Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • Performing Rights Society
  • john_drummer
    Free Member

blatantly ignoring the 'drummer vs musician' jibe:

We haven't yet, I need to get onto that. We've only had stuff out on air and been playing live since February, so they probably haven't processed the claims yet. They're not known for being quick.

scraprider
    Free Member

an other case of WTF is this country coming to.

john_drummer
    Free Member

what do you mean scraprider?

This system is hardly new – it's been developing since we first started recording and broadcasting music, and while it's not exactly ideal, it's the best they've managed to come up with so far.

Would you rather have to pay a subscription to listen to radio, like you do with Sky TV? Or maybe expand the TV licence fee to cover radio?

scraprider
    Free Member

no mate , i mean , i dont see how this is a possible problem, for many many years we, my mates, work mates etc etc etc the list gose on,listen to music as we work now it seems if more than a few people can hear it , some one has to pay rights or what ever its called. the work place with out music is a shity place, i think i cant see summit so i must be stupid , im sorry mate it just dont make sense.a radio at work ffs.

john_drummer
    Free Member

like I said, it's not new, it's been this way for a long time.

It's up to the management to sort out the PRS licence in the same way as it would be for a TV licence if you had a TV in the workplace.

grumm
    Free Member

john_drummer – you do realise Robbie Williams and Bono get all the money anyway?

john_drummer
    Free Member

I dare say they do.

Radio & TV airplay royalties go to the writers of any particular song. But TBH radio airplay is small potatoes compared with the earnings a decent stadium tour and multi-million copy record sales can make.

But for your average working band, the recorded material is used to promote the tour, which is where the money is earned; 20 years ago the tour was used to promote the recorded material.

That's how Radiohead can afford to give away their recordings – they make it all back on tour, with interest.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

its all about money for old rope

timc
    Free Member

I work in the music industry, so without getting caught up, as i can appreciate both sides of the coin, Ill answer a few quiries!

How do they know what music is played & pay appropriate people, Simple, Neilsen tracking, A computer that listens to all Radio stations & can recognise 99.99% of tracks.

PRS is for the UK, Almost all Western Countries have similar organisations, were similar rules apply, its not just the UK

The money has to go to lots of people, Writers, Producers, Performers, Record Labels etc

NZCol

I was just thinking about something along these lines yesterday as i listened to BBC radio streamed via t'internet. Who pays for it – I certainly don't ?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

How do they know what music is played & pay appropriate people, Simple, Neilsen tracking, A computer that listens to all Radio stations & can recognise 99.99% of tracks.

But my question was if I pay someone to rebroadcast the radio I am listening to in the office, how do they know what I am listening to?

BermBandit
    Free Member

john_drummer – Member
    This system is hardly new – it's been developing since we first started recording and broadcasting music, and while it's not exactly ideal, it's the best they've managed to come up with so far.

You're not wrong John, but I think what is new is the aggressive and dare I say slightly unsavoury way in which they are trying to convince everyone that its illegal to listen to a radio anywhere away from your home without a PRS licence. From what I can see that is a very broad and blatantly incorrect interpretation of the act.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

And I still want to know what they do with all the money they collect!

john_drummer
    Free Member

fair point.

The TV licencing people will be next on our cases. Actually, they already are.

"We have a list of all addresses that don't have a TV Licence. You'd better get one or we'll send the boys round.
    What do you mean you don't have a television? Everybody has a television"

timc
    Free Member

mastiles_fanylion – Member

But my question was if I pay someone to rebroadcast the radio I am listening to in the office, how do they know what I am listening to?

http://www.rajar.co.uk/

That will explain it better than I can, but basically they survey the public to get an idea of listening figures & trends

BermBandit
    Free Member

Right, thanks everyone, the company policy is now this,

The correspondence is filed along with a downloaded copy of the Act. We have highlighted the sections which we believe indicate that we do not need to buy a licence.

We will not reply to the circular letters, as we do not believe that they apply to us.

In the unlikely event that a PRS representative lands on our doorstep we will ask them to indicate which part of the Act defines our premises as a public place, or a place of public entertainment. If they can do so we will happily stump up, if they can’t we will then notify trading standards of what we believe to be at best a misleading, and at worst a fraudulent approach to this matter by the PRS.

I will also make a complaint to Trading Standards as a private individual to test our understanding of the matter.

In all cases if we are wrong we will hold our hands up and stump up, whatever it is that we owe.

(My business partner and I have a side bet on that they have employed someone that used to work for a private parking company or similar, due the simialrity in the approach used.)

timc
    Free Member

what i would do…

uplink
    Free Member

We just ignore them
    There's no public access to our office & radios can't be heard outside

Before they're done they'll be trying extort money out of companies whose employees have radios in their vans etc

brassneck

If it makes you feel any better, I have a cheque for around £17 somewhere from the PRS.
    As we would have had to split it 4 ways (we were a proper democracy and all that) we just framed it instead 🙂

I think the PRS are desperate to open new 'revenue streams' due to the death of local live music – it's been made pretty unpleasant for a landlord to even consider putting on bands from what I understand, and all these pubs used to pay PRS for the privilege. I guess they still do, but maybe it's considerably less than for live music?

john_drummer
    Free Member

Depends where you are brassneck. No shortage of pubs & bars in Leeds putting on live music

Some places, albeit not many in Leeds, operate a 'pay to play' policy where the band basically hires the venue; others operate a 'flyer' scheme where the band only gets paid according to the number of punters that bring a flyer with them. Both these schemes allow the venue to easily afford the PRS licence, but it's not popular with the bands

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Performing Rights Society’ is closed to new replies.