Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Period Property advice Pt 2: Patios / paving
  • Farticus

After asking for window advice for a period property, I might as well admit my complete lack of any ideas and ask for paving / patio surfacing advice.

A bit of background … gound levels have risen over the years, in some places to ~50cm above floor levels; a bit of digging found the odd air brick 15cm below ground level! As the gropund level rose, people lobbed gravel on it, and when that got a bit untidy they added more. Eventually they decided to concrete over the whole lot, and when they decided that looked grotty they lobbed more gravel on top.

To get the stone walls properly renovated (lime pointing, lime render etc.) requires the ground levels to be sorted out, so I’ll have ~100 tonnes of assorted concrete and dirt to shift (plus a naff ornamental pond once the frogs have gone).

I’ll then have quite an area to be levelled correctly to take water run off, probably a french drain next to the house and quite a large area (think 2.5m wide footpath running 25m in an L shape) to be surfaced (and a new retaining wall to hold back the garden).

So, what would be a good paving? It needs to:
    1. Look good & in keeping with a period house (so no fake slabs etc.)
    2. Not be slippery or be likely to become slippery (in winter the sun doesn’t get round to the area but it’s a sun trap in summer)

All ideas gratefully received.

midlifecrashes

Have a look at this guy, has a good selection of the old stuff.

http://www.hadley-reclaimed.co.uk/paving-and-pavers-c-95_81.html

thepurist

Cheapest natural option will be indian sandstone but make sure it’s from a reputable source, and stick with the trad colours. That’ll be way way way way cheaper than reclaimed york or anything. Brick pavers laid on sand would also be an option – plenty of options out there for them & if you go for a stock that’s in keeping with the house it could work well.

Check http://www.pavingexpert.com for more advice on construction etc.

BTW – why stick at 2.5m wide? It’s a bit of an inbetweeny width, too wide to be a path, too narrow to be useful for seating.

tim41
    Free Member

I was about to recommend the paving expert web site too. Very comprehensive site.

aP
    Free Member

indian sandstone but make sure it’s from a reputable source

That’s an oxymoron right?
    You’ll be advised to leave a small drainage channel next to the building – something like a French drain would be good – and make sure that whatever finish you end up putting in (I’d suggest pavers – but nice engineering brick ones not those twee ones) falls away from your house.

Farticus

Thanks all – will investigate links. Bit chaotic at work so haven’t been able to check back.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Period Property advice Pt 2: Patios / paving’ is closed to new replies.