• This topic has 134 replies, 66 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by xyeti.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 135 total)
  • People who ride without backpacks, how??? solutions on longer days please
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Ive done a few night rides now with no backpack on at all, just a water bottle (frame only takes 600ml bottle) which is fine for night wwrides in the cold where I don’t need as much fluid

really enjoyed the lack of weight on the back, and freedom of movement

however come weekend, rides are much longer, and usually around 4-5 hours with a fair bit of climb, meaning a few more tools and usually around 2litres of water

so whats the solution? cant always stop to refil bottle in the middle of nowhere, and where do you stuff tubes/tools etc?

ideally I want to take a spare tube, mini tool, phone, keys, bit of food, pump and what ever else Id normally use in an emergency

any ideas/solutions?

I see plenty of folks now riding without and always wonder where on earth they refil water, and or stuff their tools etc?

mattsccm
    Free Member

2 750ml bottles are plenty usually. Long days mean hills which mean streams . All cycle repair kit lives in a small bag under the saddle and spare clothes in jersey back pockets. Food in the right hand one, a tenner in the middle one or what ever is zipped, waterproof if taken there as well. left is for gloves, cap or what’s spare.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Go hungry, go thirsty, walk home when things break 😉

globalti
    Free Member

Roadies manage to carry everything they need without a backpack. A small saddlebag (Scott make good ones that hang off a W clip) takes a spare tube rolled up tight, tyre levers, multi tool and a CO2 cylinder and valve and a spare chain link. Alternatively you can get drinks bottles or even modify a drink bottle to carry all this in a bottle cage. Other stuff goes in your pockets, although chest pockets can be annoying if stuff hangs down and bounces around so back pockets as in roadie jerseys and jackets are better.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Pump lives in normal place under bottle cage.
    All what we did for decades until camelback came along really and what I thought was default. That’ll teach me

miketually
    Free Member

Tools and tubes in a small saddle pack. Two 750ml bottles in cages on the frame, plus buy refills in shops. Food in pockets, or a small frame bag.

Rorschach
    Free Member

2 waterbottles,tools slung under the seat and everything else in pockets.
    If I have to carry more I use a Wingnut (other bum bags are available).

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Roadies do manage, but they are always near a road if things go wrong.
    If your out in the mountains, consider how far you are from any help especially if you are out on your own. What you would do if something goes wrong, clothing etc.
    Just balance go light with be prepared.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

frames only capable of one water bottle other wise that would sort the fluid issue out

don’t really fancy a tool thing under the seat, as ride fairly rocky stuff and ive found a few in my time where folks have fallen off

true about roadies, I guess its easier for them to refill if need be (garages/public toilets) don’t really see many in the peak district wilderness

tools wise isn’t an issue, I tend to keep the bike running smooth, so if something breaks, its usually due to smashing it on rocks, a multitool is plenty, just a pump and spare tube or even co2 I guess

trail_rat
    Free Member

i use a bottle and fill from a stream

i use a ocelot frame bag with my multitool , a tube , pump and a small box with tyre boot , puncture repair kit , tubeless repair kit and 2 x 9 speed quick link. Still has room for a waterproof shell.

cokie

For local rides and trail centers- I’ve got a saddle bag mounted next to the DT bottle cage that contains essentials; tube, tools, chainlink, tyre leavers, Co2 & emergency phone. I usually mount a mini pump onto the bottle cage. Food & money go into by jersey pockets. This set up lets me add 2 bottle cages too- so 1.5 liters of water if needed.
    I really like this setup. The weight’s down low and secure. I’ve never noticed the weight and I have more freedom to move around the bike.
    [sorry about the bad picture, but you get the idea]

Longer trips I might add the Alpkit feedback for more food and a layer.

Simon

If you’re riding in a group just rely on the others for pump, tubes, tools, etc.

superleggero
    Free Member

I put some spares inside handlebars: quick links; small section of chain; zip ties; spare gear cable; patches and tyre boot. Spare gear hanger taped to underside of saddle as is a spare tube. Topeak Hexus in pocket.

deviant
    Free Member

I’ve managed to source shorts over the years that have zip pockets to put keys, phone etc…. Water bottle obviously, multi tool also goes in pockets usually…

…but, you’re right about tubes, tyre levers, food etc….on a ride where a puncture will ruin the day and can’t be sorted with a walk back to the car I’ll use a backpack.

amedias
    Free Member

frames only capable of one water bottle other wise that would sort the fluid issue out

you can get extra mounts to attach on seatpost, stem, calmp on tubes which might be an option if you really can’t find anywhere to refill.

don’t really fancy a tool thing under the seat, as ride fairly rocky stuff and ive found a few in my time where folks have fallen off

this is solved by using decent ones that don’t fall off 😉

jekkyl

you can get add on water bottle bosses. eg:
    halfords link

not ideal though. I hate wearing a backpack too. I have a 750ml bottle in the front clip and a tool bottle in the seatpost one. I used to have a saddle bag but cannot now as I have a dropper. I will fill up at a stream or buy from a garage/shop too.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Pack smart. Don’t take such a load of shit with you.

Maintain the bike properly and use kit that isn’t fragile/untested/unreliable.

Get a decent saddle bag/frame bags. I’ve lost two in 35 years. Both bought at the last minute after I forgot my usual one. Unfortunately, lots of the new/modern/flashy ones seem to be rubbish. I wish I’d kept some of the older kit I had. The bags were heavy, but they lasted.

Decent kit too. Cheap gear tends to be bulky, or just not very good. Best you can afford will pack down smaller and work better when it’s being worn.

Planning. Where you going, shops, villages. Bail out routes etc.

I’ve done big days off road across Europe without packs. And had no problems. Even when I’ve had issues.

Most important thing is to know when you actually DO need a pack. Which for some would appear to be every time they throw a leg over the saddle. 🙄

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Most important thing is to know when you actually DO need a pack. Which for some would appear to be every time they throw a leg over the saddle. 🙄

Oh well get you 😉 nothing wrong with packs, means I know where all my stuff is and they are quite comfy. My point of view may be slightly distorted by doing a lot of my riding up in proper mountains. Where the conditions can change and knowing the good folks in Mountain Rescue who give up their time when things go wrong. Thankfully not had a situation I’ve not been able to get out of but having some decent spares, spare clothes, food and a bit of an emergency plan helps when it does go tits up. When you have popped your last tube and run out of CO2 and down to patching and pump to avoid a 20km walk in the pissing rain it might be worth it.

njee20
    Free Member

I think the key is being able to refill with water.

Stuff goes in pockets. Bottle on bike. If you can’t refill your bottle though you’re a bit scuppered. Carrying multiple bottles makes it less pleasant IMO.

smatkins1
    Free Member

Sometimes I just risk it if I’m riding alone (no one else to inconvenience) and know I’m not heading too far.

When it comes to attaching pumps water bottles and saddle bags to my bike and wearing the types of jersey’s with back pockets, as much as I like riding pack free, I’d rather just carry a sensibly packed camelbak.

miketually
    Free Member

you can get add on water bottle bosses. eg:
    halfords link

Pricier (almost £30!), but I’ve been looking at the Monkii system for adding extra bosses/cages to my Inbred, which only has one set of bosses http://www.cyclemiles.co.uk/product-category/cycle-products/monkii-system/

miketually
    Free Member

I think the key is being able to refill with water.

Shops if you’re nearer civilisation, or streams if you’re not. Apparently, most churches have an outside tap.

dragon
    Free Member

Depends where you ride 4-5 hours could mean anything from being up in the Cairngorms (where I’d take a pack), to interlinked forestry with nearby villages etc. in which case you probably can get by with just a saddle bag, bottle and some money.

Essentially I’ve just repeated this from above

Most important thing is to know when you actually DO need a pack.

Kahurangi

whatever route you go down, don’t forget to retain that sense of smug superiority over all the numpties, who do things differently 🙄

mattsccm
    Free Member

“don’t really fancy a tool thing under the seat, as ride fairly rocky stuff and ive found a few in my time where folks have fallen off”
    Never. MTBing since 1985.
    Strap on seat packs are bombproof. Zips might break occasionally if they are used a lot but I don’t open mine on a 2 monthly basis even.
    Just enclose everything in a plastic bag first.

dragon
    Free Member

Doh posted twice 😳

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Roadies manage to carry everything they need without a backpack.

That’s because the rules say we have to do that 🙂

Saddle and frame bags will come back into fashion and Camelbaks and the like will go out of fashion. Enduro has already seen bottle cages and bottles fashionable again. When the manufacturers start seeing these trends develop we’ll see all manner of innovative and interesting solutions to carrying stuff without needed a rucksack.

I love riding without a rucksack, but the reality is that it’s much easier for me to sling a pre-packed ‘sack on my back that it is to tuck all my tools, spares, food, clothing etc onto me or the bike, especially considering I have more than one MTB.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Stick an extra bottle in one of your riding mates backpacks, simples

mmannerr

Another point of view is to minimize the fussing before ride. I often ride sub-1hr rides with the same pack which I use for full days out. The pack contains only spare tube, small first aid kit, ziploc bag of spares and pump nicely packed in different pockets and weights very little without water.

Used to have permanently attached seat packs and frame mount pumps on all bikes but prefer current method much more.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Enduro has already seen bottle cages and bottles fashionable again. When the manufacturers start seeing these trends develop we’ll see all manner of innovative and interesting solutions to carrying stuff without needed a rucksack.

Watching them all run around zip tying and taping everything to the frame, filling their 1 water bottle in 35c heat, and stuffing pockets before setting off in a full face did make me smile. Was almost not completely unpleasant in a road lid carrying the full face with plenty of water for the day (and refilling as it hit 39c)

We may get some innovative solutions but the humble backpack does work exceptionally well and is very practical for what it does.

teasel
    Free Member

Obviously this subject and Apple products are too much for mikewsmith and he simply can’t help interjecting with totally useless crap.

Anyway, a couple of litre bottles would be enough for a reasonably long time out in the ‘wilds’. SIS do one that fits in my 16″ Scandal frame.

Just…

Garry_Lager

However you do it, don’t load up your back pockets with stuff on the MTB. Landing on your back in a crash is something we’ve all prob done at some point, and hard objects in your pockets could turn a mishap into a catastrophe.
    Pump on frame and some sort of small saddle bag is the order of the day. If this doesn’t work for you for some reason, then just take a small camelback.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

So basically you do exactly the same as me. But not as effectively.

And last I checked both the Alps and the Pyrenees counted as mountains. 😉

And FWIW i always use a saddle bag on my road bike, always have (except when you have team cars). Most of the teams give them out at the beginning of the season (Mostly cheap nasty ones with team logos on them, zips break after the first rain, straps break after the first unmade/cobbled road)

The rules can eff off.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

as njee says, thinking about it, the jerseys/shorts I wear tend to have pockets/rear pockets, I reckon I could stash most stuff inside those to be honest (bar maybe a pump)

its the water issue that worries me completely

ive ran out of water before, on a summers ride in wales, and had the worst cramp that physically made me feel sick for the remaining tough 5 miles, never again! on that ride I cant see where id be able to refill it either, other than knocking on some random welsh persons house

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I just prefer a bag, can’t be bothered with roady tops on the mountain bike, prefer the loose fit, saddle bags and droppers don’t mix that well and I’ve never really liked bottles.
    Packing well is the key but some people I would say are under prepared for being out in serious conditions, on poper hills.

Just as there is no need to pack a full tool kit, there is need to pack the right things. Passing somebody a mountain morph pump to use over their little pack in the pocket version for instance or having some spare food for the muppet who thought you would be back by now or not sucking the camel back/bottle dry as it was hotter/harder work than you thought.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

i always use a saddle bag on my road bike

I used to as well. It meant the necessary tools/spares were always there ready to ride. Then one day – when I needed to get into my saddle bag – it was seized shut and I had to cut it open. I’ve since reverted to jersey pockets. In the old days I used to use a saddle bag for mountain biking which was great for tools and spares, but soon found I was running out of space for food and spare clothes.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Bottles and bottle cages haven’t evolved that much in the 25 years I’ve been mountain biking. The big problem I had in the old days was bottles bouncing out of cages and I’ve seen people still have that problem today. I loved the advent of the hydration pack to solve this problem.

For those who use bottles and bottle cages, how do you get round this? Are you just super smooth riders or have you simply never had the disembarking bottle problem?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

stilltortoise – given you ride similar stuff to me, I can categorically say my bottle which doesn’t even sit flush in the cage has never once dropped out, nor attempted too, its as stable as they come and cant ever see it coming out

adsh
    Free Member

2×750 bottles
    Seat pack – 2x tubes, tool, repair kit,
    Pump under cage
    Food,phone and gilet in pockets

For epics add lightweight camel back for fluid only, undo extension on the saddlepack and add energy powder and chamois cream, add top tube tri bag for more food and garmin battery.

Eat bulky items first

stilltortoise
    Free Member

stilltortoise – given you ride similar stuff to me, I can categorically say my bottle which doesn’t even sit flush in the cage has never once dropped out, nor attempted too, its as stable as they come and cant ever see it coming out

It could simply be that now we all have big tyres and full suspension, bottles simply don’t fall out as much. In the days of fully rigid boneshaking MTBs it wasn’t unusual at all. That said, I was out with someone of this parish a few weeks ago and their “tools in a bottle” fell out. Fortunately we found it when we retraced out steps.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 135 total)

The topic ‘People who ride without backpacks, how??? solutions on longer days please’ is closed to new replies.