Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • People whose careers progress?
  • anagallis_arvensis

Why is it that some people, especially the ambitious kind always seem to be the type who will argue agaist anything they dont understand? It always amazes me that people are so sure of themselves even when obviously and entirely wrong. As an example in order to stir shit I sat in the science office of my school and invited anyone to explain, why counter steering works on a bicycle. The head of science and second in science then proceeded to tell me I was talking rubbish and there was no such thing.

As I meander through my life I’m always amazed by how right people who are succesful (in careers) always seem to think they are even when they are wrong. The other day a Kiwi bloke who was a dept head at another school made some casually racist comment about Aussies then turned to me to check I wasnt an aussie “no” said I “but that bloke over there in the Waratahs shirt must be and he’s massive”, Waratahs are a Kiwi team he says, oh said I “I thought they were Australian”. No there kiwi he said firmly and confidently…. its bizare to me but does it explain why I never get promoted?

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Maybe its down to you spending your time whining pathetically to a bunch of people who don’t care?

donsimon
    Free Member

They are given promotions to shut them up…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    clubber
    Free Member

Because it makes them feel better if they can shout you down. Standard tactic of people who are a bit insecure and think they’ll get found out…

Same as managers who don’t like people working for them to be too clever/good and claim all the credit.

IanMunro
    Free Member

I occasionally like to assert complete garbage as being true at work, just to see if anyone disagrees 🙂

anagallis_arvensis

Because it makes them feel better if they can shout you down. Standard tactic of people who are a bit insecure and think they’ll get found out…

anotherdeadhero?

Stoner
    Free Member

why counter steering works on a bicycle

you lost me there ^

Either Im just not “core” enough to do it myself or you made that up.

clubber
    Free Member

I think ADH was taking the p!ss, knowing him 🙂

5thElefant
    Free Member

The head of science and second in science then proceeded to tell me I was talking rubbish and there was no such thing

It was established fact that it didn’t exist until recently. Whoever does the advanced m/c tests denied it existed until last year and even then it took a modified bike with ‘dummy’ fixed handlebars to prove it to them.

So… your head of science is just repeating slightly outdated fact. Given his job that’s probably what you’d expect.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

My boss shouts me down and is generally demeaning pretty much every day. I hate him.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

*waves*

:mrgreen:

clubber
    Free Member

Shut up DD and get back to work. My office now!

samuri
    Free Member

Whether someone is right or wrong is irrelevant in these instances. Progression is all about saying the right thing, not the thing that is right.

I’ll give you an example that I’m sure we can all associate with.

Your wife asks you if her arse looks big in these jeans. Now the correct answer is of course ‘yes’ (I’m talking about your wives, not mine), but the right answer is ‘no’. You lied but you were still right and you progress and might get to have sex (albiet with a woman with a large arse).

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

clubber, even YOU would be preferable to my boss. 🙂

djglover
    Free Member

Your whole OP is an explanation of why

Them: ambitious
    You: meander through life

If you are so right all the time maybe you should be ambitions too, then it sounds like you’d make the perfect leader 🙂

rkk01
    Free Member

As an example in order to stir shit I sat in the science office of my school and invited anyone to explain, why counter steering works on a bicycle

All ears – please explain…

Our m/c instructor struggled with this (a good few years ago) 😛

He explanined it along the lines of by counter-steering your bringing more of the tyre edge into contact with the road – effectively using a part of the tread closer to the rim and with a shorther circumfrence = shorther turning radius.

Whatever – there was a big disconnect with doing it and explaining it

clubber
    Free Member

I am your boss DD – bow down and worship me!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

bow down and worship me!

Hmmm. That’s not your normal preference. Am I to call you that name today too?

anagallis_arvensis

All ears – please explain…

I have no idea why it works just that it does, didnt even know about it till someone here pointed it out.

clubber
    Free Member

No, today it’s ‘Clubber, oh mighty ruler of all he surveys and destroyer of trailside trees’.

Leave ‘that other name’ for later 😉

Please don’t say ‘countersteering’ again – saying it too much summons the daemon Jeremiah de Tandem…

Stoner
    Free Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Countersteering

so we’re not talking speedway style counter steering here.

This sounds a recipe for some carnage:

Conscious countersteering is generally not needed in normal bicycling, but it can be very useful—even potentially lifesaving—in emergency maneuvers, and is taught as the instant turn (a term coined by John Forester) in traffic cycling courses offered through the League of American Bicyclists. League certified instructors teach students to be prepared to make a sudden sharp turn to avoid, for example, being hit by a motorist who just passed them and then turned right, cutting the cyclist off. The instant turn is initiated by quickly jerking the bars to the left (the countersteer), which initiates the necessary lean to the right, and then turning sharply into the required turn to the right.[10][11]

clubber
    Free Member

countersteering works, no question. Got me out of a very big potential crash this summer on my road bike 😯

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Is there a surface to practise where I can get sufficient speed up and have a soft enough landing when I fail?

clubber
    Free Member

Very soggy grass?

marshmallow plantations?

Torminalis
    Free Member

In response to the OP, I think you will find it is a result of the Dunning-Kruger effect.

nedrapier

I’m baffled. How else do you get the bike to fall into a turn, other than countersteering? I appreciate the fact that, to many, it’s imperceptable, but I understood that it was how it always happened?

coffeeking
    Free Member

I’m baffled. How else do you get teh bike to fall into a turn, ther than counter steering?

You could shift your weight. I think I do both, none of them consciously.

nedrapier

I’ve just read that wiki article, good to know I still agree with physics!

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Any body got any recommendations for tyres for countersteering?

Samuri – you sayin’ my bird’s got a fat arse? 😉 The rest of your statement is true 😆

IanMunro
    Free Member

I’m baffled. How else do you get the bike to fall into a turn, other than countersteering? I appreciate the fact that, to many, it’s imperceptable, but I understood that it was how it always happened?

Me too.
    It did just cross my mind that it might not be essential, so I googled a robot that rides a bicycle, and even this you can see doing it quite distinctly.
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Srwk-i5aXRQ[/video]

Not that this is definitive evidence.

glenh
    Free Member

in order to stir shit I….

does it explain why I never get promoted?

Yes.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The other way to prove its existance is to try riding a big*, modern motorbike after only ever riding pushbikes. Ride it like a pushbike and however quick you are on a pushbike, getting them to go round corners is impossible if you treat them in the same way, took me at least a week to get the body language dialled for getting my scooter to turn in properly, then steping upto motorbikes – same again, big bikes – same again, unlike a push bike it wont turn in with a shift in your weight, it’ll only do it if you countersteer to get the weight of it over, and the same is true for the exit, you have to turn sharper to straighten up.

*I mean bikes where the engine is relatively high and your crouched over it, Bonneville/Bullet/Comando/HD style bikes seem different again as the COG is lower.

shmuk
    Free Member

marshmallow plantations?

Come on now, everybody knows marshmallows grow underground.

bazzer
    Free Member

I did a mix of mountain biking and motorcycle touring around Morzine one year. After riding a VFR800 (boring but sooooo comfy for long days) The mountain bike felt so light and nimble 🙂

Counter steering relies on two things, the first is the gyroscopic force from the front wheel, force it side ways and the resultant force will cause the wheel to lean on its side. Then due to the shape of the tyre camber thrust will cause it to turn, this is due to the fact the inside diameter of the contact patch is smaller than the outside, you effectively have a cone rolling on its side.

Crap explanation, but its how I think it works 😉

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘People whose careers progress?’ is closed to new replies.