Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 128 total)
  • People who wont fuel up unless the pump is on the closest side to their tank !
  • simmy
    Free Member

I scratched a lease car badly once dragging the pump across as the hose must have been full of dirt and grit and it scratched the rear quarter.

Had to get it touched in before it went back, cost about £80.

I use the Ultimate or V Power fuel in mine and at a few stations near me, they only have this on one pump so I sometimes have motorists queuing behind me when their is a pump in front which doesn’t have my fuel.

Well it’s tough, not my fault I can only get the fuel at one pump it’s the garages so take it up with them.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I’m yet to find a hose that I can’t stretch over my car, but then again it is only 61 inches wide and less than 43 inches tall…

Nice. Is that. A later version of the old Cox GTM? A mate built one just after we left school. Most envious at the time.

joshvegas
    Free Member

They are the same people who slow down to 2mph to cross speed bumps.

Thats me since i spent boxing day taking a cracked sump off.

noltae
    Free Member

I don’t buy into the notion that using the ‘wrong’ side causes the hose to drag /touch the back of vehicle – Its ridiculously straightforward to use other hand to guide the hose..

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

I don’t buy into the notion that using the ‘wrong’ side causes the hose to drag /touch the back of vehicle – Its ridiculously straightforward to use other hand to guide the hose..

I’ll full up on the side of the filler cap. If you can’t deal with that, I suggest you learn. I’ll continue doing it now that some people find it irksome.
    Dare I ask what else irks you enough to write a post about?

CountZero

andytherocketeer – Member
    every pump i’ve used has been extensible enough to reach around

and of course the ones that hold things up, also are the ones that pump the last quids worth really slowly to pump an exact £xx.00 but then go and pay on card
    I’ve found the occasional pump that wouldn’t stretch across the back of the car enough for the nozzle to actually go into the tank neck, on one occasion that caused a real problem, there was only one pump available, so I used that one, a diesel pump, and put £18-worth in.
    The car was an Astra GTC. It stopped dead a couple of miles further on, because it was a petrol engine.
    In my defence, I’d never driven one before, and the inside of the filler cover had a black label clearly marked ‘Diesel’!
    If I’d been able to get the car to a pump on the correct side, and found the nozzle wouldn’t go into the hole, it would have raised a query, but with the bottom of the nozzle facing up, and pressing against the car body, hose stretched tight right across the bodywork, it ‘just’ touched the hole, allowing fuel to flow into the tank.
    I try to get an exact amount into the tank of most cars I drive, because I only put in enough to get me to my destination, and when I pay by card, not only do I have a PIN, but I have to put in the car registration and the mileage of the car, so you’d be really pissed at me, then!
    Actually, I take far less time than the commercial drivers filling up then stocking up on crisps, coffee, sandwiches, donuts, The Sun…

convert

Given that most stations have an even number of left and right sided pumps do the vehicle manufacturers get together decide which firms will make lefties and which righties to even it up. Or is there a better side to be for faster pump queuing (given most folk don’t do as the OP wants). I think every car I’ve every owned has been a righty but the van is a lefty.

RustySpanner

I only buy cars with the filler on the left, for ideological reasons.

nach
    Free Member

I worked in a petrol station for a bit when I was 18, and we were told not to dispense petrol if people pulled the hose right the way across, and use the tannoy to tell them to move. Not only does it wear hoses, with whatever nozzles they were using at the time, people were more prone to flinging petrol everywhere as they removed them from the car.

Some petrol stations have pumps with long hoses that terminate quite far above the cars; I think these are designed for refuelling either side. Many don’t and have short hoses people will yank on to do it.

silverT4
    Free Member

It irks you that people who got there before you get their fuel before you?

Not particularly. I trying to be ironic.

andytherocketeer

if I go the wrong side, I’ll pull the car much further forward. The hose stretches round the back just fine, but I’ll use the other hand to guide the hose, mainly to ensure it doesn’t rip the number plate off.
    depends on car I spose. Mine’s a hatchback, so it’s easy.

I’d be concerned if the hoses wear out on a pump that has a wind-out hose designed presumably to wind out so it can reach fuel filler holes.
    sounds like nonsense to me.

LadyGresley
    Free Member

their refusal to utilise the available pump because it’s on the ‘wrong’ side – Witnessed this twice today

Am I the only one who’s wondering how far you drove in one day to have to fill up twice??

iainc

I use the Ultimate or V Power fuel in mine

why? Is it any different ?

bails

How long can it take to just turn around and use the next pump?

[video]https://youtu.be/vupgBykQnko[/video]
    Oh…

jambalaya
    Free Member

Very very rarely stretch the pump over to the other side of wife’s car. Not really possible in my car as filler cap is near the front door and absoluely not having hose touch the car. Don’t hold anyone up as I know which side the filler caps are on.

mintimperial

To the people at our local Morrisons petrol station who use the pay-at-pump pumps when the normal ones are free and then go to pay in the shop and don’t buy anything else and pay by card: I HOPE YOU DIE IN A FIRE.

Use the normal pump if you want to stand in a queue and interact with the spotty oik behind the till, you idiotic shitegoblins, and let us misanthropic introverts use the handy machine that spares us the pain of having to be in proximity with oblivious twatwits like you for any longer than absolutely necessary.

Grrrrr I think I need a lie down.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I used to work in a petrol station

Ha, piss on you! I used to OWN a petrol station.

Here’s me owning a petrol station (but not with Bombers)

[img]https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8161/7202274164_d2414dbc16_o.jpg[/img]

I could write a book about people being unable to park up on a forecourt.

simondbarnes

I find it hilarious that people get wound up about this 🙂

funkmasterp

Use the normal pump if you want to stand in a queue and interact with the spotty oik behind the till, you idiotic shitegoblins, and let us misanthropic introverts use the handy machine that spares us the pain of having to be in proximity with oblivious twatwits like you for any longer than absolutely necessary.

Now this I wholeheartedly agree with. Don’t use the pay at pump if you’re going to go inside. You desperately want an excuse to talk to a person, then use the human interaction pump 👿

Here’s me owning a petrol station (but not with Bombers)

That’s the look of a man enjoying his work right there. Like a catalogue model advertising those overalls 😉

jambalaya
    Free Member

@essel I think that look is called “jaunty” 🙂

I can’t believe you gave up all that time outdoors for a working life in a Prison !

P-Jay
    Free Member

Given about 70-80% of cars have their filler on the drivers side (oddly because they were designed to be driven on the ‘passenger’ side) Shirley the people who will only use the ‘correct’ side leave the other pumps free for those who are prepared to stretch the hose?

funkmasterp

for those who are prepared to stretch the hose?

And pray tell what have people’s masturbatory habits got to do with the OP?

sorry, my inner child couldn’t resist.

Northwind

Some pumps won’t reach round my car (mondeo estate). Most will, but quite often it’s a real stretch or I end up having to drag it right over the paintwork or whatever. Which I don’t care about because my car’s a disaster but normal people don’t like that. And even for me it’s still a pain in the bum.

OTOH,

funkmasterp – Member

Now this I wholeheartedly agree with. Don’t use the pay at pump if you’re going to go inside.

Aye, to me it’s pretty much the equivalent of going through the express checkout with 2 trolleys full of stuff.

RustySpanner

jambalaya – Member
    @essel I think that look is called “jaunty”

Spot on.
    🙂

Looks like an illustration from a Ladybird book.

You just don’t see simple, daft happiness like that anymore.
    😀

Proper cheered me up.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Like a catalogue model advertising those overalls

I.C.I. overalls, got them free cos I sold I.C.I. petrol. 😆

I can’t believe you gave up all that time outdoors for a working life in a Prison !

It wasn’t intentional. Don’t know if you remember the Esso ‘pricewatch’ campaign from the early 90’s but that was the nail in the coffin for a huge amount of rural petrol stations (along with supermarkets selling fuel).
    I was amongst many that went under because us standalone sites couldn’t buy fuel for what the big boys were selling it for otherwise I’d still be there. 😥

fooman

Why aren’t we taking about the real problem? The folk who only put £10 or £20 worth in each time, therefore visiting petrol stations 3 or 4 times more often than necessary. I usually find that’s what the last person put in when I roll up.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Why aren’t we taking about the real problem? The folk who only put £10 or £20 worth in each time, therefore visiting petrol stations 3 or 4 times more often than necessary. I usually find that’s what the last person put in when I roll up.

Do you fill up from empty every time then?

sharkbait
    Free Member

At least here in Germany the hands free catch always works so you don’t have to squeeze the handle for the entire duration
    That’s a bad idea.

I’m not sure I get this. The pumps have a cut-off to stop an overflow – what’s wrong with that?
    In marina’s (and other places I suspect) the catches do work – otherwise holding the handle for >300L would be even worse than paying for it!

nickjb
    Free Member

Do people not do this?

simondbarnes

I do (well within a couple litres or so anyway)

I also always stop at something.00 litres or a whole pound 🙂

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Do people not do this?

I tend to but it depends how the cashflow is at the time. Otherwise I bung enough in to see me till payday.

Northwind

simondbarnes – Member

I also always stop at something.00 litres or a whole pound

Apparently this fine art is almost completely forgotten by everyone under the age of 25 or so- people for whom cash was never the main way of paying for things. I still like the neatness though.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

I tend to take the hose the long way round. It mostly avoids any risk of standing in diesel spillage.

sharkbait
    Free Member

I have a 100L tank which means filling up means I’m carrying the equivalent of a medium sized child in the car even when I’m on my own. I do about 50L at a time generally unless I’m at Costco.
    I did fill it once just to see what it was like ….. it was expensive 🙁
    On the plus side my range was something like 800 miles!

cheers_drive

I’m happy people queue for a hose on the correct size. Means there is more chance I can just drive straight up and stretch the hose over. What’s the issue withe the hose touching the back of your car. It’s rubber it won’t damage it and at this time of year my car is filthy anyway

deadkenny
    Free Member

perchypanther – Member 
    Some cars are small enough that you can stretch the pump across.
    Some aren’t.

Most are as most pumps are long enough. A van or bus is another matter.

Some pumps are long enough to stretch to the other side.
    Some aren’t.

Most are. It’s only old school places that are ridiculously expensive that aren’t in my experience. I tend to avoid those.

Gary_M – Member 
    How does waiting for a pump on a particular side form a queue?

Frequently been stuck waiting at the entrance which is too narrow to go around because a queue has formed blocking access to the side with loads of free pumps.

In fact most of the ones I go to now have a sign saying “fuel either side” to encourage either side filling, but people ignore it.

Also annoying – pay at pump where not all of them are pay at pump, all the non pay at pump are free and they go pull up at the pay at pumps then go in to pay, forcing me to waste time paying in the shop 👿 😈

kayak23

I also always stop at something.00 litres or a whole pound

I’m quite fond of the palindromic fill. I aim to go to the next nearest palindrome after the filler clicks, say £31.13 or £46.64 etc. I also figure that were I the sort who ever looked at their bank statements, I would immediately be able to recognise my fuel purchases because of this palindromic stamp… 🙂
    ….but I don’t.

RustySpanner

I hold the lever till it goes ‘click’.
    😀

kayak23

I hold the lever till it goes ‘click

Weirdo… 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 128 total)

The topic ‘People who wont fuel up unless the pump is on the closest side to their tank !’ is closed to new replies.