• This topic has 4 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by gee.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Performance difference between SLX, XT and XTR Brakes
  • chilled76
    Free Member

Evening all,

Got a singular slx brake m675 that I bought in an emergency and have been seriously impressed with it, better than any other brake I’ve ever owned in fact. Plenty of power with loads of clearance so no rubbing at all, very quick and easy to set up. Bit on/off wooden compared to some others but I can live with that for the mud clearance you get with these…

So basically all of my formula, avid, hayes brakes are coming off of my various bikes and I’m replacing the lot with the new shimano’s

Question I have is are the current XT’s and XTR’s any better than the SLX ones or just lighter and prettier with a similar function?

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

sorry to give such a simple short answer but, XT and XTR are same power but lighter, prettier and stuff like bite point adjustment.
    stick with SLX

JoeG
    Free Member

The XTR (Race) M985 and M987 don’t have Servo Wave or bite point adjust, and their reach adjust needs a hex key.

The M988 XTR Trail brakes have Servo Wave and tool free reach and bite adjusters.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

You can modify the slx brakes to have bite point adjust. there is a thread on mtbr on it.

I bought some m666 slx for 90 quid on eBay last week (had to swap the levers from the euro style) ans have been well impressed with the round the block testing so far.

gee
    Free Member

Add Deore to that list… Same lack of adjustment, feel and power as XTR but a little heavier and only £40 and end.

Absolute bargain.

GB

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Performance difference between SLX, XT and XTR Brakes’ is closed to new replies.