Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 152 total)
  • Personal injury small claim – where to take it/general advice?
  • hora
    Free Member

But you are missing the point such steps are everywhere. Dont go near any houses over a certain age as external steps can be worn and uneven. Calderdale, Yorkshire etc all have these and in the lanes etc around.

Just say your partner hurt herself and you are looking at what factors that you can aportion blame and you are looking for money from the landowner.

Going back to your original post. You state that you hope by raising a claim the steps will be rectified but what if the steps were examined and found to be in good repair, no lose flags, raise sections or slip hazard? What you deem to be dangerous (as you are now focused on the steps themselves due to your incidence) might not even be noticed by you or anyone normally. Have you walked these steps before for instance?

In the case of the STW’er with the burn- that I can understand. It is an item that is being run/in a state of hazardous temperature to people. The same could be said of the step(s) if one of the steps was cracked or raised (all IMO).

OP- you’d be better off reapproaching Tesco’s or the landowner and following up/asking what they did or found.

Throwing in a speculative money-cast to offset the pain of your partners fall isn’t quite right.

I’m out by the way.

I still rememeber the bridleway claim and Llandegla carpark claim (someone fell off their bike due to loose surface?).

barkm
    Free Member

giving you the benefit of the doubt in respect of motives for a claim, what puzzles me is you are blaming the steps entirely.

IANAL but I should imagine any claim will be defended probably on the basis of whether there is a history of accidents occurring on those steps. With a view to shifting a degree of responsibility on the person using the steps if there isn’t, which is quite right and something you don’t seem to have considered.

The way you should think of it is have you been a victim of a previously identified hazard with a reasonably frequent history of causing accidents? The car wash above being a good example.
    So if you are serious about it I would be looking to find other examples, and if you find a case where it was raised with Tesco AND they committed to repairing/improving the steps, you would likely have a case.

Personal responsibility cannot be ignored (which you seem to be doing), can you prove your partner wasn’t distracted? Using a phone for example, talking, messing about? These are the questions that will be asked.

Just because your partner had an accident on those steps, does not make them dangerous steps.

Drac

A pensioner falling on steps earlier.

If it’s not about the money then why are you asking about a personal injury small claim?

Contact the council, contact the area manager ask why anything hasn’t been done or forget about and accept sometimes accidents happen.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Good point about distracted, the first thing I asked her. No she wasn’t.

I am not ignoring personal responsibility, I am rebutting those saying there’s nothing wrong with the steps by pointing out this is exactly described as being dangerous by the HSE.

I appreciate your post though.

cynic-al
    Free Member

This is beginning to worry me…that people who know nothing about H+S anything are so keen to talk about it.

Are you new here?

Why not complain too the council then, no money involved, impartial judgement.

martinhutch

I see where you are coming from, but I don’t think contacting NWNF lawyers will be either fruitful or stress-free for you and your other half. TBH I’d be surprised if any of them took it on, and they’ll probably just sell your contact details to 400 other scumbags.

Are you sure you’ve exhausted all other avenues? Did you write to just the stores or to the management company of the retail park? Threatening to engage vulture lawyers might be a better bet than actually doing it.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

@drac, only because I know it would make them actually do it. This is Bradford, nobody does anything unless forced. 10 weeks have elapsed and they haven’t bothered to fix them, or even put a sign up.

I probably also should have mentioned that she’s been unable to take part in her main hobby (horse riding) for those ten weeks. The only reason it hasn’t wasted 10*20 quid horse rental if because it just happens she was between horses at the minute (she’s competed at Eventing at a national level, so she’s far from a wuss/scared)

Drac

Ah so this bit.

With the pain and inconvenience, and having seen that the steps are in the same state, we’re thinking of asking for some compensation; both for the unnecessary pain/inconvenience and to make them fix the steps!

Is not about the cash either?

hora
    Free Member

Why would it make them do it?

What if the steps have been inspected and deemed safe?

If you are so sure would you be prepared to pay the landowner etc costs in defending your proposed action?

Sometimes we have to blame our own clumisness. Its not always blame something around us. My 5yr old trips over almost every raised or cracked paving slab.

Rorschach
    Free Member

(I hope she recovers fully from the emotional distress of not being able to use stairs but ffs don’t take her biking)

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

@cynic-al, I see where you’re coming from, and no I’m not new 🙂

The council line is sounding useful yes. In the 10 weeks we’ve spoken to lots of people about it (unavoidable with your arm in a sling etc), and literally everyone had told us to claim.

No one has mentioned going through the council before, so we didn’t think about it.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Had it occurred to you that the steps might have recently degraded? Perhaps the top slab has just sunk below the concrete. Perhaps lots of people have tripped on them (seeing as they explicitly breech the very short HSE guidelines, it seems quite possible).

I live in a city with many many sets of Roman steps all of which are understandably uneven – I’ve never seen anyone trip not have I ever heard/read of anyone claiming compensation for ‘dangerous Roman steps’.
    Sorry GFS but tens or even hundreds of thousands of people will have used those steps and not fallen, they’re not perfect but certainly not dangerous.
    Time to move on.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

@drac, only slightly. As stated, a bottle if wine and some money for the food bank (kinda what work she’s involved with) would be plenty.

There’s a lot of projection going on…

@rorschach, she’s learning fast, actually.

Rorschach
    Free Member

and literally everyone had told us to claim

If literally everyone on here tells you to htfu will that make a difference? (maybe with some ££’s attached)

Drac

As stated, a bottle if wine and some money for the food bank (kinda what work she’s involved with) would be plenty.

Sorry I’m not buying into that even with the food bank line. I really can’t see why you’d go through a compensation lawyer for unnecessary pain and inconvenience for a bottle of wine and a donation to charidy.

Just raise the bar with the council and higher management as already mentioned.

convert

and literally everyone had told us to claim

Did you show ‘everyone’ that photo or just tell your horror story? If everyone you know saw that photo and came to that conclusion and literally no one on this thread who has seen the photo to date is on your side, does that not say something about who you mingle with?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I don’t know what that “H” means.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

@drac: well you probably know more about it than us. I thought it was supposed to be really easy. If it takes ages then we probably won’t want to do it, which is kinda the point of the thread.

The statement about the foodbank is the way we roll, its true. Anyway, you can disregard and just go with £25 and the steps fixed.

johndoh
    Free Member

I can’t add much more than 😯

Drac

Ok.

Maybe your thread title should have been “How do we encourage a retailer to fix these steps?”

Then discussed the injury and how it supposedly occurred that you’d asked they be looked at but weren’t happy with the outcome. Then asked what is the best way of addressing this.

See no need to mention injury lawyers, compensation for pain and inconvenience or indeed food banks.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Maybe, but as I have explained in detail I don’t see the issue.

Conclusion: people like leaping to conclusions.

hora
    Free Member

From your OP

With the pain and inconvenience, and having seen that the steps are in the same state, we’re thinking of asking for some compensation

and

There’s loads of No-Win-No-Fee types around, but won’t they just win and take the awarded money?

Post-flaming you now change that to food bank and/or wine…

Look, just contact a no-win solicitor. The claim will be defended, you’ll have cost the taxpayer or landowner money but the stairs will be the same.

As I said, a couple of years ago someone posted up that they tripped on the way into the University carpark over ‘uneven surface’. I responded and was flamed. In the same topic the OP admitted to having brought a previous claim again said-Uni. He couldn’t grasp that not all carparks are billiard-table smooth….

johndoh
    Free Member

Did she trip on the litter at the top of the steps too? Danger everywhere!

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Actually, scrub that, we don’t want any money, just the steps fixed.

@hora, yes that what I typed, but you have no idea how much we had in mind, so I posted later with some info. WRT the charity, she works for a charity (see previous posts) and is tasked with raising money for them. As were just about to leave, any money that we were imagining might come from it (literally no idea how much, again, hence the post) would be given to the charity as a leaving gift/ fundraising contribution).

Why is it harder to believe what I am telling you are our motives than what you assume you know about us?

The point was to ask about it, the only reason I am still posting, despite the unpleasant reaction, is because people are making assumptions and also because the steps are dangerous, precisely because they’re man made and still uneven. WRT Roman/historic worn steps – they’re clearly worn so you take extra care. These aren’t.

And the escalator point- look at the top of an escalator, there are small ramps at the top, precisely to avoid this issue.

Look, I honestly don’t mind advice, but projection and assumptions are not helpful.

martinhutch

money for the food bank (kinda what work she’s involved with) would be plenty.

Be honest. She’d been bin-diving at the back of Tesco and was staggering back with an armful of out-of-date noodles…

hora
    Free Member

Are the steps in a dangerous state of repair?

Drac

Conclusion: people like leaping to conclusions. down steps.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Additionally, “common sense” is bullshit, there is no such thing, as demonstrated…
    …here.

johndoh
    Free Member

because the steps are dangerous

But they are not. Do you know how many other people have been injured on them? If it turns out there has been lots of accidents on them then perhaps you would have grounds for a claim but I really don’t think that will be the case.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Its probably easier for the OP to try and get the steps “fixed” than tell his OH that she’s a clumsy cow?

sharkbait
    Free Member

WRT Roman/historic worn steps – they’re clearly worn so you take extra care. These aren’t.

….. and so she wasn’t taking care?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

@johndoh – I see what you’re saying. We don’t know if anyone else has been injured on them, and even if they had how many of them told the store about it.

My point about the steps being dangerous is based on the fact that she fell because:

The top step is half a brick higher, AND has a lip just where you are then forced to put your foot because it’s higher, AND then the car park is lower so if you fall you make a similar mistake in your reaction like the top step and fall awkwardly.

So we did nothing because Tesco said they’d fix it. But they haven’t. Now she’s still in pain, the steps haven’t been fixed and in the preceding 10 weeks+ literally every person has told us to sue them. In light of it not being fixed, we were thinking there might be a way to force them to fix it.

I honestly don’t mind having the piss taken a bit, it’s normal, but people saying it’s not dangerous are at odds with the HSE website:

“”Research has shown that the physical dimensions of stairs play a significant role in stair accidents.

Consistency of stair dimensions is very important. Even small differences in the rise or going between adjacent steps can cause someone to misstep which can lead to a fall.”

HSE Website
    , emphasis mine.

So I started the thread. Got some advice, and a lot of not-advice.

convert

and a lot of not-advice.

You got a lot of what you would like to consider non advice because it does not meet with your expectations. Common consensus from the vast majority who have seen that photo is that those steps are perfectly safely navigable irrespective of any HSE directive. I’d hazard a guess you have done so yourself loads of times without giving them a second thought. As such you are wasting your time.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

@sharkbait – she was taking the normal care. As i said our flat is 5*10 steps up, we don’t use the lift. Neither she nor I falls on them, but then they’re even.

@bigyinn – Again with the projections and abuse. She and I sat down last night and wrote this together. She’s reading the thread, that wasn’t nice was it?

The facts are these:

She fell, she’s hurt.

She’s spend weeks inconvenienced and delayed at work, assigned light duties, turned down leave/sick pay the doctor offered and now she and I want the steps fixed as we believe [backed up the HSE] that uneven steps are dangerous and other people might get hurt likewise.

Tesco promised to fix the steps, they haven’t. We are considering whether it would be right and how to go about forcing them to be fixed, and IF there was any small compensation [again, this would be legally handled so only awarded IF deemed necessary] we would want to use it for a good cause.

That’s it. Can you stick to the subject now?

ScottChegg
    Free Member

This is beginning to worry me, as a designer

It’s worrying me; as a normal human being.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I’d hazard a guess you have done so yourself loads of times without giving them a second thought

You’d be wrong, as it happens I have avoided them myself in the past as I didn’t like the look of them and being a fit young chap I was OK with navigating the bank.

The steps are the alternative to walking down a grassy bank between the car parks, which is what I have done in the past, but isn’t safe if the grass is wet. The other alternative is the car ramp, but there’s cars driving on it.

The “no-advice” relates to the abuse, not the advice, which is what we asked for.

sharkbait
    Free Member

My point about the steps being dangerous is based on the fact that she fell because: blah blah blah

IF this was the case then, given that these steps are located between two popular stores that are open 7 days a week, it would be reasonable to expect a large number of people to have fallen at exactly the same place.
    If this were the case then the steps would have been altered already.
    Have you sat and counted the number of people falling on the steps in, say, a 6 hour period?
    How do you know that the management company have not already inspected the steps and found them to be perfectly alright – which is why nothing has been done?

gonefishin
    Free Member

This…

“”Research has shown that the physical dimensions of stairs play a significant role in stair accidents.

Consistency of stair dimensions is very important. Even small differences in the rise or going between adjacent steps can cause someone to misstep which can lead to a fall.”

…is a very long way from “uneven steps are dangerous and must always be fixed”

If you really really want the steps fixed then the HSE are the best route for you to go down, just don’t expect it to be a quick process. Who knows Tesco might have far more dangerous steps in other parts of the country that need fixing first.

stevepitch
    Free Member

As this document is not retrospective many existing buildings may not conform to current regulations. To reduce the risk of accidents you should attempt to bring older stairs up to current standards, when the opportunity presents itself.

Quoting specific sections of the HSE website to justify your greedy intent isn’t the way to go.

On a serious note tho if you just want the steps fixed and genuinely don’t want any money (despite your original money grabbing op) I would do the following.

Check with the local authority / land registry who definitely owns the steps it may not be who your think it is despite how it looks. If it is tescos (or another business) get all the relevant details about the store, the managers name who it was reported to date times weather conditions when the accident happens. etc and write to head office, if it’s the local authority contact them and ask who deals with h&s then write to them as above as they will have a team who deals with it. Include in the letter any information from the doctor about the damage sustained (you did go to the doctor right) photos from the day proving weather conditions witness reports etc. If after all of that some one qualified in h&s tells you to do one, go and follow your blood sucking friends advice and go to a nwnf lawyer but be prepared to go to hell as that’s where you’re going to end up based on just that one photo.

The odd thing is if I lived closer I would come and assess these steps for free as I strongly believe it’s this type of claim culture that is ruining h&s.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

OP – I now know where those steps are 🙂

I have walked up them, my wife has walked up them, and even my 4 yr old walked up them, none of us died horribly (phew)

I am now in a dilemma. Do I

A, go back and fall horribly on them and claim lots of £££

B, go back and tape them off to protect the innocent public from these evil steps?

C, start a skills course business for people wanting increase their skills walking up and down steps?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 152 total)

The topic ‘Personal injury small claim – where to take it/general advice?’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts