• This topic has 132 replies, 75 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by tomd.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 133 total)
  • People you used to like..
  • mr-potatohead
    Free Member

Absolutely, the idea isn’t to exclude white artists but to recognise the origins, in Sam’s case I would imagine it’s the gospel connection, I think Mick Hucknall has previously won it for mangling Teddy Prendergast songs

zippykona

Slight tangent but would traditional folk music have evolved into rock without black influence?

eltonerino
    Free Member

…ahem. Seasick Steve…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMVGzq4-viA[/video]

martinhutch

Prof Robert Winston. Meeting people is generally the best way to find out you know nothing about them.

Nico
    Free Member

I do not, for a minute, dispute what you are saying regarding the historical beginnings of such music. But what I find very strange in this day is that people still insist on labelling music as such. Why does it matter the colour of the skin of the musicians at the root of any given musical genre? It’s music.

Yes, but Eric Clapton’s big thing was blues music by black Americans, not Seasick Steve, or even John Mayall. But bizarrely it turned out that much as he was happy to play and try to emulate their music he was worried that they’d come over here and move in next door and marry his daughter, to misquote another musician of the era.

Now, back to your despising.

sbob
    Free Member

Otherwise you’re condemned to the beegees

sbob finds amusement in the fact that one of the biggest hits of Diana Ross, one of Motown’s biggest acts, was written by the Bee Gees.
    😆

failedengineer

Although Clapton didn’t claim that he wrote some of the songs, he always credits the original writer (Robert Johnson, Willie Dixon etc) unlike some others of the same era (Led Zeppelin, Fleetwood Mac and others).

tomhoward

Lewis Hamilton, I still want him to win, I just don’t like how ‘media savvy’ he is. How he always says the ‘right’ thing if there is a mic within recording distance, but it always sounds so forced. I know he’s had a couple of slips, but I can only think of one in the last 10 years.

DezB
    Free Member

eltonerino –
    …ahem. Seasick Steve…

Oh jeez, I thought the ‘lol’ was enough to explain that it was a joke. 🙄

edlong
    Free Member

David Mitchell- liked the peep show, but now he makes a living being a shouty twit on panel shows.

Very much this. Comes across as desperate for people to think he’s cleverer than he actually is. He’s also rubbish in the otherwise excellent Shakespeare thing that Ben Elton wrote.

Ricky Tomlinson – for a heart-on-your-sleeve lefty who went to prison for his beliefs, he’s got a very grasping approach to money ime.

For me, there is no problem with white people winning MOBOs – if anything it reinforces the acknowledgement of the “debt” those artists owe to the, y’know, origins of the music…

shinton
    Free Member

+1 for the Hamilbot

DezB
    Free Member

GrahamS off of Singletrackworld – until he posted this 😡

P-Jay
    Free Member

tomhoward – Member
    Lewis Hamilton, I still want him to win, I just don’t like how ‘media savvy’ he is. How he always says the ‘right’ thing if there is a mic within recording distance, but it always sounds so forced. I know he’s had a couple of slips, but I can only think of one in the last 10 years.

Same, well, I’m not sure he’s all that Media Savvy compared to the rest of the grid bar Kimi, but by the standards of the rest of the world certainly.

He really disappeared up his own arse when he sacked his Sports management team and replaced them with a ‘celebrity’ management team

Houns

Billy Connelly…. Used to like him until he made some comment years ago about a hostage, since then I just think tw@ when I see anything of his

yosemitepaul

Michael Gove.

Actually no, I got that wrong Michael Gove has always been a spineless Tory ****!

lucky7500

David Mitchell- liked the peep show, but now he makes a living being a shouty twit on panel shows.
    Very much this. Comes across as desperate for people to think he’s cleverer than he actually is.

+1 He seems to think that he is Mark from Peepshow!!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Yeah, That Dave Attenborough too! Turns out he didn’t stand on a melting ice-flow with a camera strapped to his shoulder, talking in hushed tones so the polar bears couldn’t hear him.. had a whole team of people and and and EDITED footage. Faker!

I don’t think he faked the clip where he had a gorrilla wrapped round his neck though.

MSP

Jim Morrison. In the late 80’s there was a kind of underground youth culture appreciation of the doors (which almost went mainstream a bit later with the Oliver Stone film). I was a massive fan and read his biography, it was actually pretty well written and not unsympathetic to him, but it was clear that he was a self absorbed tosser who used people.

So at 16/17 years I learned that I can appreciate someone’s talent without going all in for some stupid hero worship idiocy as most people seem to.

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

Ryan Giggs. Quiet man never in the papers for anything other than football. Excellent talent.
    Then….boom….. oh…… you horrid individual.

nealglover
    Free Member

So at 16/17 years I learned that I can appreciate someone’s talent without going all in for some stupid hero worship idiocy as most people seem to.

Impressive. You’re my hero.

taxi25
    Free Member

Impressive. You’re my hero.

Don’t make him one, you’ll only end up disappointed 🙁

jimw
    Free Member

Joe Jackson

funkmasterp

Motown reflects Black experience

Slight derailment, but Motown was a country mile from this. Soul watered down and made more palatable for a white audience is what it mainly was. Stax and Atlantic were where it was at. Ironically the house bands were (in the main) the opposite of what you’d expect. The great book Sweet Soul Music explains it better than I can.

As for the original topic, I used to like Joshua Homme until he threatened to sue his ex band mates. Mainly the one who was actually the main song writer too,

loddrik
    Free Member

Billy Connelly…. Used to like him until he made some comment years ago about a hostage, since then I just think tw@ when I see anything of his

I was at that live show, at the Hammersmith Apollo, it was about Ken Bigley. I thought it was pretty funny tbf, although I believe that no joke is too bad taste and nothing should be off limits. Though I appreciate that not everyone does. You could hear half the audience laugh and the other half gasp.

geologist
    Free Member

My wife.

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

Geologist beat me to it….

swdan
    Free Member

mogrim – Member
    Sean Connery – anti English, pro Scottish independence Spanish resident
    Thought he lived in the Bahamas somewhere?

I think he does, on the west end of Nassau island, just by the $400 a round golf course. The other end of the island, all of 20 miles away, can’t guarantee running water in people’s houses (worked there for 6 months and saw how much an island can change over a 20 mile drive

shinton
    Free Member

Brian May. How long his he going to keep riding the Queen gravy train?

CountZero

Brian May. How long his he going to keep riding the Queen gravy train?

As long as people pay to see them. Why shouldn’t he, it’s his and Roger Taylor’s band, originally called Smile, and Mercury joined later, as he was a fan, and suggested the name be changed to Queen.
    There are plenty of bands around with none of the original members still playing.
    Personally, I have zero interest in the band currently called Thin Lizzy, because without Lynott it’s just not the same, and Lynott was a founding member along with Brian Downey.

FeeFoo
    Free Member

binners – Member
    Morriseys journey from sensitive, articulate, witty, Mancunian lefty whinge-bag to LA dwelling, flag-waving, UKIP-supporting Farage-with-a-quiff has been pretty spectacular

It’s made my playlist for the car a chore having to skip all the Smiths and Morrissey tracks.
    Feel betrayed.

angeldust
    Free Member

my in laws.

actually, tell a lie….

Looked after the kids today while we’re at work. Sat in front of the TV all day while FIL downloaded the entire internet via torrents. drank all the milk so no bedtime milk for the kids. 4 items on a shopping list of things we needed. got one. didnt think the list was for them. FIL then slept on my daughters bed, ignoring the fact the bed was stripped as she had an accident last night, and he slept on top of the clean bedding but didn’t think to chuck a sheet on….. oh a moaned that his teeth were giving him jip while munching on a family size portion of crunchy nut cornflakes (30g sugar per 100g cereal? seems healthy huh)

mother in law doesn’t wash up put puts tiny bits of water in the cups to “let them soak” and hangs rank dishcloth type things over every tap in the house to “let them air”

God then annoy me something rotten
    rant over. they’re back in the morning. yay

Jeez they are not even doing you a favour by looking after your kids for free……oh.

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

The thing is everybody grows out of their Morrissey stage—except Morrissey

chakaping
    Free Member

The thing is everybody grows out of their Morrissey stage—except Morrissey

That’s quite good, kudos if it’s original.

edlong
    Free Member

That’s quite good, kudos if it’s original.

Sean Hughes (RIP)

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

no I nicked it from Sean Hughes obituary !!!!

binners

Annoyingly, I really like the new Morrissey single. Something he’s also done specifically to annoy me more, I’m certain

Love the Sean Hughes quote. I’ve not heard that before 😀

DezB
    Free Member

Why would someone not listen to The Smiths because Morrissey is a berk? Does not compute.

binners

Indeed. And Johnny Marr is the anti-Morrisey anyway. The more of a bell end Morrisey becomes, the cooler Johnny Marr gets. So it all balances out 😀

edlong
    Free Member

Pedantry alert: The Sean Hughes quote should read “phase” rather than “stage”

sorry

deadkenny
    Free Member

tomhoward – Member 
    Lewis Hamilton

Being from a McLaren background-ish myself I used to support him and was great to see how he’d come on with Ron’s backing and was such a great talent. Then he turned into a prat and self obsessed with his stardom. Inevitable though I guess, but he offended a lot of people who helped him get there. Under Merc I was happy to see a Brit winning but he’s still a prat. If he beats Vettel though, I’m happy. Anyway, Kimi is my current favourite 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 133 total)

The topic ‘People you used to like..’ is closed to new replies.