Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • People who get married abroad
  • monkeychild
    Free Member

The Brother in law and his Fiancee have announced they are getting married somewhere in Italy in 2017. Good for them I say and I am genuinely happy for them.

The problem is that we are invited and with 2 kiddies etc, it’s going to cost a lot of money (this is something we don’t have). I’ve said this to the Mrs, but now I’m the worst person in the world 😆

I get she’s upset as it’s her brother and I did say we may be able to stretch to just her going.

Is it reasonable to expect folk to drop a few grand on going to a wedding? Personally, I think it’s a bit selfish to automatically expect folk to come (which they do as they have asked by proxy about school holidays).

I know I could take the view of it’s a holiday with a wedding. But a) if I was scrimping and saving to drop that sort of cash, I wouldn’t be choosing Italy and b) there is no way I would want to be stuck on holiday with my Mrs family for a week 😆

Maybe she needs a richer husband!!

I need a beer!!

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Plenty of good riding around Lake Garda.

Just sayin’ like.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Plenty of good riding around Lake Garda.

I like your thinking. But there would be more chance of me growing an afro than getting any riding in.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ads678

Go on holiday for a week or so, hire a car or drive there and just go to the wedding for the day. Spend the rest of your time with your missus and kids.

Maybe do a road trip there stopping off at a few places there and back. Make it something good for YOUR family.

I feel your pain though it does piss me off when people expect you to pay a fortune to go to their wedding.

tom200

I’m in the same boat, brother in law getting hitched in Vegas next year. He was dissapinted whe we said we weren’t going, it was going to cost us abou £6k!!!!

Generally people get married abroad so not many people go to the wedding. Don’t feel bad for not going, you are helping really!

chakaping
    Free Member

People get extraordinarily self-centered when it comes to their weddings, seen it happen many times over.

Whereabouts in Italy? It’s a really beautiful country you know. I’d put up some token resistance and then compromise based on being allowed to take my bike.

chakaping
    Free Member

Generally people get married abroad so not many people go to the wedding.

Yes, either narcissistic people or shy people IME.

wallop

At the end of the day they are getting married abroad for them, not for you. Most normal people will understand that it’s a big ask for you to be there and accept that you might not all be able to make it. Are they having an additional party in the UK?

Onzadog
    Free Member

We got married in Canada. Said to friends that we knew it was expensive so would understand whatever choice they made. Only the sister in law and her husband came. We threw a party back in the UK the following month.

I can’t see why anyone has any reason to get upset.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

We got married in Canada. Said to friends that we knew it was expensive so would understand whatever choice they made. Only the sister in law and her husband came. We threw a party back in the UK the following month.

Mate of mine did the same. They engineered it so the wedding party walked to the one and only webcam in the small town they got married in to wave at everyone else. Everyone tuned in to watch, a really cool idea! (We watched from a beach bar in Barbados. Which was nice.)

Edukator
    Free Member

We went to the family to get married rather than expecting them to travel to our home town. The fact we have a non-French marriage certificate causes confusion every time we have to present it as the officials can’t decide what type of marriage it corresponds to (there are two in France). I assume your relatives will also be getting married at a registry office in the UK or life could get complicated.

blader1611
    Free Member

We got married in mauritius and invited absolutely nobody, the reception back in the uk was for family and friends, the wedding + honeymoon was for us. I think its unreasonable to expect people to travel abroad for a wedding especially with kids involved.

ricky1
    Free Member

“The problem is we are invited”
    This is why we will get married abroad,to weene out the people who want to come for the food,beer and owt else free they all come for,no one bothers with us anyway except a few choice friends and some family.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

(We watched from a beach bar in Barbados. Which was nice.)

Afforded a trip to Barbados but not to the wedding then?
    For the OP, just wack up the credit cards like everyone else in their desperate race to impress the rest of us and worry about it later.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

We’d already booked and paid for Barbados when they announced Canada. As with others, their wedding was a very small affair of only their close family, very few people were actually invited. Friends and further family got the online viewing option, which was ace! Oh, and reception back in the UK later on.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

A work mate of mine did this, he even wanted me to be best man (in Florida) At the time I didn’t have 2 half pennies to rub together never mind find the coin for a Floridian holiday. Dunno who was his best man in the end but I haven’t seen much of him since.

shermer75
    Free Member

I think that if you get married abroad then either pay for their air fare or not feel too put out if they can’t make it

monkeychild
    Free Member

just wack up the credit cards like everyone else in their desperate race to impress the rest of us and worry about it later.

This genuinely made me 😆

I am not a flash person and don’t live in a world of credit. I drive a 13 year old car and I’ve had that for 8 years, I don’t wear fancy clothes and I own a Boardman 😆 .

TBH my Wife’s sister and brother are very materialistic and to be fair to them they can afford it. Where as we aren’t and would be in debt if we were. I have always ensured that we live within our means (how dull am I), but this doesn’t mean that we go without as a family.

Another example of out of touch, we got asked to go to Spain with them in a villa in May. Apparently it was really cheap (it was well over a grand!). In the August, we went to the Pembrokshire coast in a caravan for our holiday as that’s all we could afford and the kids bloody loved it (if they are happy then I am).

wrecker
    Free Member

We did it. Made it clear that we didn’t expect anyone’s attendance. In the end 50-odd came and all stayed for a week (I paid for my best mans flight and digs). It was brilliant for everyone, having so many friends and family over there. Cost a few quid feeding them all but still far cheaper than the usual UK wedding taxes. No Uk registry office thing has been required despite a Croatian wedding certificate although we did go meet a registrar for 10 minutes who signed off on it.
    We had a great big party afterwards in the UK for those who couldn’t come.

sofabear
    Free Member

tom200 – Member

Generally people get married abroad so not many people go to the wedding. Don’t feel bad for not going, you are helping really!

This /\.

I got married in Vegas and one of the main reasons was to avoid the traditional big ceremony with family members that I didn’t really want to share in my big day.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

my big day

I do hope there was at least one other person involved. 🙂

loddrik
    Free Member

Got married in Cyprus as the wife is of Cypriot heritage. I had a handful of people there and she had hundreds. Funny really. But it wouldn’t have bothered me if no one had come. Can’t expect people to turn up at large expense. Especially if they have kids.

thecaptain
    Free Member

You certainly can’t have a UK registry office wedding if you get married abroad! One pretty basic requirement for getting married in the UK is that you aren’t already married…

steveoath
    Free Member

Brother is doing a vegas wedding next year. Despite him being my best man and godfather to my daughter we can’t afford to go. Dissapointed, but dn’t know why he thinks we would spend a years nursery fees for a week hol.

😥

pjt201
    Free Member

Worse than foreign weddings are Friday weddings imo. At least with a wedding abroad it’s easy to decline to go on cost grounds without upsetting the bride and groom, whereas for Friday weddings in the UK it’s much more difficult. And why do people get married on a Friday? Because it saves them £1k. Pretty selfish not to realise that the 80 people you invite have to take a day off work at much higher total cost than that.

Sui
    Free Member

Agree with most of the above, though if you come from an Italian family you will be expected to cough up for the guests travel and accommodation.. There is a reason the fiance and I stillhavent done the deed after 8 years..

sideshowdave
    Free Member

We got married in Vegas 19 years ago, did tell anyone never mind invite anyone, the wedding was just us it’s all we needed.

loum
    Free Member

You need to break off all contact before the devious botch tells your kids they’re gonna be flower girls.
    Ime

thegreatape
    Free Member

Not a wedding but my vegetarian sister-in-law is expecting everyone to travel to Portugal to spend next Christmas (2016) with her and her family. I thought I’d be saved by work but not so. I just told my wife it’ll be paid for out of the new kitchen fund. Sod being out of pocket to fly to Portugal for a vegetarian Christmas dinner.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

You certainly can’t have a UK registry office wedding if you get married abroad!

Depends if you got married or “married” abroad. We had our wedding in France, but such are the local rules it was more trouble than it was worth to do it legally there. So our wedding was a non-legal humanist ceremony in France followed by registry office back home just us and witnesses.

monkeychild
    Free Member

tells your kids they’re gonna be flower girls.

They’d need a sex change for that 😆 I have 2 boys. But I know what you mean!!

Rubber_Buccaneer

I do hope there was at least one other person involved

Unless the poster is a woman in which case no one else need be considered.

jimjam
    Free Member

I sympathise with the OP 100%. My sister decided to get married in Italy, just outside Riva del Garda. Good few years ago now, I had just started my own business and I was completely broke.

She’s my only sister, not going wasn’t an option. I fell out with my mother for about a year because of it.

Yes the riding around Garda is excellent, yes I had a good time and I’m glad I went but my wife and I could have done without the financial pressure.

If you get married abroad you should pay for the people who you want to be there, unless you know with 100% certainty that the cost is inconsequential to them.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Tough isn’t it, getting married abroad is their dream, to expect you to buy into it is a bit selfish.
    I’m not against anyone getting married abroad, but what does it mean to them? IMO women get too carried away on their ‘princess’ day and totally disregard the expense and inconvenience it may cause other people.
    Bloody hell the most expensive, extravagant wedding we went to the couple were divorced within 5 years, what a waste of money!

igm

My cousin is getting married in champagne country. His future wife is from Riems though so fair play.

Honest view? If it’s about where one of the couple is from, fair play. If not, what you playing at you narcissistic gits – don’t you know that a wedding is about throwing a big party for the people (friends as well as relations) you care about?

Of course, others may disagree with me.

monkeychild
    Free Member

The responses in this thread makes me feel better 🙂

I do think there is a lot of willy waving with weddings. Sis in law spent over £30k on her wedding (and boy did we know!!!), the marriage was over in less than 2 years. Only thing I was gutted about was that the string quartet didn’t know the Empire March from Star Wars 😆

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

My wife and I thoughts about getting married in the Philippines as it would have saved us money but realised we’d simply be passing on the costs to our family in Ireland and England if they’d fly out. It felt very unfair.

In the end, we had a small church wedding, posh hotel lunch for 18 close family members and then hired the upstairs room of a pub for a party in the evening. Sausage roll / chicken wings / egg sandwich type buffet supplied by her aunties. Was great fun, a wonderful and stress free day and significantly cheaper than the average wedding.

stumpy01

pjt201 – Member
    Worse than foreign weddings are Friday weddings imo. At least with a wedding abroad it’s easy to decline to go on cost grounds without upsetting the bride and groom, whereas for Friday weddings in the UK it’s much more difficult. And why do people get married on a Friday? Because it saves them £1k. Pretty selfish not to realise that the 80 people you invite have to take a day off work at much higher total cost than that.

Yep.
    Mate of mine has arranged his wedding on a Sunday as it was £500 cheaper to have the venue on a Sunday. But, they have spanked £2000 to secure sole use of said venue…
    And he has asked a load of us to come up on the Saturday, requiring 2 nights accommodation at £100/night and we’ll realistically have to take the Monday off work.
    Oh, and no children allowed at all…

CHB

Weddings should either be about “do it with the minimum number of people with no fuss” or “do it near friends and family and have a right old shindig”. If you want to get married in Vegas or somewhere exotic then don’t be surprised if people can’t afford it (or for that matter choose not to afford it).
    We go married 3 miles from where I grew up and had all the family at the venue with lots of booze supplied. That’s the recipe for a good wedding IMHO. Heck…it’s 20 years next month!

stewartc
    Free Member

I got married in Hong Kong as it was just easier as most of the guests would be from that area (wife has a bigger family) and it also meant it would limit the amount of family members from my side going (bunch of free loaders after a free meal/drink).
    I subsidized my parents tickets and accommodation and just accepted that a lot of good friends could not make it, however, I did have my stag in the UK so that covered them.
    In the end the 2010 Icelandic volcano meant that I was the only one from the UK who made it anyway!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘People who get married abroad’ is closed to new replies.