Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)
  • Perpetual Motion
  • MrNutt
    Free Member

Not only does it have a wonderful history of failed inventions, schemes, scammers and blaggards it also has the potential to provide free and clean energy forever.

I find it all very intriguing, what with Len’s law now having been overcome, its looking like a real possibility?

Anyone else into this, tell me what you know!

IanMunro
    Free Member

I’d like to tell you but I’ve signed an NDA.

toys19
    Free Member

Mr Nutt, I am worried that you are losing the attributes of your namesake. What are you going on about? Do you mean Lenz’s Law? Conservation of momentum? Overcome? What? Explain with links..

molgrips
    Free Member

Obvious troll is obvious.

toys19
    Free Member

Molgrips, I am such a sucker. One born every minute.

MrNutt
    Free Member

yes, I mean’t Lenz

here you go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MNVQUTmavw

(but I know of someone who has actually achieved it)

wors

I have a perpetual motion device that works in my garage. Trouble is I’m scared I’ll get bumped off if it goes public. You can buy it off me if you like for 10 million quid.

MrNutt
    Free Member

how do you stop it? what if the speed keeps increasing the more load you put on it?

molgrips
    Free Member

but I know of someone who has actually achieved it

I don’t think you do 🙂

MrNutt
    Free Member

why so you doubting thomas?

Garry_Lager

Science is the art of the soluble, MrNutt, according to Peter Medawar. It’s a great quote, because it helps you discriminate between truly interesting and important problems in science, and ones that just appear interesting on the surface. Perpetual motion is an example of the latter, it’s barely even that tbh. Origin of life studies are another example – a minority of brilliant work but a majority of pish that lacks the art of the soluble.

Junkyard
    Free Member

i think he doubts it because it violates many of the laws of physics.
    FWIW I am with him on this one

MrNutt
    Free Member

like disprin?

wors

quantum physics or ‘normal’ physics? 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

There is only one physics silly ……..when i finish Unifying it I will let you know 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Cat + buttered toast + drop. Simple.

sparkyrhino

Perpetual motion.paahh think chunk doing a truffle shuffle

wors

There is only one physics silly ……..when i finish Unifying it I will let you know

Ah but is there??

molgrips
    Free Member

By definition, of course there is. Physics means the study of how everything works.

It may well be the case that we are only aware of part of it.

nicko74

Question: if perpetual motion is possible, aren’t we doomed to a world of rapidly increasing temperatures and general suchnsuch? As in, the motion/ slowing it causes heat; the motion never stops, so it’s a never-ending source of heat. Do it on a big enough scale and watch it all go pear-shaped…

gusamc
    Free Member

build yourself a hydraulic ram pump (thanks Montgolfier brothers), ok, it needs running water but that can be had free, they can go forever

sas
    Free Member

It’ll keep heating up until it hits 2,147,483,647. Then it’ll overflow and jump to -2,147,483,648.

finishthat
    Free Member

Always wanted an Atmos clock – environmental battery!

MrNutt
    Free Member

I seem to remember seeing a strange clock thing in one of the Houses of Oxford University

sas
    Free Member

The Clarendon Dry Pile?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxford_Electric_Bell

As an alternative to watching paint dry there’s the pitch drop experiment
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pitch_drop_experiment

racefaceec90

here’s all the proof you need that it is possible 😉 [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVFg-k6EpH0[/video]

cynic-al
    Free Member

So does this machine use Kaesae bearings?

coffeeking
    Free Member

As a chappy working in engineering in a university I’ve so far signed 3 NDA’s to look at (quite well qualified people’s) ideas for perpetual motion machines in the last 2 years. All of which could be blown out o the water in 5 mins with some quick calculations and common sense. I don’t see it happening any time soon.

convert

When I was 7 or 8 I went to bed with a pad and pencil and invented a perpetual motion vehicle (big metal object at the front and bloody great magnet at the back) and went to sleep happy in the knowledge I had solved a major world problem so easily. I woke up in the morning, took one look at my sketch and realised I was an imbecile and would have to satisfy myself with a life of mediocrity. Probably one of the most depressing moments of my life.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I was once at a technical conference in Edinburgh Uni where an engineering student stood up and asked if there were better ways of recovering energy in a vehicle (than solar panels on the roof) “such as placing a large wind turbine on the roof”. There was a large intake of breath and a the mutterings of dissappointment spread throughout the room. The student, clearly aware of the growing unrest around him said “I’m just one man in one minute and I can come up with something like that, if lots of us think about it…”. I’m amazed the speaker didn’t even break into a grin, he carried on very professionally.

bullheart
    Free Member

When I was 7 or 8 I went to bed with a pad and pencil and invented a perpetual motion vehicle (big metal object at the front and bloody great magnet at the back) and went to sleep happy in the knowledge I had solved a major world problem so easily. I woke up in the morning, took one look at my sketch and realised I was an imbecile and would have to satisfy myself with a life of mediocrity. Probably one of the most depressing moments of my life.

Weirdly enough I went through the same thing with a MAGLEV train I’d designed. I thought I was a genius. The Germans and the Japanese thought I was forty years too late.

Onzadog
    Free Member

If you put a fan on the rot of a car, will it recovery energy on a treadmill?

coffeeking
    Free Member

If you put a fan on the rot of a car, will it recovery energy on a treadmill?

Only if there’s a breeze blowing!

molgrips
    Free Member

Actually, there is something to think about here. Perpetual motion is clearly nonsensical since where does the extra energy come from? Even if you had perfect bearings in a vacuum and made a machine spin indefinitely, the moment you try and draw any work from it it’ll slow down.

The real question is about converting energy from somewhere that’s either a) not obvious b) currently unknown or c) readily available and free/really cheap.

Nuclear fusion would come under c) but would have been in categories a) and b) 100 years ago.

GrahamS

I’m sure the answer is magnets. 😀

wors

I’m sure the answer is magnets.

I agree 8)

convert

I’m sure the answer is magnets.

Good luck with that! Been there, done that. Can’t take the disappointment of going down that road again. 😉

portlyone

You need something that uses the particles that continually blink in and out of existence

Garry_Lager

What about a piezoelectric motor sat on a car engine? To capture the wasted vibrational energy of the car.
    You could then use the motor to power a little smiley face that lights up on the dashboard. It might quieten down the car a bit too.

Aidy
    Free Member

What if you mount the fan perpendicularly to the direction of motion?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)

The topic ‘Perpetual Motion’ is closed to new replies.