Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • People who don't do 'puter backups
  • wwaswas

Just saw this on Twitter;

Just had macbook stolen from bar in Picton Pl. W1. Last 4 years of irreplaceable baby pics & vids on it. Long shot but £5k reward 4 return.

I saw soemthing similar during the Giro from a photo-journalist.

Peoples belief in both the permanence of storing stuff electronically on one device and the naievity(sp?) that they don’t believe their valuable, attractive, portable device will be stolen amazes me.

Seems to be a fairly regular feature on here, too.

It’s always sad but how do so many people end up in this position?

Is there just an ‘it’s a magic box it’ll be ok’ approach to anything they don’t fully understand?

flyingmonkeycorps

I wonder about this too. Although somehow, whilst backing up photos a while back, I actually managed to delete a load from both the computer and the backup drive. To this day I’m not sure how I managed it.

batfink
    Free Member

with dropbox being free and having an automated photo backup facility…. there really is no excuse

scaled
    Free Member

I just back all my stuff up to a site like megaupload where it’s safe… oh 🙁

flyingmonkeycorps

Dropbox (for important stuff only) and an external drive for everything for me.

GrahamS

with dropbox being free and having an automated photo backup facility…. there really is no excuse

It’s only 2GB that’s free (boosted up to a max of 18GB if you manage to make/fake enough referrals)

That’s not really going to touch the 250GB of photos and videos I have sitting about.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Backup to NAS regularly, and don’t delete pics from the camera until I’ve backed up to ANOTHER drive too. Not to mention the “best of” pics on flickr, and printed into an album.

Music and docs also backed up twice too.

People are stupid though.

PiknMix
    Free Member

My hdd failed and in an evil twist of fate my backup also went down (It was in the middle of revision for uni exams)
    I now have everything backed up on my laptop, desktop then 2 other external devices and a flash drive just for good measure.

right royal PITA updating them all though.

batfink
    Free Member

That’s not really going to touch the 250GB of photos and videos I have sitting about

you’re not really a typical user are you 🙂 2GB free/18gb total is enough for most people I think.

GrahamS

People are stupid though.

Yeah. No off-site backup? 😉

Incidentally, I have no backups. I’ve had two hard drives fail and both times I worked the necessary magic to get all my files off them. 😀

GrahamS

you’re not really a typical user are you 2GB free/18gb total is enough for most people I think.

You’d be surprised how quickly HD video and RAW photos adds up.

My memory cards are 8GB each.

wwaswas

I’ve had two hard drives fail and both times I worked the necessary magic to get all my files off them.

You mean you’ve got away with it twice 😉

batfink
    Free Member

HD video and RAW photos adds up

you’re not really a typical user are you

The point I’m trying to make is: even the typical joe-public user has access to low cost and hassle-free backup solutions these days. For others (who are shooting HD vids regularly etc) there are other solutions…. but we should know better anyway.

All my media sits on a 4tb RAID NAS, which is then subsequently backed-up to externals…. does it all automagically

ir_bandito
    Free Member

No off-site backup?

Sort of. Second external drive is hidden away. Really ought to get a fire-safe to keep it in, just in case.

GrahamS

You mean you’ve got away with it twice

Yep! (I really should sort something out)

batfink: I don’t think I’m that atypical though. HD video is pretty common these days, even cameraphones take it, and I reckon quite a large number of folk using SLRs or bridge cameras will be shooting in RAW.

Drac

Well I’ve just been caught out, my backup drive has died with an unknown amount of photos on. I’m hoping I can find the original HDs I had with them on as have very few online. Yes I’ve been meaning to upload them and that’s how I found out the external HD with the backups on is dead.

batfink
    Free Member

Yeah, I see you point Graham. Lots of my friends with Macs don’t even use the timemachine facility…. and it doesn’t get any easier than that. I guess people just don’t think about it until it actually happens

GrahamS

Drac: what have you tried to fix it?

Get it out and into a USB cradle. See what Linux makes of it. Try SpinRite. Try freezing it. Try replacing the drive controller from an identical drive.

aracer
    Free Member

you’re not really a typical user are you 2GB free/18gb total is enough for most people I think.

I’d have said I was a pretty light user – compact camera with no HD mode and only 8MP – and a quick check shows I have 3.7GB of photos and way more than 18GB of vids (non-HD footage from a helmet cam). Given typical HD sizes are now at least several hundred GB, what do you think people are filling them up with?

Drac

Yeah Graham that’s another option too have heard of using Spinrite before and I can stick Linux on an old laptop unless there’s some magic Macs do.

jonba
    Free Member

We bought an external drive and just copy over everything about every two months. External drives are so cheap these day it’s be rude not to.

I’ve had enough computers stop working on me to know the mreits of backing up things.

DrP

Is there a simple, one click type backup program to use with widows? I’ve a 1tb drive, which I want to backup photos from laptop (which the iPad backs up to).
    It’s a faff simply selecting and copying new files across, as I hereto then on the laptop too. It’s XP, and I recall a good one was on vista, but not XP…

Ta

DrP

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Synctoy is useful, though requires some setting up
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=15155

GrahamS

I can stick Linux on an old laptop

Bootable USB stick is what I use.

Can’t actually remember what’s on it – but there is some Linux distro out there that is USB ready and has a whole bunch of drive recovery stuff on it.

molgrips
    Free Member

Is there a simple, one click type backup program to use with widows?

Yeah – Windows.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Using google drive now, all pics on there, all important docs, staring to migrate the videos. Paid for extra space though

Pembo
    Free Member

I put my removable backup drive in a safe place before I went on holiday. Now I’ve come to take my next backup I cant remember where I put it.
    😳

Drac

Bootable USB stick is what I use.

Oh aye or that.

ericemel
    Free Member

So much backup I won’t mention as you may think I am a little OCD….

MrGreedy

GrahamS – Member
    Can’t actually remember what’s on it – but there is some Linux distro out there that is USB ready and has a whole bunch of drive recovery stuff on it.

Unetbootin is the probably the one mentioned above – you can load various Linux distros or recovery utilities.

HoratioHufnagel – Member
    Synctoy is useful, though requires some setting up
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=15155

+1 to this – more flexible than a straight backup as you can do two-way sync (e.g. keep a laptop and desktop up to date while editing stuff on both).

GrahamS

Unetbootin is the probably the one mentioned above

Yep sounds familiar, with SystemRecueCD I think.

http://www.sysresccd.org/SystemRescueCd_Homepage

footflaps

All my photos are backed up to there different HDs, one of which lives in a fire safe.

EDIT Plus most of the good ones are on Flickr.

theflatboy
    Free Member

anyone using a raspberry pi as backup manager? I am thinking about getting one as an XBMC media centre and that + a NAS would be an obvious backup option.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Remember to back up to DVD as well in case of an EMP based incident/attack.

zippykona

Not everyone is that clever on a pooter. ITunes always says back up purchases. I have absolutely no idea of what they are on about or how to do it.
    Enlightenment please.

leffeboy

Is there a simple, one click type backup program to use with widows? I’ve a 1tb drive, which I want to backup photos from laptop (which the iPad backs up to).

Most of the better external HDDs come with some sort of software to backup. The Windows stuff is ok but since Win7 it tends to eat up HDD space by providing lots of copies of backups. The stuff that comes with the drive is sometimes simpler (I think the Synology one works with anyone’s drives – try it http://ukdl.synology.com/download/ds/DR3/Data_Replicator_0149.zip)

The nicer external HDDs also let you back up to another USB drive you plug in. I would as often you delete stuff off your PC because you have a backup but that can die as well of course.

JulianA
    Free Member

2tb external hard drive and SyncToy (actually pretty easy to set up – just choose your backup type carefully) and burn pics to DVD too… And all the best pics are on flickr (but it would be a pain to have to download 7500 pics from there) Is there a way to download your whole photostream in one go?

TheFopster
    Free Member

Three cheers for time machine – far too stupid to know what I’m doing so an idiot proof auto backup is a wonderful thing. No offsite though – may get around to that with this prompt…

randomjeremy
    Free Member

Dropbox is only $49 /month for 500GB. Superb value in my opinion.

DezB
    Free Member

What can I say? I work in IT, used to be responsible for backups, but never backup my own stuff and never have done.
    Never had a hard drive failure (do upgrade every year or so) and you haven’t frightenened me into starting backups. My important stuff 30odd thousand music files is partly repeated on a couple of machines, but if i lost my music disk on my pc I’d lose a fair bit, although most of it is on my iPod.
    S’only data innit.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘People who don't do 'puter backups’ is closed to new replies.