Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • People you used to hate…
  • SaxonRider

…until you read their autobiography (or learned something about them somewhere that changed your mind).

Jean Chrétien, the former Canadian prime minister used to drive me crazy, until I realised that a) he was actually an extremely canny politician, and b) he is very down-to-earth. Now I’m a fan, and can appreciate much of what he accomplished when he was in office.

This is an old clip, but indicative:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWmtwviXxXI[/video]

RobHilton
    Free Member

I have an intense and unwavering dislike of Brian Blessed.

Nothing he has done (and **** me he’s done some stuff!) could persuade me that being stuck in a lift with him would be anything other than an overwhelmingly unenjoyable experience.

tomd
    Free Member

David Blunket. Man alive he had a tough childhood.

Blind, obviously. Father terribly burned in industrial accident and died slowly in hospital. Sent off to boarding school (for blind kids), wrenched from mother.

SaxonRider

Actually, I forgot about Blunkett. I heard him on Radio 4 once, on some show where they went walking on the common near him. He came across as wholly likeable.

pistonbroke
    Free Member

Blunkett was the local MP at the school where MrsPB worked as Deputy Head so she had frequent visits to meet and greet. She once ushered him into a classroom, making a fuss of Sadie, his guide dog and walking him straight into the door frame.

andrewreay

Sticking with Labour politicians rather unimaginatively…

I’d heard Angela Rayner (Labour Shadow Education) in a few interviews and found her audibly annoying. To be fair, there’s a few I put in that category. Didn’t think much other than to brand her an ivory tower Corbynite.

However, earlier this week, there was a segment on R4 PM where a journalist had lunch with her and they record the conversation.

I totally re-evaluated my opinion, 180 degrees.

She has an incredible background. Plenty of real life experience (much of it pretty tough).

She cave across as likeable and someone who is in politics for all the right reasons.

I may not agree with her politics, but I don’t doubt she will make a valuable contribution to public life, far more than I ever will.

So hats off.

Here’s the interview:

Angela Rayner at lunch with Becky Milligan

Caher

Russell Brand – I’m not sure of the point of him.

v8ninety

Omg how many people completely missing the point of the OP?

Mine is John Major. Pretty much the moment he wasn’t PM anymore, he suddenly came across as likeable and entertaining.

flashinthepan
    Free Member

Hate is a bit of a strong word but Michael Portillo may fit the bill.

Was: The epitome of the Thatcherite, uncaring tory boy.

Is: An interesting and engaging travel journalist and also an excellent, common sense pundit on This Week

I’d certainly be happy to enjoy a pint or two with him

SaxonRider

Hate is a bit of a strong word

Yes, I agree. I don’t even like writing it, but I was only trying to make a rhetorical link with this thread.

flashinthepan
    Free Member

Understand SaxonRider 😆

pondo

Being an Alain Prost fan, I used to strongly dislike Ayrton Senna, but came to recognise and appreciate his fearsome commitment , otherwordly talent and humanitarian qualities (driving Prost into the kitty litter notwithstanding). Now, he’s probably the dead person I’d most like to meet.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Jeremy Beadle.

The irritating face of popular late afternoon television during the early 1980s and absolutely the wrong boy at school to get involved in high jinks with has apparently raised more than £100m for various charities…

+2 for John Major. He now seems like a decent bloke who used to be in charge of a party of complete and utter bastards.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Rob Hilton – Member 
    I have an intense and unwavering dislike of Brian Blessed.
    Nothing he has done (and **** me he’s done some stuff!) could persuade me that being stuck in a lift with him would be anything other than an overwhelmingly unenjoyable experience.

I’ve not read his biography (auto or otherwise), but many of his interviews and also speeches at charity events, are truly fascinating. He goes off into a ramble about all kinds of things in his life and such amazing and funny stories.

Not that I ever hated him anyway. Legend to me.

+1 Portillo – even though he’s still a bit posh for my liking, but he’s way more interesting outside of politics.

John Major also post PM, though I thought he was decent enough as PM if a little dull (“more peas dear?”)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘People you used to hate…’ is closed to new replies.