Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Personal best but not quick enough.
  • onandon
    Free Member

Relive
    Four years ago I did my first lap of Lake Geneva. Since I moved back to in April ive been obsessed with doing a sub 6 hour lap.
    It’s a challenge but possible. Enough of a challenge that I’ve promised myself a new road frame if I can do it.

Yesterday I managed a 6.03.

Really please that it’s my personal best, but equally screwing that its soooooo close.
    Technically I did the lake in 5.30 but I want to do door to door in under 6.

Anyway – I see clip on aero bars in my future.

philjunior
    Free Member

It’s interesting that nobody’s arbitrary target is ever 5h58min or 6h7m30s or anything.

Do you really deserve a new frame if you have to resort to clip on bars for it?

antigee

being a bit tough on yourself? 3mins on a 6hr ride is less than 1% off target – either analyse and improve if fixated or have a beer and say near enough is good enough and is that an average of 30km/hr for 6hours? with no coffee stops?

ransos
    Free Member

A new road frame would definitely get you under 6 hours.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

If only you had Ghostracer Pro on a device that could do audio feedback, telling you how your pace was compared to someone’s sub 6 hour segment time. 😉

Joking aside, it’s a great tool if you are PB hunting. This summer, I once took my Nexus tablet with me up in the South Downs and improved my PB on four of five cat4 hills I rode that day, partly because Ghostracer Pro was telling me my progress, the one that didn’t improve was the one where the segment start was not picked up by Ghostracer. http://www.strava.com/activities/1068540608

But over 6 hours, all sorts could happen, like suddenly getting the headwind from hell… Which http://mywindsock.com/ could tell you.

Awesome ride btw!

rocketman
    Free Member

Lots of these on my segments

The trick is to ride it different. If you put the same effort in at the same places, brake and accelerate at the same places your time will never change.

Ease off somewhere and pin it somewhere else

Good luck

onandon
    Free Member

30km/hr for 6hours? with no coffee stops?

Yep. 18.5 mph average over 6 hours non stop. ( other than at traffic lights )

I use a wahoo ELEMNT so if / when I do my next lap I can use that as a “ ghost “ target to beat.
    Average heart rate was 156 with a max of 185 ( I’m 41 for what it’s worth ). I’m not sure I left much on the table.
    32% 1 hour 56 was spent between 162 and 185 bpm
    58% 3 hour 30 was spent between 143 and 161

Maybe I should do it at night so I can do a traffic free lap 🙂 ….. hummmmm
    Need to check how long a strada 1200 will last

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

I see clip on aero bars in my future.

I see running red lights in your future!

philjunior
    Free Member

Clip ons would certainly get you there all other things being equal. It’s a pretty good effort as it stands, to be honest!

onandon
    Free Member

I see running red lights in your future!

I think I’d rather be three minutes slower and alive 🙂

TiRed

Just press on. In a similar vein I would like a sub seven hour M25 ride. It’s 225km, so doable. I count all time except the waiting for the bus at the Thames crossing.

Aerobars will get you under with ease.

onandon
    Free Member

When I move back to the UK The m25 ring is on my list of things to do.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Personal best but not quick enough.’ is closed to new replies.