Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • People who ask a question and then don't bother to thank you………….
  • namastebuzz
    Free Member

You get a lot of questions on STW.

A lot of folk take the trouble to read the thread and post genuinely helpful answers including links to whatever they’re referring the OP to.

Then what happens – nothing. The OP never replies to thank anyone for the effort or says what they’ve done with the info.

It’s just bad manners. 😡

Another thing – why can’t people use the “search” function more? If I want to know something I’ll have a good look first to see if it’s been asked already (it usually has).

Thanks in advance for all your helpful answers 🙂

_tom_
    Free Member

I tend to thank in advance in the OP 🙂

poppa
    Free Member

You didn’t thank anyone for their comments on this thread. Hypocrite.

oxym0r0n

This topic has been done before 😀

namastebuzz
    Free Member

poppa – Member

You didn’t thank anyone for their comments on this thread. Hypocrite.

😳 Good one. Edited my post.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

oxym0r0n – Member

This topic has been done before

Yes indeed – very good. Suppose I walked into that one too 😆

granny_ring

Thanks 🙂

aracer
    Free Member

You mean like
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/anyone-use-sports-tracker

(yes I can use the search function 😉 )

namastebuzz
    Free Member

aracer – Member

You mean like
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/anyone-use-sports-tracker

But I did! (Protests innocence)

I’ll look at endomondo and everytrail thanks.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Maybe we should have a “thanks” button?

oxym0r0n

I agree though, namastebuzz – there’s been a few threads where I’ve answered a question and there have been no topic replies at all.

Mind you, I don’t know whether that is worse than someone arguing with you about something being not possible, when you have actually done it. E.g. someone tried to argue with me that it was not possible to convert a Hope SS hub to QR, even though I showed pictures of mine 🙄

cynic-al
    Free Member

these heinous crimes ought to result in bannings

namastebuzz
    Free Member

someone tried to argue with me that it was not possible to convert a Hope SS hub to QR, even though I showed pictures of mine

But it’s NOT possible. You must have doctored your pics on photoshop! 😉

redthunder
    Free Member

I try to thank at the beginning and also come back later and thank.

It’s the honourable thing to do IMO.

If I haven’t it’s that I’ve genuinely forget or overlooked it, which I hope is rare.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

these heinous crimes ought to result in bannings

Exactly. That’s the kind of response I was craving.

Or public floggings. Bring back the birch.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

redthunder – Member

I try to thank at the beginning and also come back later and thank.

It’s the honourable thing to do IMO.

If I haven’t it’s that I’ve genuinely forget or overlooked it, which I hope is rare.

True. It is possible to miss some answers if people see the thread two weeks later and post a response.

I guess there’s a certain “ownership” to a thread that you start so you feel obliged to keep an eye on it for a while.

Unfortunately I have to go and fix some bikes so I can’t do that 😮

MussEd
    Free Member

I sometimes forget to do this, but try and go back and rectify when it does pop back into my head…

On a related note I once responded to one those WANTED – Freebies type appeals on the Classifieds. Guy listed a load of stuff to finish off a budget build for his Girlfriends Brothers Pals Wee Cousin or something equally as long winded. Sent him a small object{think it was a Specialized Enduro Shock shuttle so couldn’t have been that budget come to think of it} postage at my expense. Did I get a thank you? Not a by nor leave. His name on the old forum was something to do with Ski-ing, and he was always trying to sell scabby old XXXL bike wear. Ingrate…

SSB_UK
    Free Member

I think thanking in advance is a cop-out – it doesn’t really acknowledge responses properly. It doesn’t really take long to say “thanks for all the responses everyone, that’s sorted me out”

neninja
    Free Member

It happens pretty regularly – someone asks a question, people take the time to give responses and the original poster never posts again.

Very poor form

donsimon
    Free Member

I also think that giving thanks is a cop out, although I do it myself. I do always try and come back and give thanks at the end aswell and sometimes come back and give an update, e.g. a friend of mine travelled to Liverpool and on advice here went to a restaurant recommended by an STWer, my friend had a great time and that was passed on to the thread as an update, doesn’t take long, does it?

It happens pretty regularly – someone asks a question, people take the time to give responses and the original poster never posts again.

Very poor form

An all too often.

Thanks for reading. 😉

theotherjonv

I’ve nothing to add to this thread, but thanks for posting it anyway.

LoveTubs
    Free Member

Blimey, have I clicked the wrong thread? Thanks-giving, bit early isn’t it?

It’s a quick fix environment with no face to face, I for one jump in and horse around, I help when I can but I sure as sh*t don’t waste my time crying about a lack of feedback.

Cease being so precious and HTFU! 😯 😉

CAVEAT

I’m available for free and impartial advice on:

Website etiquette
    Separation anxiety syndrome (Chockolate)
    Team building
    How to win friends

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I’m absolutely guilty of doing this myself. Sorry to anyone who answered a query from me & I didn’t say thanks. (& thank you)
    But…on the other hand how many people answer a request for info & then check to see further replies, I know I rarely do. (probably cos no fu**er ever takes any notice of me anyway!) 😉

Cougar

Nearly as bad as people who post non-bike chat in the bike forum…

(-:

Gary_M
    Free Member

Like others have said I always say thanks in advance.

Also your point ‘Another thing – why can’t people use the “search” function more?’ er it’s cause the search function is crap.

I searched this morning on a post for ‘iphone earphone’ now knowing I created a thread on this less than a month ago you would expect a thread with that title to appear – but it doesn’t.

And why would that bother you anyway? If people not saying ‘thanks’ to every helpful hint you give and threads being repeated on a forum really annoys you then you need to get out into the real world more.

Thanks.

LoveTubs
    Free Member

Come on everyone?

Yes, our trails are mud-baths now! Yes, it’s crap working and leaving in the dark! Yes, it’s winter…..

…what’s important is that we’re here for one another in times of need.

So let’s huddle,cuddle and forgive.

Merry Christmas everyone 😀

simonb512
    Free Member

Ok slightly OT, but I just wanted an excuse to post this:

gothandy

Oh no I do that all the time!!!

Sorry usually down to me being busy and by the time I get back to the thread it’s dead and I don’t want to bump it back to the top of the list.

I’ll try the thanks in advanced next time!

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Gary_M – Member

Also your point ‘Another thing – why can’t people use the “search” function more?’ er it’s cause the search function is crap.

Agree the search function isn’t great but it does find stuff sometimes.

And why would that bother you anyway? If people not saying ‘thanks’ to every helpful hint you give and threads being repeated on a forum really annoys you then you need to get out into the real world more

I’m out in the real world all the time. If someone went out of their way to help me out I’d thank them. Why should it be any different in the virtual world? Doesn’t annoy me I just thought it might prove a point of interest.

Thanks for your input 😉

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Well that’s 30 seconds of my life I wont ever get back. Thanks for stealing them.

phiiiiil

A couple of years ago I asked for routes around the White Peak; somebody gave me a cracker that I did the following weekend, from Macclesfield Forest, down Shooter’s Clough and over to Three Shires Head. It was only a while later when I realised I had forgotten to find the thread and thank them; now every time I go riding in the White Peak I still feel guilty.

Whoever it was, sorry! And thank you!

gothandy

Changed my mind on this one. I ask questions on this forum and sure sometimes I don’t say thanks but I think it is far more important to return the favour by answering other questions. That is what makes this forum work rather than lack of please and thank you.

aracer
    Free Member

I searched this morning on a post for ‘iphone earphone’ now knowing I created a thread on this less than a month ago you would expect a thread with that title to appear – but it doesn’t.

Clearly using completely the wrong search terms – though if you were looking for a thread which you started, why on earth didn’t you just look on http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/profile/gary_m

loddrik
    Free Member

Why don’t we just assume that everyone has already thanked everyone, and then people can opt out of the assumed thanks should they wish. A bit like organ donor consent…..

Or something…

loddrik
    Free Member

I don’t ask for thanks and don’t offer any btw..

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘People who ask a question and then don't bother to thank you………….’ is closed to new replies.