Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Perth – Is it worth taking my bike on a business trip for a day or so of riding?
  • stewartc
    Free Member

As above, will probably be heading to Perth for 4 days in late Feb for business and was thinking of staying on for an additional two days.
    Is there trails nearby that would make it worthwhile bringing my bike along and are there issues taking a bike into Australia?

warns74
    Free Member

No issues in taking your bike to Oz, just make sure it’s very clean and declare it on your landing/immigration card, (they are very strict on disease control via soil, any plant matter etc) and will probably check it.

Check the airline baggage allowance for taking a bike too, I think virgin still let you take a bike for free.

I’ve not ridden near Perth but I think there are are few options. Have a look at:

http://www.trailmate.com.au/home/wa

Sundayjumper

Have you been to Perth in the summer ? It’ll be hot. High thirties, forty degrees hot. If you’re doing any riding it needs to be very very early morning before work.

My wife has family just outside Perth (in Bicton to be precise) and we specifically do not visit in their summer !

philstone

Agreed, spent 3 weeks out there this time last year, visiting the girlfriends sister. ON a good day the temp was only about 33 degrees… Regularly it went over 40.. Just walking to the shops was an effort. I thought about taking the bike but decided against it as Emirates wanted £800 return to take it!

thomasgeorge
    Free Member

A friend of mine was out there last Christmas, and did a bit of biking. Lots of good trails, but as other have said, it’s very hot, so suggest you take your lights, and go out at night.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Im in perth right now …. Wish i had a bike with me ….

Its 22 today but has been as high as 38 this week , had a good sized storm the other night that jet lag gave me the fortune of watching out the balcony for 3 hours

antigee

not a local, live in melbourne and its sort of summer here

assuming hiring a car would consider heading 3hrs south if time allows to Margaret River stay overnight enjoy the rural location and get up early, ride, then drive back – lunch stop and a cooling swim at Busselton would work

trail maps here http://www.mrorca.org.au/pages/maps-trails

no idea what i did but was good

and as above bike and shoes need to be clean for hassle free entry

antigee

off to bed and just checked weekend forecast/warnings

even near the city important, don’t forget to check bushfire danger ratings

http://www.dfes.wa.gov.au/safetyinformation/fire/bushfire/pages/firedangerratings.aspx

round here hot gusty winds from the north are worse – WA has has a different coding system but Severe upwards basically is no – top level means big and out of control fires will happen. (full stop)

stewartc
    Free Member

Cheers for the info, still not decided but close to booking a ticket.
    Like the idea of hiring a car and heading out so thanks antigee for the maps.

longmover
    Free Member

There are a few places to hire a bike so that could be an option. But it will be hot! It’s meant to hit 38 today, I will mostly be sitting inside with the air con on.
    If you do ride during the day in the summer you can play dodge the snake wich is a fun game 😕

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I take my roadie over to Perth when I go (from Tassie) time difference means I wake up early so a couple of laps of the river in the morning is quite plesant. There is a spot on the river somewhere that hires road bikes too.

WildHunter2009

Im up north at the moment but normally perth based. Its sodding hot on the kalamunda trails this time of year so lights is a pretty good idea. Also perths had some pretty bad bushfires recently so def be wary. I think kalamunda had a total vehicle ban few days back?
    The bike coaching / hire guys at the camel farm car park are great and have a solid selection of hire bikes. I think kalamunda cycles do hires as well.

If you hire a car head down to margs, the trails there are great plus colonial brewery is pretty close.

perthmtb
    Free Member

As others have said, we’ve got some great trails up in Kalamunda (about 45mins drive from Perth city centre) or head down to Margaret River (about 3.5 hrs drive south of Perth) if you’ve got more time.

Don’t bother bringing your bike just for a couple of rides, hire from these guys – Rock-n-roll MTB who are based at the Kalamunda trail hub, or hook up with these guys – Dirty Detours if you’re heading down to Margaret River.

Couple of other tips…

If you’re going to Margaret River, stay here as it’s a great spot in the forest and you ride straight out onto the trails.

It’s much cheaper to hire a car from these guys than the usual international firms.

Yes, its hot at the moment, so if you’re going up to Kalamunda aim to start about 6am and finish before 9am – not difficult as it gets light at 5am. It’s a bit cooler in Margaret River so you can ride all day if you take plenty of water.

If you decide not to MTB afterall, still worth hiring a hybrid from these guys and spending a day pootling around the fantastic network of bike paths that circle the Swan River and Parks around the city.

Give me a shout if you come down and if I’m free I’ll take you for a ride in Kalamunda in return for you doing likewise next time I’m in Hong Kong 😀

trail_rat
    Free Member

I wont be needing a bike now … Im buggerd.

Spent the day wakeboarding at deep point, i dont think ive ever done anything thats been so sore so instantly afterwards all over the body.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Perth – Is it worth taking my bike on a business trip for a day or so of riding?’ is closed to new replies.