Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Perth Riders: Munda Biddi trail?
  • aphex_2k
    Free Member

1000km – the longest off road cycle track in the world?

Anyone done any sections of it? Would you consider doing the lot? I’m thinking of perhaps doing a charity ride and cycling the lot just wondered if I’m being totally delusional of my capabilities and fitness? Obviously would need a support team / van with camping equipment and food and spares. Just think that I take a lot from this world and want to push myself and earn a few coins for a charity.

Just thinking out loud at this stage.

longmover
    Free Member

Last year they ran a supported ride on the entire trail, I’m not sure if it will be done again this year.

The bits I have done and seen look fairly straight forward, some bits may get washed out quite badly. I have read there are a few purpose built shelters along the route for multi day rides. once you get down south there are quite a few DEC campsites next to the trail.

Good luck with the ride if you do it, I am perth based so if I can help you in anyway let me know.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

I think this year would be too soon for me. I’m thinking perhaps next year (2015) which would give me time to train and set things up sponsorship wise. Would be a winter thing as riding exposed or under trees in 30+ is too much. I did some of the Bibbulmen track a couple of years back with the missus and was woefully underprepared, ran out of water and had to flag down a passing ranger who laughed at us, gave us water and a lift back to town and told us we weren’t the first at cocking up and won’t be the last either!

Marmoset
    Free Member

I’ve done the first 16km with my 6 year old son and everyone reckoned that was the hardest part of the entire trail?? And then I’ve hit a bit of it down near Donnybrook. It won’t be a hideously technical trail. I read a good blog here but it looked to my mind as though far too much was being carried by that fella, I’m a travel light guy when it comes to hiking and riding .

http://pedaldamnit.blogspot.com.au/search/label/Australia%20%28Western%29

If you can get several weeks off work then it’ll be easy, I’d love to do it (my son keeps asking when we could do it!) I’d imagine it gets a bit less enjoyable when you’ve got some time pressure.

I think late October would be ideal to start it up in Perth as it’ll be warm but not too hot, and will get cooler as you get down south.

farm-boy

Yes you can easily do it. The trail is designed to be ridden over 3 weeks, but this is a painfully slow pace which suits the retirees who are the only few people who ride it. 2 weeks would still be a casual pace.

The excellent huts are spaced approx 45km apart so easy to do 1 per day, or double up on easier sections.

You don’t need, and the trail is not designed, to be done supported and doing so would ruin the experience. All you need is a means (rack, frame bag etc) to carry a sleeping bag and 1-2 days of food and half a days water. You can get an excellent TransWA bus to/from Albany with your bike.

The top 1/3 (Mundaring to Collie) is a pea gravel, rutted mess and to be avoided in summer and possibly at all. The trail conditions get better the further south you go, but more unsealed roads are used as opposed to trails. You will also pass through more towns (almost one per day) in the southern sections meaning you can virtually B&B tour.

Yes spring is best.

Lots of trip planning information and advice on their website:

http://www.mundabiddi.org.au/

perthmtb
    Free Member

Did a three day section from Mundaring to Jarrahdale last Autumn, and it was very enjoyable. We found the huts were spaced a little close together for fit cyclists, and we would arrive at each soon after midday, so ditto to farm-boy’s suggestion of doing two sections per day. Two of us used panniers and two of us trailers – those with trailers found the going much easier. You can hire a Bob Yak trailer from About Bike Hire in the City if you don’t want to invest in your own yet. The fully supported ‘tour’ longmover mentioned is very expensive – about $6k IIRC, so better to do it yourself and rope in a friend or loved one to be a support vehicle if you feel you need one.

perthmtb
    Free Member

The fully supported ‘tour’ longmover mentioned is very expensive – about $6k IIRC

Sorry, just checked and it was $3,500, but still damn expensive seeing as you are staying in huts/camping, and its your legs doing all the work 😀

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Perth Riders: Munda Biddi trail?’ is closed to new replies.