Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Permission or forgiveness??
  • akasteve
    Free Member

Want new bike, missus doesn’t understand ‘N+1’.
    So which one did you go for?
    Any repercussions?

scotroutes

What is she doing on New Years Eve?

akasteve
    Free Member

Ha ha, if I go for forgiveness I’ll let you know!

PiknMix
    Free Member

Just buy a new bike as long as you can afford it from your wages without the household income suffering. If she minds, you married the wrong woman.

Junkyard
    Free Member

You need to talk about it but if you can afford it and have space then you should be fine doing this IMHO.

How many pairs of shoes does she have? Say you need it to match your outfit 😉

JEngledow
    Free Member

Make sure it’s the same colour as the others and she’ll never know (unless your silly enough to allow her access to your garage/shed)!

sandwicheater

Permission. Honesty is always the best policy.

We are in a tight spot regards money (just set up my own business) and permission was sought for a new build. I argued this bike would remain unchanged for a few years while we get back on our feet.

She understood how much cycling means to me and authorisation was provided. Build budget did spiral out of control but I blame the terrorists, blooming terrorists!

IanMunro
    Free Member

DT78
    Free Member

Lol 😉

Sell lots of stuff on eBay, show other half how much money is in the paypal account, when it gets to a decent level (say £1k) spend 3 times as much on new bike. Say you got a great deal in the sales (you will won’t you!?) but never mention the true price…..

Alternatively do what some of my work buddies do, get stuff delivered to work and sneak it home…if it is the same colour she might not notice

MoreCashThanDash

Permission is always asked – money is tight, we have enough but we also have other needs as well – next years school trips are looking £400!

Make sure it is proper permission – turns out “do whatever you want!” will not count as permission after the event. Trust me on that.

I am allowed 3 bikes – MTB/road/commuter. A fourth bike used to lead to threats to throw me – and the bikes – out the house for good and I would never see my kids again. The last time the subject came up she was going to leave me, so I’d keep the kids, the house and the bikes.

The terms are really starting to look much more attractive…

yunki
    Free Member

what bike(s) have you ordered then morecashthandash..? 😀

Sandwich

MCTD are you going to miss her?

tomhoward

Forgiveness is always easier to obtain than permission.

That or my favourite story on how to get around this little quandary is to have the retailer write a letter congratulating you on winning the (insert new bike here) in their recent competition…

mattbee

I always go for permission, since my wife also rides she has some idea what I own and what it costs but there are an amazing number of eBay bargains to be had!
    My single speed was amazingly cheap to build last year, but that bit me on the bum somewhat when I then had to build her one for a similar price….

I also remember years ago Simon from Nirvana cycles offering me a set of Rockshox stickers when he was selling me some shiny new Fox Vanillas to replace my ageing Psylos….

enfht
    Free Member

Your bollocks are also N+1, so instead of asking for another bike just MTFU and buy one. If she complains then just point at your bollocks. HTH

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

When the n+1 bike comes together next month I’ll be using the tack that ‘I had enough bits kicking around so I just needed to buy a frame to hang them on’, which is partially true.

ratherbeintobago

When the n+1 bike comes together next month I’ll be using the tack that ‘I had enough bits kicking around so I just needed to buy a frame to hang them on’, which is partially true.

You mean you had some M5 bolts lying around?..

durhambiker
    Free Member

I was always taught (by my boss) in my old job that it was better to ask for forgiveness than permission.

fivespot
    Free Member

Forgiveness………..that way, you always get the bike 😉

nano
    Free Member

Bit of both.. have managed to persuade Mrs Nano that anything up to £1000 is cheap 😉

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

ratherbeintobago – Member

You mean you had some M5 bolts lying around?..

Thankfully she doesn’t see through me quite as easily as you do.
    Chainset, shifter, mech and seatpost is close enough.

mightymule
    Free Member

Can you afford it? If you can then she shouldn’t really object. If you can’t, then she is entitled to be unimpressed.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Its easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.
    I generally sought neither. Am in middle of a divorce.
    A good friend of mine first introduced me to the phrase, he told me a few years later he only applied the strategy to his first marriage.
    The ladies tend to adopt the strategy of just asking the question repeatedly until we men agree. There is a lesson in that.

My 2 pence

beiciwr64
    Free Member

ste_t
    Free Member

‘You want ANOTHER handbag for Christmas, love of my life? Handbags of which you have plenty yet can only use one of at a time?

N+1 indeed.’

She cannot possibly argue with that.

Hate you, yes. Argue, no.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Permission or forgiveness??’ is closed to new replies.