to the other!!

http://www.targetsports.co.uk/images/uploads/minktrap30.jpg

HeatherBash
    Free Member

What – mice? Err I believe it's quite common;-) Why notput the gun away & buy a couple of mouse traps?

anagallis_arvensis

We have the same problem at the moment, I'm thinking of putting me lurcher up there!!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

If you use a trap, don't use a humane one – it will just come back as they are very habitual. And use peanut butter or chocolate as bait.

MrNutt
    Free Member

its squirrels, ask CFH if he can point his satellite towards your house, its the only way to be sure.

tankslapper
    Free Member

If you use a trap, don't use a humane one – it will just come back as they are very habitual. And use peanut butter or chocolate as bait.

The 'humane' mink trap idea ends in a bucket of water or a shotgun and a No7 shell…..

ratcatcher

time to get up there and look for droppings then you`ll know what is there, mice tend to sound larger than expected as they often run under the insulation, squirrels often sound like small children running around!

marsdenman
    Free Member

If you poison it it could get down a cavity wall and rot away in a smelly fasion for weeks.

mate of mine had a squirrel issue – 3 of 'em – two ex-squirrels were located, the 3rd was AWOL, then they started to get a very bad smell in their bedroom……

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Squirrels – rats with cute tails. Hate the ufckers.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

We had a mouse in our loft a few years ago. 2 nights of the same 'mouse in clogs' would start at 9pm on the dot.

Bought a £1.99 mouse trap and put a little dab of chocolate spread on it after advice on here. 9pm came and within 2mins there was a snap. Next day i disposed of the trap and mouse. No issues.

I laid the trap in the area near where it was evident the mouse had been.

Hope this helps

toys19
    Free Member

trapping is fun, buy a live trap, great for pigeons too, them's noisy barstewards at dawn in the summer when you've got your windows open cos its boiling and the last thing you need at 4am is some flying rat cooing in your ear 👿

Stoner
    Free Member

Squirrels are to rats what the Tories are to Labour:

Fundamentally the same repugnant beast, but with better PR.

😉

IanMunro
    Free Member

LOL!

big-chief-96
    Free Member

we had the problem, got a couple of cats from kittens, newtered them when they were yound but kept playing with them (let them bite your fingers etc) train them up on flys that buzz about the windows in summer and then all rodent problems were gone. They even bring home fully grown rabbits but they only eat the brains……..

Or, borrow a neighbours cat 😀

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

can I shoot the 12 bore through the bedroom ceiling?

Well, from what I have seen in films, that tacit invariably fails.

But as I suspect that it is because the "hero" always needs to get away…….I would give it a go anyway.

Specially if you're quite fast at reloading.

iDave
    Free Member

you need to climb into a ventilation shaft with a gun and allow the hunt to progress from there

big-chief-96
    Free Member

i have just had another brainwave!!

LET THEM BURN!!!! 😯

Radioman

If its in the loft which is not accesible to other animals/small kids I would use "Racumin" rat poison made by Bayer Chemicals which is available at garden centres. Works well. Its an anti-coagulant. You just leave some in a few "bait stations" where the noise is coming from. Old plastic food containers are ideal. Takes about a week to kill them. Works well on Rats and mice. Dont forget to top the feed up as the little pests like to eat the stuff.

chameleon78
    Free Member

Cage trap or a fen trap I think is the way forward.
    I haven't got any no. 7's so I'll use a nice 32g 6!
    If I catch it of course!

MrNutt
    Free Member

big-chief-96 are you sure you don't have a pair of zombie cats? careful because their prey also becomes the undead, I can't even begin to describe the mess an undead pigeon made of the inside of my orangery, if you experience similar I can recommend growing a Nepenthes bicalcarata in every room.

lagerfanny
    Free Member

can you borrow a hungry snake ?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Pest in the loft – can I shoot the 12 bore through the bedroom ceiling?’ is closed to new replies.