Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Perth – Australia. Anyone ridden (MTB) there?
  • tubthumped
    Free Member

I may have the opportunity to spend 2 months in Oz (Perth in particular) with work.
    If it goes ahead, I shall be out maybe as early as next week.
    If i do go, what riding is there to do? Obviously I’d like to take the bike so hoping there is plenty to go at!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

What time of year, it can get a bit warm…

Marmoset
    Free Member

Yep, good trails up in the hills (look up Kalamunda Mountain Bike Collective) and some further down south but I’m pretty time poor so stick to the hills for my fix.

Was a nice moist 14 degree day on my Sunday ride – made a pleasant change to see some mud. If you have a choice of bike I’d bring the FS (rocks can get a bit tiresome on the HT) and make sure you bring plenty of tubes or run tubeless. Something like a Maxxis Ignitor up front so you get some grip in the pea gravel would also be good.

Send me a PM if you do come over – I’m sure I can get out a few times with you.

Rich

Edit – clean that bike well before packing it up, as in “can eat off it” clean….customs wont let it in without a good scrub otherwise.

tubthumped
    Free Member

Thanks Marmoset.

I would be bringing the Fritzz, so FS with 160 travel. Also running tubeless with Hans Dampf. Should deal well with most things I would have thought….

Thanks for the tip on cleaning her up. I’ll get her bathed and moisturised tomorrow just in case it all happens pretty quick! lol

The talk at the minute is I could be flying out as early as next Monday – but nothing is confirmed yet.

I’ll take a look at the Kalamunda later on when I’m at work – ill claim it’s research into the job haha

farm-boy

As above. If in Perth you will need a car. Kalamunda trails are ~40mins drive to the east. Network of around 44km. Mainly intermendiate but some beginner and some good advanced. Perfect time of year at the moment for riding.

Some links for you.

Kalamunda Collective facebook group – good for hooking up with riding buddies

Not on facebook; they have some social rides on their website and a trail map.

Trails WA website for other trails. Kalamunda is the biggest network. Margaret River & Pemberton good for weekends away.

WAMBA website for the best events calendar. WAMBA facebook page for general news.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’ll probably be over for a week on the 18th august but I’ll be in the city so will probably just check the roadie in.

Wash scrub and chuck some new rubber on

tubthumped
    Free Member

Thanks again for the input gents.

I’ve got a brand new wheel-set being built up at the minute – If that’s ready in time it will have new tyres on anyway. If not then would you say a tyre change is a must, or just advised? (I assume it’s so I don’t bring some death maggot in that will wipe out all the natives…?)

A few more e-mails have flown around this morning, and it’s looking pretty likely I’ll be heading over – possible as early as Monday next week. Just waiting to see if my idea of fair financial remuneration is the same as my employers 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Last few when I’ve flown with bike they start with the wheel pockets on the Evoc bag, if they don’t like the look of them then they will delve right in. Basically don’t give them an excuse to go further. There is plenty of stuff we don’t have in Australia that the rest of the world has so bio security is taken seriously.

tubthumped
    Free Member

No problem – I’ll be going to the wheel builders later on today so should know where I’m at. Either way I’ll get some new rubber on.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Perth – Australia. Anyone ridden (MTB) there?’ is closed to new replies.