Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • People who get married abroad
  • hora
    Free Member

What’s the problem? You arent going to do time or hard labour. It’s a holiday in a foreign country.

Far better than a registry office in Hull.

sandwicheater

My bro got married out in Bali and we didn’t go. New kid/started a business and had no idea where we would get the money or the time.

Biggest regret I’ve had in a while. Beg, borrow, steal. Even if she just goes, but don’t miss your brothers wedding.

Even if she/you just go for the weekend.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Generally people get married abroad so not many people go to the wedding. Don’t feel bad for not going, you are helping really!

THIS

if they really care they can have a do back here as well as that is what my mate did. Hire a hall all get pissed. not expensive

They got married abroad as they met on holiday

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    squirrelking
    Free Member

Responses here are interesting.

At the end of the day the couples wedding is about THEM, nobody else. So long as they accept that the choice of venue means people cant reasonably make it then whats the problem?

At the end of the day this is just the classic bullshit that couples come across when getting married. There’s always someone wanting to interfere and change your plans to suit them whether that be who is in the bridal party, who gets invited when, where the wedding is, when the wedding is or whatever else people seem to think they have a say in. That some people think that its the couple being selfish is actually quite amusing (never mind the false sense of entitlement, the irony). A wedding is about the couple, nobody else. How they choose to celebrate it is quite frankly nobody else’s business.

And yes, been there, done that.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

It’s a holiday in a foreign country.

no it’s not, it’s a trip you are forced (or guilted) into going on, at a venue you haven’t chosen, at a time you didn’t choose. Usually spending money you can ill afford.

Our wedding was “overseas” (local for the wife) but the venue is close enough for it to be about 100 quid on Ryanair (only 120 with BA) plus we sorted the accommodation and transport for most from the airport to the venue and all the food for the weekend was sorted.

donks
    Free Member

My wife’s sister got married somewhere exotic and expensive and it ended up that we and her parents couldn’t afford to go. They made promises that they would have a uk reception when they got back but it never happened. Her mum was pretty devastated. Parents both died a few years later (a week before our wedding

MoreCashThanDash

Friends and their three kids are off to a family wedding in Mexico later this week. Sounds great but has financially screwed them for the whole year.

So glad we did cheap and cheerful close to family.

konabunny
    Free Member

if they really care they can have a do back here as well as that is what my mate did. Hire a hall all get pissed. not expensive

Seems like the really upset people in the OP aren’t the engaged couple (not even clear that they GAS whether OP and his wife show up) but the OP’s wife.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Far better than a registry office in Hull.

WTF is wrong with Hull ….eh ! typical middle class response, bet youve got a beard and work for the BBC and eat pulled pork eh !

😀

aracer
    Free Member

Did you not bother reading anything he wrote (no, don’t bother answering that)?

The problem is when they don’t accept that, because they think it’s so much about THEM that everybody else should drop everything for THEM.

squirrelking
    Free Member

The problem is when they don’t accept that, because they think it’s so much about THEM that everybody else should drop everything for THEM.

Without wanting to come across as an argumentative dick, did YOU actually bother reading what I wrote?

But I agree that in the situation you describe that yes, that would be unreasonable. But as I said, if the couple accept that people might not make it, what’s the problem?

monkeychild
    Free Member

Wow!! Some heated debate 😆

I get why my Mrs is annoyed as it would probably be just us out of her family who can’t go as a complete unit. Hopefully she will tell her brother this weekend, as she has gone oop norf visiting her family with the kiddies.

At the end of the day the BIL and his Mrs are going there as it’s cheap for them to do it out there. That’s fine and I get that, as getting married can be expensive, but what isn’t fine is “if” and I mean “IF” we start to get guilt tripped about it all (I know what some of her family can be like).

The reason we got married in the Uk was that we appreciated the not everyone we wanted to be there would be able to afford it.

There are times I’m glad we live 80 miles away from them 😆

seosamh77
    Free Member

I would probably go, then again, i’m generally up for any trip abroad and a party.

But if I was the one doing the inviting, I wouldn’t think twice if someone knocked it back. I didn’t to my a mates wedding in dublin one time as I was skint and refused to get into debt for him. It wasn’t the end of the world, we’re still good mates! 😀

in short, don’t worry about, it is unreasonable to expect people to fork out a fortune and they need to be sensitive to people ability to pay it.

the-muffin-man
    Free Member

@monkeychild

I bet the wedding won’t be in term-time either – so if your kids are school age factor in the fine/criminal record too! 😀

g5604
    Free Member

My sister got married in Kenya (she was living there at the time) cost me 2k when I had nothing, I felt it was OK to say my presence was her present…

mrsfry
    Free Member

They could set up ‘Live Video‘ feed so both groups can watch and party (drink) to the newly weds 8)

breadcrumb

Worse than foreign weddings are Friday weddings imo. At least with a wedding abroad it’s easy to decline to go on cost grounds without upsetting the bride and groom, whereas for Friday weddings in the UK it’s much more difficult. And why do people get married on a Friday? Because it saves them £1k. Pretty selfish not to realise that the 80 people you invite have to take a day off work at much higher total cost than that.

Most people get paid leave from work. And you’re getting fed and entertained so quit your whining!

We got married on a Friday, we didn’t save a massive amount (wedding was cheap by most standards) but it was the only time we could get key family members and the photographer we wanted. If we saved £1k that would of been over 20%!

We gave about 8 months notice and it was a bank holiday weekend- giving folk extra time to recover!

Midnighthour
    Free Member

I have no issues with people marrying abroad, provided

– the couple accept without resentment that they may have no guests attending, as its a consequence of their decision on location.

– no one is emotionally blackmailed into attending the event, esp if they have to use up annual leave or are not rolling in spare money.

– the couple offer to pay all costs of flights/travel/accommodation to anyone they send an invitation to.

I think its about time couples stopped assuming other people view a wedding as an event they should be grateful to be invited to attend.

Attending such events has become a huge financial burden when you add in ‘destination weddings’ even if out of region but still in the UK, plus gifts, clothing, stag and hen all weekend/all week events and the attendance costs of multi-day weddings (meal Friday night, wedding Saturday, family get togeather Sunday morning/lunch before going home).

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

If you choose to go abroad, particularly somewhere expensive or difficult to get to, you absolutely have to be flexible and understanding that it may not suit everyone, but its ridiculous to suggest the bride and groom should pay all travel and accommodation.

Unless you’re putting on a local wedding for local people only. In most cases not all guests are going to live locally. Certainly the last half dozen I’ve been to have required travel and overnight accommodation, only one was a “destination” wedding, the rest simply because not all my mates live in the same place as me.

Ours was abroad, only about 25% of our guests lived in Edinburgh like us so for the majority the cost was no different to fly to France than come to Edinburgh, accommodation was also about a quarter the price in rural France compared to central Edinburgh. As it was the whole thing was way cheaper than anything in the UK so we chose to subsidise accommodation at the venue for those staying with us.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Get married where you like. Just don’t expect me to watch the video.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Just don’t expect me to watch the video.

😆 I work with a guy who expected me to give up my lunchtime to watch his exotic holiday video on Youtube. I politely told him to jog on as a) I didn’t want to sit and listen to his willy waving and b) I can only look at a beach and waves for so long on screen. He was genuinely shocked that I didn’t want to watch it.

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘People who get married abroad’ is closed to new replies.