Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Pericarditis – anyone else suffered?
  • MrFannay
    Free Member

Been struggling with this crippling condition (Pericarditis-infection of the heart lining) for 3 weeks now with no signs of recovery. Would love to hear from anyone else with experience of it.

Have had my busiest year yet on the bike, out nearly every day then whilst riding in the Lakes 3 weeks ago felt like I had no ‘top gear’ and bit of chest pain, didn’t improve so saw GP few days later, did an ECG, 15 min later I’m with the paramedics blue flashing lights to the special cardiac unit, theatre on standby!! Decided I wasn’t having a heart attack and spent next 4 days on an acute ward for tests…

Home now but constant chest pain and unable to walk for more than 5 min without total exhaustion, been told it could last 2-6 months! Going stir crazy on the sofa 🙁
    So anyone else got experience?

kevtoo
    Free Member

Yup, last summer had a lovely combo of altitude sickness and gastroenteritis on a climbing trip in India- came back to the UK early, and a day later had the flashing blue lights treatment as paramedics thought I was having a heart attack. Turned out to be myopericarditis, where both the myocardium and pericardium are inflamed. Couldn’t walk more than 5 metres without needing to take a break! It was about 6 weeks before I was back at work, and even longer before I was back on the bike. I’m pretty much back to fitness now (have been racing time trials this summer) but it took about a year to really feel “right” again. It is really frustrating but you really do need to rest completely for a month or longer, follow up with your GP- and ask them when you can return to exercise. I had a couple of follow up ECGs to check things were back to normal too. Hope your recovery goes well!

MrFannay
    Free Member

Cheers for that kevtoo, I wouldn’t wish this on my worst enemy, it’s the crushing chest ache that’s the worst which makes me paranoid that it’s getting worse….causing more stress which makes it worse agin, catch 22!
    Unfortunately it’s very hard to stay upbeat, I guess I’ll just have to learn to vegetate 🙁

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    kevtoo
    Free Member

It’s not a good feeling! The shortness of breath really made me panic- which again makes it worse! Sadly vegetating is the only answer but the good news is you should recover eventually as long as you don’t force it and don’t be tempted to go for a “little ride” to alleviate the boredom!!! I was lucky that I had the Olympics to watch- saw all of the track racing as it happened while I was off. Time to find some good box sets?!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Pericarditis – anyone else suffered?’ is closed to new replies.