Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • People watching concerts through their phones.
  • neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Why.?

I am watching my chemical romance on the big weekend and people don’t seem to watch it with their own eyes but through the screen of a phone. It was like this at a firework display I went to last year and global gathering the year before, phones everywhere. Are they missing the experience.?

emsz
    Free Member

Nope, just recording it. 😀

kevin1911

It used to annoy me a little, but not so much any more. Each to their own. Went to a Jesse Malin gig recently, and he mentioned it annoyed him a bit that people couldn’t just live in the moment.

The thing that still annoys and amuses me though is people with pretty basic camera’s on their phones who take picture after picture, looking at each one seemingly unsure of why it’s turned out all blurry and out of focus. So they keep taking more, as if their camera will suddenly develop the features of an SLR…

DezB
    Free Member

One day someone is going to hold up a phone in front of me at a gig and I’m going to knock it out of their hand and jump on it.
    Yes, it actually winds me up a little too much.
    Although, it does seem that at the best gigs people don’t do it so much.

emsz
    Free Member

As long as you’re enjoying the gig, what difference does it make. Most of the time I can’t see the band anyway!! I’ve had beer spilled on me, been sick on, been groped, and had some huge fatty land on me when he was surfing!

All part of the gig experience!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

See, I get the groping bit* but I can’t imagine why you’d want a recording of a gig on your phone 😕

*this is a joke, I’ve never groped anyone.

donsimon
    Free Member

I’ve had beer spilled on me, been sick on, been groped, and had some huge fatty land on me when he was surfing!

Don’t Tory MPs pay good money for that sort of thing?

billybob
    Free Member

Yup get’s really strikes a nerve, all you’ll get as your memory of the gig is some poor video footage, with the sound completely blowing out the mic, so not only can you not tell who is on stage by looking at the video, the sound won’t give it away either.

If you wanna watch a gig through a crappy screen & speaker, wait a few more years & watch the band stream the gig online….

emsz
    Free Member

but I can’t imagine why you’d want a recording of a gig on your phone

I know what you mean, they are shit (and Youtube is full of them) perhaps people just want a reminder, or they’re doing it just in case something weird happens

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Exactly emsz… maybe Jesse Malin is right then… that people aren’t just living for the moment.
    They’re too obsessed with capturing the event to show off to their friends.
    I prescribe them all drugs and booze, they’ll lose there ****y camera phone and meet some randoms from the other side of the country. They might not even remember the gig but they’ll know they had a good time

DezB
    Free Member

I’ve had beer spilled on me, been sick on, been groped, and had some huge fatty land on me when he was surfing

Indeed they are, and I’d rather have any of those than a moron with a phone in front of me.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I prescribe them all drugs and booze, they’ll lose there ****y camera phone and meet some randoms from the other side of the country. They might not even remember the gig but they’ll know they had a good time

Amen.

emsz
    Free Member

I don’t think though, that I’d want to go to the sort of gig where folk aren’t doing that sort of thing. My dad went to see Kraftwerk last year in Manchester, and he said after each track there was polite applause!!

I don’t think I’ve ever been where some-one wasn’t putting their phone in the air, don’t even notice it.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Where are you from and what have you taken?

mikey74
    Free Member

It doesn’t annoy me per se, I just don’t understand why people want to pay all that money and end up watching it through a crappy phone lens. Just enjoy the damn gig.

Having said that, I do enjoy looking through Youtube the next day to see if anyone has uploaded any decent footage, so I guess their loss…

Not all of them are poor quality though: I went to see Neurosis at the end of last year and the next day there were some brilliant videos on Youtube, with decent sound as well.

emsz
    Free Member

the perfect festival chat up line!!

Sawyer
    Free Member

On the footage of Kanye West’s Coachella set, someone is recording the whole thing on an iPad, which they hold up throughout the entire 1 hour 40 minutes set.

mogrim

Irritating when you go to one of your kids’ shows, and the proud dad in front spends half the show blocking your view as he films his offspring. At least in a gig you can “accidently” bump into the **** and knock the phone out of his hand…

CountZero

Not everyone is videoing, some are just taking stills, like these:

There are phone apps that reduce the amount of camera shake when videoing, I’ve not tried, I can’t be arsed to hold my phone up for five or six minutes, but I’ve seen some concert footage that’s surprisingly good.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘People watching concerts through their phones.’ is closed to new replies.