Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Percussion drill recommendation
  • bonesetter
    Free Member

I have an SDS+ for heavy duty jobs, but am looking for a smaller lighter drill for small jobs and scewdriving etc

Want to go corded as it wont see frequent use

2 speed?

Keyless chuck??

DeWalt or just a cheap Bosh?

Cheers

somouk
    Free Member

Depends on the volume of use, if you’re really not using it very often and for nothing major then go for a Bosch.

footflaps

I have this Bosch one and it’ll put a 6/7/8mm masonry bit into concrete fine.

http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/power-tools/drills-drivers/hammer_drills/Bosch-PSB-18-LI-2-Combi-Drill-with-2-Batteries-11227751

peterfile
    Free Member

Footflaps, I just picked up one of those in the B&Q clearance sale for £27!

Not tried used it for masonry yet, but has handled everything else without issue.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i have that same drill.

itll do a 6/7/8mm masonary bit into concrete fine – 5 or 6 times and much slower than its corded equivalent, then youll change battery – my mates is the exact same- but not knocking it , it was 99 quid 2 years ago and has had a hard life for screwing , drilling into wood and such like its grand.

i wouldnt like to try putting a screw in with a corded 2 speed percussion drill.

footflaps

Brilliant drill, I use it all the time and it does everything. Torque is good enough for 6″ No.6 screws into wood without a pilot hole!

itll do a 6/7/8mm masonary bit into concrete fine – 5 or 6 times

More than that, I’ve put 30+ holes without draining the battery (into medium density 7.0N Concrete blocks). I find big wood screws are the biggest drain, masonry bits don’t take that much torque.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Thanks, but for very occasional use I really don’t think cordless in an option

Good to hear Bosch is getting good feedback though as there is this one I have been looking at

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-PSB-650-Impact-Drill/dp/B003UES78A/ref=sr_1_2?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1410184829&sr=1-2&keywords=percussion+drill

trail_rat
    Free Member

thats the one i go to when i need to drill in concrete. its effortless with that drill where as the cordless makes a meal of it – even with the same drill bit – i guess my bricks are harder than medium density block.

nickjb
    Free Member

That PSB 650 would be way to cumbersome for small jobs and screwdriving etc. Cordless is the way to go, especially if you already have an SDS. Even if just using it a couple of times a year.

bonesetter
    Free Member

The batteries ‘die’ don’t they if it isn’t getting the use?

footflaps

The batteries ‘die’ don’t they if it isn’t getting the use?

Li-ion is very good for holding it’s charge.

trail_rat
    Free Member

agree with what they both say.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Percussion drill recommendation’ is closed to new replies.