Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Perfect short travel XC race bike – £2-£3k?
  • gingajim
    Free Member

Hey guys
    I’m looking to upgrade to a short travel (100-120mm) full sus, mainly for XC/marathon racing and a bit of normal trails riding. My carbon hardtail just hurts on longer races! Preferably as light as possible (carbon frame) – What’re the brands I should be looking at this year?
    Cheers
    Jim

weeksy

Scott.

gingajim
    Free Member

That was my first idea!

slugrider
    Free Member

Devinci atlas carbon (if you can get one)

fifeandy
    Free Member

Ideally a 2017 Scott Spark, but on your budget you may have to make some sacrifices on spec there.

As usual, your money goes a long way on Canyon – and its a proven winner for marathon racing.
    https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/mtb/lux/lux-cf-6-9-pro-race.html

gingajim
    Free Member

It looks like there are a few Sparks under £3k so I’ll prob look there. Thanks!

Rorschach
    Free Member

Perfect,xc race,under £3k…….choose 2.

lesgrandepotato

Spark is a fine machine, i’ve just decamped to a Niner Jet Carbon. Its a more sophisticated suspension set up than the old Spark and it climbs like a mad thing. That said I’ve not tried the 29er Spark…

gingajim
    Free Member

yeh, I know that £3k doesn’t get you much these days but i have decent kit that I can transfer already.

everyone
    Free Member

I’ve been looking at these recently although my budget is a touch higher than yours.

Top Fuel
    Spark
    Epic
    Orbea Oiz (for 4k, the spec is phenomenal and I think it looks amazing. Good luck trying to get one in any decent timeframe though!)
    Felt Edict (Lack of a rear lockout put me off)
    Silverback
    KTM scarp
    Cube AMS 100
    BMC four stroke.

Personally I’m going for the spark, I was originally look at the Oiz but the amount of waiting has put me off that.

onewheelgood

How can the Anthem not have a look in yet? Carbon is slightly over budget, but it’s not that much lighter than the Al anyway.

everyone
    Free Member

Because Giants really really bore me for some reason.

I’m sure they’re great and all but… Snooze.

jonnyboi
    gingajim
    Free Member

Cheers guys, I’m intrigued by that Orbea. I had a list similar to you Everyone and it also had a massive question mark next to the Anthem!!

jonnyboi

Just to validate your decision. I was in the same situation as you and got a scalpel for endurance races. Kept the carbon hard tail for smoother stuff

Edit: I have to admit I think the Scott is pretty damn heavy for the money

steve_b77
    Free Member

KTM Scarp is awesome, mine is 11.8kg with pedals, cages, mounts and proper non-paper-thin tyres and an RS1!! But it’s defo more than £3k’s worth.

See Rorschach for an accurate description of cost / price / weight.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

The choice might come down to wheel size as well as other considerations such as availability .

steve_b77
    Free Member

The wheel size is easy, short travel xc/marathon = 29’er

gingajim
    Free Member

Yep, deffo 29er (I’m over 6 foot as well)

vondally
    Free Member

Marathon racing

Rocky mountain element 29er with either 100 or 120 mm forks

sefton
    Free Member

the new spark with 120 fork. its slightly slacker than the full on xc racr 100mm bike. sounds ideal

Kryton57

For disclosure I have an anthem 29er Alu which I raced XCO and XCM for two years.

It wasn’t the lightest, and the rear end became a congealed mess on clay like muddy races. But in all other aspects it was excellent. A good climber and very efficient capable suspension now enhance by a 129mm Reba.

I always found Scotts to be expensive for the sum of their parts, and not necessarily light. People I’ve know with cubes either snap them or claim them to be uncomfortable. I’ve raced a guy with the canyon Lux – looks magnificent for he money, as does the Orbea. Rollingdonut from here had a Trek top fuel which looks fast standing still and just a sorted option.

I’m not a hardtail man but I took a risk on a Vitus Rapide Carbon HT. Dont discount that frame which is of Chinese origin and available to many, its surprisingly comfortable, light and fast. I rode mine on the Torque 6hr and it was never an issue, and will be my Scott MTB Marathon bike of choice. I’m using the Anthem for 12hrs this year for the extra comfort.

In my view, 6hrs or less you should get a carbon HT. I’d go carbon Anthem 100mm, or Top Fuel as my Marathon bike though for the platform support both bikes bring – the Anthem through design the Fuel through the shock.

jonnyrockymountain

Gingajim, my mate has just sent me this to advertise for him as he is not a stw guy
    Size L 2016 Scott spark 910 HMF carbon frame, fox nude custom rear 3 mode shock, fox 32 elite 3 mode forks both twin lock out handlebar remotes, it’s ful XTR 11 speed, XTR m9020 trial brakes, American classic Race wheel set, Easton carbon 720mm flat bars, Easton carbon seatpost, fizik thar saddle, bonty team issue xr2 and xr1 tyres set up tubeless, it’s in excellent condition as had no more than 10 rides it weighs 10.7kg (23.5lbs) it’s a real quality build no expense spared best part of £5.5k build, he wants £2.6 k collected Huddersfield, few pics below, if interested drop me mail at jonathantraverse@hotmail.co.uk and I can get you in touch with him

jonnyrockymountain

I thought this would have been ideal for you gingajim

adsh
    Free Member

^^ probably renders most other comments superfluous.

Kryton57

At that build and price that Scott would be perfect for me. Although my dream is Jonny rocky mountains Czar in the other thread.

If my year of Marathon Xc repeats itself i may well sell up the Anthem and Carbon Vitus and consider either of these.

adsh
    Free Member

Also depends how racy you want to be?

I built my Spearfish for long days in the saddle. 24lb and rangy it’s got legs. XC is not its forte but I’ve ridden it at pace for 15hrs

Conversely my Epic was built for racing and comes in at 21lb something. It’s fast but 12hrs is a stretch – position, brain clunking and general raciness gets on my tits after about 10hrs. For real marathon stuff the 3lbs matters less than that.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Lovely bike for the money right there

alwillis

Another vote for the Orbea Oiz here- just ordered an Alma HT for this year as I’m not fussed about my lower back (still young-ish).

I looked at and rode an oiz and they are lovely, without a real weight penalty over the HT Alma tbh, so if you need/want a little more give they would be my go to. Delivery seems to be the sticking point this year, so if you see one in stock then go for it!

Kryton57

Same issue with my two Adsh.

I’d build up a light Scott / turner for a do it all bike. But for <90 mins it’s hard to beat a light carbon HT.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Picked up an ex demo asrc for 1300 quid. Built up with 1x xt, a dropper and no particularly bling bits that I had lying around it comes is at dead on 24lbs including pedals.

Some bargains to be had out there.

teamslug
    Free Member

Another vote for the Oiz, I’ve got a new model Occam and it is brilliant. Had a quick ride on an Oiz and it’s a brilliant weapon.

ferrals
    Free Member

And there was me thinking it was a bike 🙄

kaj0103
    Free Member

The canyon lux was mentioned a few posts ago. I’ve been trying to decide between that and the trek too fuel 9.8 myself. The Scott sounds tasty but I think the trek and the lux have weight and kit advantages. Anyone got opinions on the canyon at all? I have a rod bike of theirs and it’s pretty good!

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Perfect short travel XC race bike – £2-£3k?’ is closed to new replies.