Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • "Perfect Compromise" = oxymoron
  • crotchrocket
    Free Member

So far this week I’ve heard that a 650b is the perfect compromise between a (700c) 29er and a 26in wheel and there was me thinking a 26inch was the “perfect Compromise” between a 24inch and a 29er.
    Or is a 24inch the “Perfect Compromise” between 26 & 20inch BMX wheels.

come to think of it is endure the perfect compromise between XC & DH?
    or is XC the perfect compromise between Enduro & cyclocross?
    or is walking a perfect compromise between standing still and running?

Too many questions for my little brain :/

aracer
    Free Member

But 650b is the perfect compromise. Rolls just as well as a 26er, with all the cumbersome nature and lack of parts availability of a 29er.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

lack of parts availability of a 29er.

Which parts are you struggling with? I don’t think they do a replacement for that chip on your shoulder in 29″ but other than that there’s plenty off rims, tyres, forks and frames.

I suppose a perfect compromise would be how crotchrocket phrased it, whereas an imperfect compromise would be aracer’s ramblings. I do agree with the OP on the “why is 26″ considdered so good” principle though when there are plenty of other choices, if 650b suits some situations better than 29ers or 26ers then that’s great, and luddites or those happy with 26 or 29ers are unaffected, unless they become a green yed monster envious of other people riding bits that their frame isn’t compatible with (which is just sad).

nealglover
    Free Member

What relevance to Luddites have ?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

What relevance to Luddites have ?

Ever heard of a 29er rider complaining about 26″ wheels and how they can’t afford/can’t be bothered/don’t want to change?

PaulD
    Free Member

Reminds me of Audi adverts a couple of decades ago about their 5 cylinder engines.
    Their claim was the smoothness of a 6 with the economy of a 4 cylinder.
    Reality was the roughness of a damaged 4 and the economy of a damaged 6 cylinder.

Marketing…all the fun of sales without the accountability.

PaulD

aracer
    Free Member

Feeling a little defensive, tinas? 😆

scuzz
    Free Member

Marketing…all the fun of sales without the accountability.

High five.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Feeling a little defensive, tinas?

No just having a good stir.

Someone did keep telling me that my Swift would make a lovely town bike on the Tuesday night ride though! Shame his 26″ wheels meant he had to stop and walk through the rocky bits on the decents 😛

Lifer
    Free Member

Definitely the wheels.

crotchrocket
    Free Member

STWers in ‘point missing competition’?

Again?

the point is: there is no such thing as a perfect compromise – by definition! It’s an Oxymoron!

650b, 700c, 26inch, 24 or 20inch all compromises because they all have mass and provide friction are suit different circumstances.

Therefore they are not perfect, thus are all compromise.

Good grief.

All this bandwagon surfing is divisive and unhelpful. More ‘Standards’ means more choice in wheel size, but it also means less choice in parts options or more expense. Manufacturers can’t make all the tyres/rims/tube in all the sizes without incurring costs & so, we (consumers) will pay the costs or suffer for having less choice in parts.

beware if you follow the marketing bull you’ll just end up paying more for the newest emperors new clothes.

if you want to go faster, don’t buy bigger wheels – just brake less. or eat better, or get fitter.
    it’s all about the engine, not the rolling stock.

Northwind

Do not agree- depends on your chosen definition of “perfect”. Dictionary.com throws us this:

“exactly fitting the need in a certain situation or for a certain purpose:”

My compromise bike exactly fits the need for some situations, ie, those situations that demand a compromise bike. Therefore, perfect compromise.

nedrapier

beware if you follow the marketing bull you’ll just end up paying more for the newest emperors new clothes.

So having a choice is a compromise between having what you want more precisely, but paying more?

Presumably a good compromise is being satisfied with “a bicycle”, but not being fussed about the details. Standard bicycle at lowest price.

Perfect?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘"Perfect Compromise" = oxymoron’ is closed to new replies.