Viewing 36 posts - 41 through 76 (of 76 total)
  • Perth, Oz. Thoughts?
  • zokes
    Free Member

Bike stuff there is usually more expensive (though I got a pair of crossmaxes for about the same price as the uk). But remember: crc do free international delivery over $300, you don’t have to pay uk vat (so 20% off), and if it’s under $900 you don’t pay any Aussie import tax or gst either. Basically this means that if you’re organised, bike parts are actually cheaper than the uk!

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Wildhunter..Yep some pints are close to a tenner but you know, it’s nice cold beer. Little Creatures, Sail and Anchor, Coopers… All really nice stuff. I’d rather pay a little more for a couple of nice pints than a fiver for 2 pints of Carling or Carlsberg.

A box of 24 bottles would probs be around 40 bucks from the bottlo. Drive through, pick up a box and off to a house party or bbq. Simples.

franksinatra

This is all good stuff, really interesting and very helpful.

Just returned form a weekend trip to a friends wedding, they came back form Oz for the wedding. Grooms family is from Perth and they currently live near Darwin, soon to move to Gove (Gove is seriously remote, no road access for 6 moths of the year!)

Spent a lot of time talking to his family who are all Perth based. Chatting with them really reinforced what has been said by most people in this thread. great economy, well functioning town, good lifestyle, mining, mining and mining.

I think we do have the start of a longer term plan. Going to concentrate on getting things organised here with a view to looking for a move in the next couple of years. I don’t have those rose tinted specs that some potential expats have where they expect easy life, loads of money and daily bbq’s on the beach. I know it is still the real world but i do love the idea of the whole family just spending much more time outdoors. That is the message that keeps coming through. I do love the lush green hills of the UK though, I love the history, the accessibility and beauty of where I live so plenty of reasons to stay!

Will see how things pan out. Thanks again.

zokes
    Free Member

I think the bit that puzzles me most about brits moving to Oz has to be the assumption of spending more time outdoors. For all the great weather there can be in Oz, I can’t say the rain in the UK put me off being outside more that 40C and no ozone layer does in Oz.

Not meant as a dig, more a quizzical observation. If it’s cold you put more clothes on. If it’s hot you take them off, but only to a point, then you just get hotter…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Not meant as a dig, more a quizzical observation. If it’s cold you put more clothes on. If it’s hot you take them off, but only to a point, then you just get hotter…

When we traveled we found several aspects of this. 40c is not he annual temperature and sunscreen works quite well – so does the right clothes.

In WA we ate outside nearly all the time – the garden was another room in the house.

Night riding was very popular in summer.

Over here in Tasmania the trails are still dry and firm in most places despite a fair bit of rain so far. Winter is nearly here and I can still ride in shorts.

There are just less grim days really.

zokes
    Free Member

Over here in Tasmania

You could have just stopped there you bastard! I’d take the short hop in a flash if I could (in fact, our entire research group are considering a mass exodus to Hobart!).

I dunno. Personally I don’t spend noticeably more time outdoors (on the beach, maybe, but not in total). The slight issue of driving at dusk lest you hit a giant hairy grasshopper also makes getting away for a long weekend more of a challenge than the UK.

I guess I never let the UK weather bother me, just as for the most part I’m fairly ambivalent about the sun in Oz. Back in Europe for a couple of months now though and I hadn’t realised how much I miss the long summer nights (though obviously this is paid for by the short winter days)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Hmm the appeal of Tasmania…

Lots of outdoors, bad restaurants and overpriced stuff plus the “Island” mentality *100.

Seems to work as a “Move to” destination once you have made your money or if you can get into a Mainland paying organisation (Uni/Government/Medical).

WildHunter2009

Don’t get me wrong the price of beer only upsets me a bit, because the standard is pretty high and hell, i’m not going to stop drinking just cos its a wee bit pricey.

I would say the ‘ more time outdoors’ thing is actually a bit more complicated than people think. I would say over the year I have spent less time outside (Not including work) in Oz than I would have back home for various reasons. In the summer it does get stupidly hot, I tried riding in 42 degrees and frankly it was horrid. Night riding is an option I have yet to explore though.

Admittedly I have only been here a year so will acclimatise hopefully. Though my WA Gf rarely ventures outdoors all summer 🙁

Lack of daylight savings…. It gets dark early in the summer which sucks a bit. I do miss those long summer evenings.

Finally and I guess this doesnt apply to most, If you work in the resources industry you will probably work longer hours and for extended periods away from home, bikes etc.

On a more cheerful note, the winter is awesome if your used to the british version!

aphex_2k
    Free Member

You do spend more time outdoors, because you can. I’d get up in the morning and have brekky and a coffee in the garden. I’d get home from work and sit in the garden.

Even when it’s blindingly hot most houses I went to had shade sails so you’re not in direct sun.

I found 35c + didn’t feel as burning hot as the uk when it’s 25c. Mind, the “doctor” helps.

Really wish AHPRA would hurry up with my registration so I can get back there. Although I hope the power’s back on and the storms have died down by August! (Hope everyone over there is OK?)

stevego
    Free Member

As a melburnian, I spent 10 years in europe, 8 in london. The thing which really got to me was the really short winter days. I hated getting up in the dark, going home in the dark and grey outside most days. Just looked at sites with day lenghts to check, melbourne’s shortest day is 9 hours 33 mins, london is 7 hours 49 minutes (who thought anyone has enough time, or inclination, to organise and post lists of sunset/sunrise times for an entire year?)

Pigface
    Free Member

Perth with out the Doctor can get unbearable but when it kicks in it is blissful. 44 in Perth is doable because it is so dry, Perth was the first place I ever wore sunglasses religiously everything is so bright and the glare is relentless. A majority of the streets had canopies so there is shade to be in. Just follow the slip slap slop and you will be fine.

Herr zokes does seem to have the island mentality already 😉

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Dragging up an old thread but…

Me, the wife and the little un fly out to Perth on Monday. Ta-ta England! They tell me it’s cold there. Weather reports says it’s about 18c. Well, it is winter after all.

Bye bye singletrack, hello corrugated track!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Welcome from the other side!

perthmtb
    Free Member

Just got back from my regular Sunday morning ride in the Perth hills. It was a blast! As for the weather, it’s currently 21deg dry and sunny – isn’t winter a drag 😉

zokes
    Free Member

Welcome downunder! Was in perth for a couple of days last week – very agreeable temperature for winter, very disagreeable beer prices, even for an Adelaidian!

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Cheers Zokes… I’ll be getting a slab of Cooper’s Pale in no doubt. much cheaper from the bottlo!

It’s the rental market that supposedly through the roof and cut-throat that I’m more worried about.

OzInbred

zokes, you really must spend more time in Melbourne if you want disagreeable beer prices – $13 for a pure blonde!. was in Perth last week too and thought that it was quite reasonable. then again off to Auckland this coming week so will hopefully be pleasantly surprised, especially as I can get some Aussie beers cheaper than in Aus.

hugor
    Free Member

Well I’m about to head back home to Perth after 2 years in South Wales. To be honest I’ve got mixed feelings about it.

The Perth hills are great but a bit limiting as a mtb destination compared with everything I’ve done here. Riding from the front door is fantastic compared to the hills 45 minutes away. Its meant I can regularly ride mid week rather than a weekend affair.

Remote epics, big mountain riding, and short road trips to completely new terrain have been my pleasure here and you can’t do this in Perth.
    I might even give up mtb for a while and become a roadie like my other half. Then I can look forward to having beer cans thrown at me and abuse from the bogans (chavs) in passing cars.

Weather… well when its cold and wet you can adjust your attire but still get out. When its 42 degrees you’re a bit stuffed really!

perthmtb
    Free Member

Hugor, not slagging Wales (my parents lived in Brechfa), but I think you’ll be presently surprised how much the Perth MTB scene has developed in the two years you’ve been away …

zokes
    Free Member

@Ozinbred – that’s amazingly obscene! I thought $12 for a pint of Little Creatures in Leaderville was taking it a bit, but at least that’s decent beer! But bugger Aussie beer if you’re going to NZ – there’s plenty of native stuff there to drink 🙂

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Pale or Bright? Spent 2 years living across the road from the brewery in Freo. Man that was a tough time. Pipsqueek’s quite nice too if you like cider.

Left Bank and Tradewinds too…. Ooooh can’t wait! And another 10 weeks till my bikes turn up. Wwooooooo!!!

zokes
    Free Member

It was actually White Rabbit Dark, which whilst brewed in Vic seems to be owned by Little Creatures

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Didn’t go for the air freight on the bikes then?

It’s about $9/pint over here. Loved LC in Freo but they also have a dining hall in Melbourne which is a good alternative.

Got 23l brewing downstairs after 6 packs hit £20! There is always an offer on something and they import Brewdog if you fancy some proper beer.

rmacattack
    Free Member

heading out to oz september time, other coast. would love to keep mountain biking but i cant see it happening for a while, at least until i get settled. cost of living is ment to be a killer, all i hope is the works decent and i get into a decent socail circle.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Nah got 45cu metres of a container so we had some dudes come and pack our house up and send it off. Bikes were cleaned to forensic levels as were tents and shoes and hopefully AQIS won’t find any mud or infestations!

I may look into homebrew once I’m settled. Gage Roads IPA another nice one to try if you haven’t already?

Marmoset
    Free Member

Enjoy your flight, bring a warm jacket, it’s pretty cool early mornings at the moment. Plays havoc with kit for the commute, anything from 0-3 degrees in the morning and the close to 20 degrees on the way home.

Been wondering when the STW beer was mooted, guess it’ll be soon!

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Yeah flight’s gonna be fun. Fully walking / climbing 12 month old son will be entertaining…(We had a test run to Thailand a few months back and he was fine but wasn’t walking then) Oh well, it’s only 24 hours…

Marmoset
    Free Member

We told our son that pilots don’t take kindly to strops on planes by I don’t think a 12 month old will comprehend that! Just realised that it’s been a year tomorrow since we got here, time flies ‘n’ all that….

Rich

zokes
    Free Member

Just tell him that the pilot will make him get off if he has a strop, and won’t land to facilitate an easy departure 😉

aphex_2k
    Free Member

I don’t think people will mind. He’s pretty darn cute and loves to say “quack quack” because everything must be a duck. Going Emirates too so people can have a brandy, stick there headphones on and zone out. Me included 🙂

konabunny
    Free Member

zokes, you really must spend more time in Melbourne if you want disagreeable beer prices – $13 for a pure blonde!.

Where the hell are you going? I get dragged round some pricy places in Sydney and it’s not that much…

glupton1976
    Free Member

We are in the process of saving hard to move to Perth. Couple or three years and we should have enough cash to afford it.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

What’s your trade glupton? Is it on the skills migrant list? If so, try and get a sponsor. Might get there a bit sooner depending on the package they offer.

glupton1976
    Free Member

It will be physio (but i’ll only be a recent graduate), my wife will also be physio, but with 10yrs experience.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

not sure if it’s on the list but theres plenty of hospitals and heaps of private work. you should have no problem getting over there.

konabunny
    Free Member

I know that GPs are in desperately short supply in RRR (regional, rural, remote) locations. Is the same true of allied health professionals like physios?

Viewing 36 posts - 41 through 76 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘Perth, Oz. Thoughts?’ is closed to new replies.