Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)
  • People who fail to deliver on their always giving 110% promise?
  • TuckerUK
    Free Member

Is it fair to ‘let people go’ after their trial period because (obviously) they have failed to ‘always give 110%’, or should people who utter such nonsense just not be employed in the first place?

DezB
    Free Member

Huh? On all counts.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Please explain how at any point, any idividual can give anything more than 100%.

AdamW
    Free Member

If I joined your company then put on 7kg then at the end I’d be 110% of what I was at the start, if that helps.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Idiots, don’t employ them in the first place.

yossarian
    Free Member

Anyone who pledges 110% is a bullshitter

Sack them and punch the air in glee as they trail out of the building, their dreams in tatters.

Cougar

Promote them to Management.

It is of course perfectly feasible to have 110% of something. 110% of cake, that’s a full cake, plus an extra slice. Mm, cake.

Cougar

“I’m sorry sir, we’re going to have to let you go, you didn’t give 110% as agreed.”

“Well, I think you’ll find that I did. Can you demonstrate otherwise?”

Cougar

Please explain how at any point, any idividual can give anything more than 100%.

At the start of the week, give them five tasks to do that week. If by the end of it they’ve completed those five tasks and are halfway through a sixth that they’ve proactively taken on, then they’ve given 110%. HTH.

swoosh
    Free Member

+1

You physically can’t give more than 100%.

You can increase profitability by more than 100% e.g. This year profits were up on last year by 300% (although i’d rather someone said they were 3 times what they were last year).

Northwind

110% of what, should have been the question as there are lots of things that are perfectly possible to give 110% of.

phil.w
    Free Member

It is of course perfectly feasible to have 110% of something

In you cake example that holds true. Yet you cant have 110% of the available cake.

So if someone promises to give it their full effort the maximum available is 100%

ampthill

B How much of that cake will you give me?

W 110%

B thats not possible you mean 100% of that cake and some other cake from some where else

W no I mean I’m going to try really hard to give you all the cake and the effort will make more cake

B Good bye you are not suitable for this job but you could be a spin doctor

racefaceec90

i have nothing constructive whatsoever to add to this thread than to be in total agreement with couger about cake 😉 mmm chocolate cake 😀

MrKmkII
    Free Member

of course you can give more than 100%. it’s easy, you just have to go into deficit. in terms of work, this means putting in more energy than is sustainable, so that one is suffering from exhaustion. a true 110%er will work themself to death, of course – this is the true measure of the claim!

phil.w
    Free Member

At the start of the week, give them five tasks to do that week. If by the end of it they’ve completed those five tasks and are halfway through a sixth that they’ve proactively taken on, then they’ve given 110%.

Clearly 5 tasks did not take 100% of their weekly effort.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Did someone say cake?

Junkyard
    Free Member

110 % if i did that I would be working for say half the week
    sod that 18.7% it is again this week
    normally i do mid 20’s but the printer is broken

TuckerUK
    Free Member

“Well, I think you’ll find that I did. Can you demonstrate otherwise?”

Yes. The most you can give, no matter how great, is 100%. Bye.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I wouldn’t work for a firm which expected me to “always give 110%”…….I’m a human being, not a bleedin machine.

Sometimes I want to go for a piss, maybe stop to chat to a work mate, occasionally to just stare out of the window. It’s what I’ve done at the end of the day that counts. And some days I will be more productive than others. I certainly wouldn’t hang around with a firm that came out with bollox about always wanting 110% from me.

And I don’t have any problem finding work btw……..I get phone calls from subbies who know me offering me work.

Northwind

TuckerUK – Member

Yes. The most you can give, no matter how great, is 100%.

Simply not true. And tbh not hard to understand. As I say the question is 110% of what. 110% of targets? 110% of mean performance? Yes there’s some things that you can’t exceed 100% of but many things you can.

z1ppy

What type of cake is it?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

As I say the question is 110% of what.

Well he has said 110% of what you give a company, presumably it refers to the employee’s input.

Cougar

Clearly 5 tasks did not take 100% of their weekly effort.

No, but they accomplished 110% of the required work. If those five tasks had taken 100% of their weekly effort, would we be any better off?

Even if this is only 50% of their effort, they’re still far more productive than someone who puts in 100% effort but only accomplishes 20% of their weekly tasks, no? Or are we rewarding incompetence over efficiency now?

Rorschach
    Free Member

But do you get 110% of your wages?
    Is it feasable to work at that output for 42 1/2hours a week.46 weeks a year.Usain bolt can run 100m in 9.sommit seconds,but he can’t run a marathon at that pace.
    Most of all…IT’S ONLY A CHUFFIN’ JOB!!!It’s not like it’s life or death.

Cougar

It’s not like it’s life or death.

Cake or death.

Rorschach
    Free Member

mmmmmmm…………..cake-again.

Onzadog
    Free Member

death by cake!

binners

Proper cake? Or Jaffa cake? Eccles cake?

geoffj

Just roll with the punches ffs

Cougar

Swiss roll?

Rorschach
    Free Member

110% cocoa cake….

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

Now I have a craving for 110% of carrot cake

ie everything I can & still crave another 10%

wwaswas

I’ve eaten 60% of an 8 inch fruit cake so far this week.

I’m aiming for 100% by Friday am and maybe a bit of Yorkshire Tea Loaf in the afternoon to acieve 110%.

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

admirable restraint there wwaswas, would all have gone by now in my house (may explain the 110% of body mass – marriage date/now) 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

I is 110 % worried abit the stw cake addiction crisis…..kids be careful
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xbq3kc29Tmg[/video]

geoffj

Swiss roll?

Arctic roll FT 80s W

molgrips
    Free Member

Umm.. isn’t ‘giving 110%’ a metaphor? Do you have a problem with non-literal speaking or something? Are you all autistic?

geoffj

Umm.. isn’t ‘giving 110%’ a metaphor?

Nope! It’s cock language used by cocks.

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

Haha that clip had Bruno Brooks in it.

I can’t see or hear of him without thinking of a mate of mine who spent 6 months chatting up a girl who worked in the local building society (dont remember which one but it was in Camberley), finally plucked up courageto ask her out and took her to a local nightclub that had been done up and was being re-opened by Bruno Brooks. At the end of the evening he said it was time to go home and she 110% dumped him and went home with Bruno Brooks – oh the ignominy 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘People who fail to deliver on their always giving 110% promise?’ is closed to new replies.