Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 160 total)
  • Persuade me NOT to cancel my subscription to Singletrack…
  • grantway
    Free Member

Cant you think for yourself !

hora
    Free Member

Lowey makes them sound like homoZombierotics 😆

NZCol

I don’t tend to buy the physical mag as its about $20 here, i am a digital subscriber tho and think generally it is a good magazine. we have Spoke here which is good as well but a bit more gnarl/jumpy/dh stuff which isn’t really my bag. I suppose it’s an evolution and I for one would find it hard to think of new articles all the time. Mike F, I dunno, sometimes Ok but other times awful and he slagged of adventure racing and then even worse mid-adventure race I was mentally agreeing with him. A low point in my life.

Edukator
    Free Member

You mean there’s a magazine too? It took me years before I clicked on “home”. It’s great now the chat forum isn’t cluttered with people rambling on about bikes.

clunker

seems to be running out of content these days, and know we have to wait until Febuary for issue 71

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

seems to be running out of content these days

This might sound negative, but it’s not meant that way:
    The thing with MTBing is that is has very little history. It’s a young sport that evolved from one place, and like it or not, it’s still very much a niche market in general. Most of the public aren’t interested in it, and racing gets little coverage. Compared to, say, motorcycling, the bikes are very simple, it doesn’t have the long history and variety of racing, it’s rarely televised, and it’s not as glamourous. People in general don’t aspire to the sport in the same way: I mean riders, journalists, and companies as a result.
    If you pick up a copy of BIKE or MCN SPORT (m/c monthly and glossy quarterly) you’ll see there is a MASSIVE amount more to write about, and those mags are light years in front of the MTB press, because they have the staff, the resources and subject in their favour.
    The MTB mags never will be anywhere near that sort of quality. There’s just not the attraction in the sport, the depth of knowledge or the stuff to write about.
    For instance, ST don’t write any technical articles, but I read a whole article on the decompression system on the Ducati Panigale engine the other day, and it was a good read. Can you imagine an in depth article like that on, say, shifter internals, or subtle changes to hyperglide? Nope. Me neither.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

seems to be running out of content these days

and:

The thing with MTBing is that is has very little history

…which is why if you fill a magazine each month with endless pictures of shiny, shiny new stuff, you never actually run out of new content. Facile as that might be.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

…which is why if you fill a magazine each month with endless pictures of shiny, shiny new stuff, you never actually run out of new content. Facile as that might be.

New? Maybe.
    Varied? Of wider interest? Nope.

And the testing itself, it’s all only opinions. There’s never any hard data gained, apart from maybe weight.

I quite like tests, but there’s only so many you can read before it gets old.

hora
    Free Member

It has lots of history! Repack etc but also do people think bikes were never ridden on paths, trails previous to this?!

I used to ride My Striker off road too!

Where MTBUK do ‘better’ (its not my cup of tea) nor is the rampant ad space but they cover more disciplines within cycling in their mag to keep something to write about.

Could STW expand in a similar (but in their own way) – with dedicated CX news and racing etc etc?

Could there be more emphasis and regular updates on racing in general- doesn’t have to be Dirt DH does it.

clubber
    Free Member

It has little comparative history.

Take roadies. The races still being watched have been raced for years – some approaching/over a century, many at least 50 years. The previous races still relate to the current ones so stories/etc about them are of interest to those with interest in the modern sport (generally speaking).

Rapack might be of interest up to a point but how well does it relate to current mtbing and more to the point, there’s only so much repack to go around. Riding on paths/trails/etc in the past was very different to what most people consider mtbing now (it was much more more roughstuff type) and so it’s only going to be of limited interest.

Nick

32 pages of ads in 130 pages, doesn’t seem too bad, more than I was expecting when I started counting them.

I think issue 70 is a good un.

djglover
    Free Member

Cancel your forum account whilst your at it pal…

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

It has lots of history! Repack etc but also do people think bikes were never ridden on paths, trails previous to this?!

Yeah. Repack. And that’s pretty much it. One article and you’re done.

I’m not trying to be negative, that’s just the way it is.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

It’s a magazine. Something to dip idly in and out of while you’re having a fag/coffee/dump. It only costs three quid, or whatever subscribers are paying. What do people expect?

Most months there are a couple of articles/pics I enjoy, and I still like the “getting a wee present in the post” aspect of having a subscription. The quality, in-depth articles are possibly spread more thinly over an increased number of issues but it’s still far more readable, nicer to look at and less flagrantly commercial than the likes of MBR and WMB.

*Puts shiny red apple on teacher’s desk and returns to seat*

robbo167
    Free Member

Magazines are like everything else,sometimes good,sometimes bad..for the individual reading it…..for me the good outweighs the bad…but the Scram feature nearly got launched across the room,I work in a German owned factory and have to suffer this propaganda b*ll*h*t every day,vetted interviews with selected staff,what about the assembly associates(mostly temps who were building fridges last week if its anything like our place)..why not quiz them on their love for bikes and how much free time/money they have?….10 pages for christ sake!!!!

big_n_daft
    Free Member

the good news
    they know the quality of the journalism affects the subs numbers

they are apparently going to target subs

however the proof will be in the writing

I’ve subscribed in the past, would do again if I felt there was something to read in it which wasn’t advertorial or skimpy product tests

TBH I’ve often found more interest in Shred articles, which is produced on a shoestring and you know their heavily supported by advertising but you can see the love for the sport side of MTB

EhWhoMe

Must admit im tempted to drop mine too but i have every single issue which makes it a bit harder due to the collection geek thing.. 😳

agree with robbo167 The SRAM Brochure that was put in this month was a bit much though.. 👿
    i Mean are there workshops really like that, it was like a celebrity new born photo shoot from hello or some nonsense..

Andituk
    Free Member

Really enjoyed the Dark Peak article in the new mag. I like Jenn’s stuff, she’s good, liked other articles she’s written too.

clubber
    Free Member

i Mean are there workshops really like that

Ours are at least as clean and tidy as that so I don’t see why not 😉

TeaBoyPaul

Mag is great, there is always SOMETHING worthy of a subscription in every edition..

I have to admit though, this years calendar pics are mostly total bobbins! Shame.

P

big_n_daft
    Free Member

I have to admit though, this every years calendar pics are mostly total bobbins! Shame

FIFY 😉

Frankers
    Free Member

Houns – Member

My bells and whistles subscription came to an end a few months ago, I didn’t renew. These are some of the reasons –

1. Premier content was frankly cr@p. It was rarely updated

2. The magazine. There became less and less that I wanted to read in the mag. I think the last thing I read was Chipps moaning about the Conservatives. I don’t want to read a bike magazine that is biased toward any subject/product.
    I think I read the first Ferrentino article, thought he was a tool and never read another one

3. Big increase in adverts

There are other reasons but can’t think for now

The only articles that I read in depth were those that went behind the scenes at bike companies

My reasons for cancelling last week are much the same as above.

The things I would have liked to have seen more off

1, Interviews with racers (xc, dh, cx) types, to get tips on training and their day to day life as a pro

2, More behind the scenes at bike companies, shops, race events, manufacturers

3, Section on recent events and results (XC, DH, Mayhem type events), and interviews of Joe Public riders

4, More reviews of niche/quality brands

5, Mainly products reviews “manufacturer against manufacturer” not just the odd random helmet/jacket/bars/stem….. review that was lent out to “My Mate Dave”

6, No more random articles about biking in countries I’m never going to go biking, more articles about countries/regions like Italy/France/Germany/Switzerland…

7, “Follow my progress” articles showing someone’s progress for a particular event or challenge, these I find particularly motivating, like the one in MBUK showing the young girl/model preparing for her 1st MTB race event.

I will miss getting the STW mag dropping through the door as I was always excited to open it when it came, for the past months though it has been a quick flick through and then never looked at again.

hora
    Free Member

2, More behind the scenes at bike companies

Me too but new up and coming bike companies. I’ve had enough of mags bi-annual advermercials on Orange Bikes.

Dirt sometimes runs articles on the micro brands. I like that.

(Proper ones though with full sussers etc, not companies that just sell hardtail frames in steel).

Metasequoia

Most of the items on your lists of ideal content already seem to be in the mag, to state the obvious a magazine can’t just comprise a tailored accumulation of an individuals personal interests and latest niche mtb obsessions.

I wonder if what is needed sometimes is change to keep long term subscribers interested. By the way there seems to be lot’s of recent Premier content, and let’s face it if you subscribe it’s ‘free.’ or at least no more that you paid before it all existed.

derekrides
    Free Member

I picked up the Nov mag when i was at bedgebury the other week cos there was a Transition picture in it, thought it was going to be my bike reviewed but it wasn’t, it came out this month, read what they said, won’t be bothering again as they’ve covered the two things i was interested in, other than computer mags I don’t really read mags about the sports I do unless it happens to be about a bit of kit I use or might want to use or am interested in what someone else had to say.

They called my bike a labrador ffs clearly got no idea about dogs..

Frankers
    Free Member

Just received the latest mag today and have to say what great content, think they have most items from my list above……

This mag will definitely be read cover to cover, won’t renew my subscription though and just have a flick through in WHS before buying

edoverheels
    Free Member

STW- Tough crowd
    Probably like many i read Dirt and Singletack. The others are awful. Always look forward to Singletrack arriving. Not all of it is for me but we are not all the same. Usually I read a book but if my concentration is lacking or time is short then a magazine is fine. just don’t take it too seriously. However, I ride every day and perhaps that alters my judgement.

crikey
    Free Member

MTB mags are like textbooks; they help educate you in/about the scene, but a time comes when you have read all you can and you simply don’t need them anymore.

It’s a tough game.

globalti
    Free Member

Could the general feeling of boredom with STW be a reflection of the fact that the readers are growing up and moving away from their obsession with mountain biking and even moving towards road riding?

Could this boredom (whispers) even apply to the writers? They have been producing top quality material for years now and must be feeling tired.

Could the boredom also stem from the fact that mountain biking, despite its chummy post-ride scene, is essentially a solitary sport like mountaineering? Road riding on the other hand is much more of a team or club sport with a long history, as others have mentioned, as well as a much wider range of ages and social backgrounds.

Mark

No one here is bored! Quite the opposite. The changes coming for Spring 2012 has everyone really quite excited. Nervous too 🙂

bullheart
    Free Member

The changes coming for Spring 2012 has everyone really quite excited.

What are the changes then?

stilltortoise
    Free Member

mountain biking, despite its chummy post-ride scene, is essentially a solitary sport like mountaineering? Road riding on the other hand is much more of a team or club sport with a long history

Interesting that. I get my kicks from mouton biking by being out with friends and challenging each other. I prefer road riding on my own.

As for the mag, I quite like the content. Who really wants to read “news” in a magazine? By the time it’s printed it’s old news that you’ve already read on the internet. That said I quite like MBUK in that I read about scenes I wouldn’t normally read about.

No, my (slight) beef with the mag is that the quality of the writing doesn’t seem to be as good as it used to be. It seems to be making a bit of a comeback, but there was a time when the writing had become very lame. I can get “bite size” writing on the internet. I want meaty stuff from Singletrack. Earlier this year I bought Top Gear mag for the first time and that really hit home how good a mag can be with quality writers. I actually look forward to anything Tom Ford has to write about. The fact it is about cars is almost incidental.

Mark

More app development, better integration across all the various platforms, better paper for the mag, less reliance on the newstrade and more focus on subscriber benefits. And by ‘subscriber’ we don’t just mean people who get the mag posted to them. If you have a ‘P’ next to your username then you can expect lots more from us.

In scale tests of blanks the mag will go from being around 385g to 550g in weight (lead imbibed paper you see 🙂

Seriously though for a moment, subscriber numbers have grown at such a rate that they have now overtaken the high street as our primary source of distribution. So instead of a mag designed for a newsagents shelf we are changing focus to design a mag for subscribers. Sim and Chipps are very excited as it’s like removing shackles and giving them the freedom to do what they want with the mag with much less of a commercial figure peering over their shoulder (me)saying things like,’can we make do with thinner paper?’, ‘Use the word ‘FREE’ on the cover really big so that news agent shoppers will spot it’.

Budget for editorial is increasing, budget for paper stock is increasing by £25k/year.

The way magazines are produced, sold and consumed is changing (has changed)and we are making the most of the changes. Hence we are about to advertise for a junior designer* to join Sim and develop Singletrack in the Spring.

Being an industry that had essentially a single monopoly draining huge amounts of cash from publishers through a single distribution system has resulted in large design and editorial compromises. Now that system is essentially in it’s last death throws publishers can finally stretch their legs a bit and start to develop new ideas and technology.

From our point of view, print is still a very important channel – but there are now many other ‘channels’ we can develop alongside print.. Mobile, website, tablet etc.

We’ve already cut ALL exports of the printed mag. Export sales of magazines have a typical efficiency of 20% – which means for every 2 copies sold abroad 8 get pulped. The waste is crazy! In the UK high street typical mag efficiencies are 50% – again this means printing 15k mags for newsagents shelves results in 7.5k of them being binned. Now the high street is no longer the primary market place for mag sales (at least for us) we can start cutting the waste and using the savings we make to spend on better things, like a better mag, new technology and subscriber benefits.

Despite this thread title and anything it may imply our subs numbers have increased by 20% in the last year.

Is that open and detailed enough? 🙂

*we are currently putting the job spec together and it will be up on the site early next week.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Look forward to it 🙂

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Cheers Mark… sounds like happy times at ST towers – good to hear the ins and outs – Sweet! 😀

iDave
    Free Member

Oddly, whilst I really like ST and the people who produce it, I don’t buy any magazines of any nature. I just like riding bikes and lose all interest when I’m not actually sitting on the things. I recognise the hypocrisy in spending time here without supporting them commercially. Maybe I should get myself a premier membership for chrimbo even though I doubt I’d use any premier features.

robbo167
    Free Member

I was going to rant about not having the Editors Choice article (one Ive enjoyed over the years)actually in the mag to read at leisure instead of hunched in front of a screen..but having read Marks Bit I feel like one of those dinosaurs who didnt pay much attention to the light going a bit dim…
    Please dont forget us…

By the way,have I told you how much I hated the Scram sales pitch?..hang your heads in shame..

Mark

Now, if there are any subscribers reading this who have yet to activate their Premier Account then please make sure you are not missing out by visiting http://singletrackworld.com/upgrade

It’s totally free and there’s a lot of content behind the doors in the mag archive. The story on the front page currently about the mag lists all the extras we’ve crammed into issue 70’s digital version. We are honing our development skills and this level of extras is just the beginning. There will be an app specifically designed to view the site and access the forum with extra enhancements for Subscribers that will also work as a mag reader for the content in the mag archive. There will be more eBooks. Issue 70’s eBook version is the best one yet in terms of layout and formatting and even includes the product reviews and images that can be enlarged. It contains ALL the editorial content from issue 70 plus selected images and NO ads at all and it all squishes down to just 1.5mb and is a great way to read the mag on a mobile device without having to keep zooming and scrolling.

It’s important to realise that as we develop these new ways of delivering the mag content we are not going to charge extra for them. If you are a subscriber then these extra ways of reading our content will be included in your sub automatically.

The all new, redesigned Premier Members’ Card has just been sent out to the first batch of subscribers. As subscriptions expire your new sub will be accompanied by this new card. Just a small benefit but it signals the major refocus on subscribers.

Now, in the spirit of openness here’s our thoughts on pricing for the new year…

The printed mag will become more expensive. We are increasing our print costs by £25k/year so there’s no way we can keep it at the current price level. The price increase will be significant but it will only affect the copies sold in shops.

The subscription price will rise by a small amount to essentially cover the extra cost of posting it. The weight of the mag will increase from 385g to 550g and we already spend £23k/year on posting it to subscribers. However, the price rises won’t come in until the second issue of the new format so everyone will be able to try the new format out and even subscribe at the old price for a year before the new price kicks in.

geologist
    Free Member

I like STW, but I also like all the other (well most) bike mags.

I do however think that there are alot more things that could be covered that arent really touched on anywhere else.

How about articles on normal people. As much as I get inspired by Peaty and Danny Hart, I also like to read about other ‘normal’ people. Articles about how normal people fit biking into their lifes could be interesting. A week in the life of your average british biker who hacks around in his own patch 99 rides out of 100.

And mountain biking does have a wealth of history. There are numerous articles that could be writtain about the past, even just in Britain alone. How about the epic clashes between David Baker and Tim Gould, Tomac, Overend, theres more history than the repack.

The copy of the free BMC subcribers magazine from a few months ago was great, possible the best magazine I have read in years, and it was because it was about real people, and real things, about normal venues. It made a change to articles about pro climbers climbing in Pakistan and making winter Eiger ascents.

More of this in STW please. More than happy to write an article 🙂 I dont charge too much either 🙂

ohnohesback
    Free Member

I haven’t bought a ST mag for about three years. Partly it was the layout and style of the mag, the gratuitious exposure of the naked flesh and egos of the ST staff, the increasingly small print, and that ST seemed to have lost the spark that made the early issues so different to the mainstream bike mags. Sadly ST seems to have gone after the MBR market, and in doing so it has left many of those who supported it alienated.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 160 total)

The topic ‘Persuade me NOT to cancel my subscription to Singletrack…’ is closed to new replies.