Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • People that throw beer around at gigs
  • torsoinalake
    Free Member

Or should that be “**** that throw beer at gigs”

Main act DJ is nicely warming up the crowd at a gig last night. Beer sails through the air, clocks the DJ desk, douses the kit and stage. Music carries on but cue lots of paper towels being deployed, and the stage having to be mopped down.

A while back watching the Pogues at Brixton Academy, someone managed to land a full pint in the sound desk which brought the opening act to a stop as the kit blew up and had to be swapped out.

Why? Just stop it. It ruins the gig for everyone, or the people that don’t appreciate wearing it (and yes, I realise that people are totally feral and may be throwing pints of piss, but that is even worse).

jimjam
    Free Member

Why?

Perhaps it’s a post modern critique of the cult of the DJ bemoaning the death of real music and the art of songwriting. By dousing the sound desk (and the music carrying on) the beer lobber is pulling back the metaphorical curtain and exposing the wizard/dj as nothing but a trickster, an illusionist hiding behind lights and noise, but who has no real magic/skill.

rubbingchinemoji.gif

Mister-P
    Free Member

If they can afford to waste a pint at Brixton Academy then they are doing better in life than I.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Errrmm,

It’s generally some other fluid, maybe the same colour as beer, usually a by-product of beer and dispensed into an empty beer glass semi discreetly in a crowded place.

Northwind

Ginger Wildheart:

“Alright, this is for every **** that throws a pint at a gig. We’ve got spies in the audience, we know who you are and after the show we’re going to get you backstage and give you the biggest ****ing kicking of your lives”

DezB
    Free Member

Same brave souls who grope girls at gigs. Under the cover of darkness, in a big crowd, pisssd up d-heads will be d-heads.

jimjam
    Free Member

DezB – Member

Same brave souls who grope girls at gigs. Under the cover of darkness, in a big crowd, pisssd up d-heads will be d-heads.

Well I’ve thrown beer once or twice at a gig, but I’ve never groped a girl (that I didn’t know). Last time I threw a beer was probably 2002 though and that was aimed directly at the lead singer of Lost Prophets. Shame it didn’t hit him. Shame it wasn’t a brick.

taxi25
    Free Member

I realise that people are totally feral and may be throwing pints of piss, but that is even worse.

I remember being at a 80’s Monster’s of rock at Donnington. The drink of choice was plastic gallon jugs of cider. Once drunk they were “refilled” and hurled at the stage 😯 😯

Northwind

Heh, Daphne and Celeste came onstage at Reading with umbrellas, having said beforehand “throw all the piss you want, there are showers backstage”. Harder than 50 Cent.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

usually a by-product of beer and dispensed into an empty beer glass semi discreetly in a crowded place.

Fine. Just drop it on the floor then. No need to lob it into the crowd/at the stage.

Jamie
    Free Member

Cougar

I remember being at a 80’s Monster’s of rock at Donnington. The drink of choice was plastic gallon jugs of cider. Once drunk they were “refilled” and hurled at the stage 😯

I was about to recant the same tale, only it was 1990. The sky was awash with containers between songs.

allfankledup

The evening of the Merseyside derby, 1989ish, I remember being in a bar in Birkenhead when the DJ put on You’ll Never Walk Alone.

It lasted about 10seconds until a disgruntled Evertonian poured two pints over the decks.

Not a recent thing, maybe Evertonians were trend setters..

Cougar

Which reminds me,

Same gig, aged 18, first ever proper gig and frightened to death. Me and my mate got accosted by half a dozen double-hard looking bastards.

One of them points at me with a murderous look in his eye. “Here, ye” he says, in darkest Weegie, “Ye. Has ye go’ any beer?” This is it, I thought, we’re going to get a kicking. “Erm… no… sorry…” I squeaked. “Well… here ye go then” he says, and hands me a 3/4 full gallon jug of ale.

Happy days.

rene59
    Free Member

Get ripped off with ticket prices and anything you buy inside, squashed and constantly bumped into by a bunch of smelly drunk strangers, music too loud it hurts your ears, get pish thrown at you and queue for ages to get out the place.

Why is it again anyone goes to these things?

Scapegoat

Anyone remember Reading before the tin can and bottle ban?

Northwind

Scapegoat – Member

Anyone remember Reading before the tin can and bottle ban?

Somewhere I’ve got a video of the most epic bottle war ever, I think just before Placebo on the main stage, “our bottles will block out the sun!”. You couldn’t do that with glass, they’d all wear out

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Yup. Reading 70s, down the front, Sensational Alex Harvey Band and the tins rained on down.

kayak23

Went to see..

…in the early nineties in Derby and it was spit flying about, not beer.

Hey audience, the late seventies called, they want their knobbish minging pointless behaviour back…. 👿

Should have gone to see Morrissey instead. Wouldn’t mind the odd Gladioli…

spekkie
    Free Member

Donnington had legendary bottle fights, but usually between bands.

aP
    Free Member

Last night at QOTSA the most annoying thing was people in their 30s and 40s taking flash selfies of each other then putting them on Facebook with screens on full brightness. All the f-Ing time.

Drac

[video]https://youtu.be/RdR6MN2jKYs[/video]

coomber
    Free Member

aP – Member
    Last night at QOTSA the most annoying thing was people in their 30s and 40s taking flash selfies of each other then putting them on Facebook with screens on full brightness. All the f-Ing time.

Same at BRMC last week. Lady in front of me was on her phone the whole time. Left after an hour too. Bizarre

RustySpanner

People who take their partners who obviously don’t like the band and spend the entire gig talking to other people’s partners who also don’t like the band.

Just go to the pub or shut up, you inconsiderate bellends.

Don’t go to quietish gigs anymore because of this.

Oh and middle aged moshers who try to look hard by shoving young kids about.
    Get a life you sad, pathetic man.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Should have gone to see Morrissey instead

DezB
    Free Member

Last night at QOTSA the most annoying thing was people in their 30s and 40s taking flash selfies of each other then putting them on Facebook with screens on full brightness

It always amazes me how many people at gigs just aren’t interested in the music and don’t give a shit about ruining it for others that are into it. Not all gigs, fortunately- but particularly the more popular bands.

Digby

It always amazes me how many people at gigs just aren’t interested in the music and don’t give a shit about ruining it for others that are into it.

I think it’s a relatively recent phenomenon, which reflects quite sadly on our times – I do wonder whether some people just go to a gig, just so that they can say they were there, rather than going and immersing themselves in the ‘live’ experience. Why else would people talk loudly throughout the entire set only stopping to take a selfie?

The bigger the venue the more I see this.

Part of it is because the PAs are quite superior these days (and you don’t need Ableton Live to be cranked up to 11) so the volumes aren’t what they were 30 years ago, but also I think live music has been ‘commoditized’ to some degree – for many people music is something to have on in the background rather than something to lose (or perhaps even find) yourself in!

kerbdog
    Free Member

I noticed a guy in the Glastonbury coverage this year crowd surfing (dont recall who the band was) but i thought to myself theres a moment right there.. something you’ll remember fondly for years to come, then not satisfied the tit pulls out his mobile and takes a selfie because you know it didn’t happen if you dont take a selfie…

Caher

I was at the Reading gig when Kevin Rowlands was bottled off stage. Seemed natural at the time.

CountZero

Perhaps it’s a post modern critique of the cult of the DJ bemoaning the death of real music and the art of songwriting. By dousing the sound desk (and the music carrying on) the beer lobber is pulling back the metaphorical curtain and exposing the wizard/dj as nothing but a trickster, an illusionist hiding behind lights and noise, but who has no real magic/skill.

rubbingchinemoji.gif
    Well, in the first instance it was the DJ’s decks and the beer clearly didn’t get into anything vulnerable, in the second it was a gig with a band playing and it was the sound desk that got soaked.
    I personally haven’t seen beer being thrown around since the late 70’s, at Reading, and people were throwing Party 7 cans around! I saw one poor lass being helped away with blood streaming down her face. 😐

DezB – Member
    Last night at QOTSA the most annoying thing was people in their 30s and 40s taking flash selfies of each other then putting them on Facebook with screens on full brightness
    It always amazes me how many people at gigs just aren’t interested in the music and don’t give a shit about ruining it for others that are into it. Not all gigs, fortunately- but particularly the more popular bands.

See it occasionally, fortunately there wasn’t any room, or inclination among the audience at the Wolf Parade gig at Thekla in Bristol last night, and with Big Jeff there, little space left around him!
    Outstanding gig, hot as hell, though.

AdamT

To add balance, I was at royal blood in a small venue in reading last week. The crowd was great. I was there with my 10 &12 yolds. Great vibe from band and audience alike.

vongassit
    Free Member

I remember the first Rockness (mostly) standing on the hill with the main throng of revelers between us & the main stage on a very hot & sunny day in june.

From our elevated position ,taking in the huge queues for the bar & the puzzling specticle of loads of people in the main crowd throwing pints of beer about, as in loads of them.

I laughed & said to a mate ‘ whats with all these numptys throwing their precious drinks about.

He then informed me about what was really in their discarded beverage holders, DIRTY ***N ****S !!

I didnt go near the main stage.

RoterStern
    Free Member

Oh yes Reading back in the day when it was primarily a rock festival was brutal for the bands. It was like watching a medieval battle but instead of waves of arrows it was waves of bottles and cans heading stageward. I can remember one particular band who were pretty crap getting soaked by a carrier bag full of piss generously donated by a large biker group standing next to me. It was quite impressive how they could fill a Tescos and even more impressive the Highland games technique of swinging said carrier bag around by the most gorilla like of them and hurling it a good distance onto the stage!

slowoldman

I remember Reading back in the 70s. Colloseum II were upstaged by some guys building a pyramid of 4 pint cans in the audience. Later the sky was thick with them hurtling towards the stage. Very Agincourt.

Northwind

Another one I liked was Gerard Way from My Chemical Romance coming onstage at Reading in a bulletproof vest and crash helmet, when Slayer fans got all emotional about Slayer being lower down the bill than MCR. Very poorly disciplined, your Slayer bottle mob, they all shot their loads in the first 30 seconds then the band just got on with it. Tom Araya was standing at the side of the stage wetting himself laughing (Kerry King was too, but Kerry does not laugh)

chakaping
    Free Member

If they can afford to waste a pint at Brixton Academy then they are doing better in life than I.

Haha. Especially after queuing for 45 minutes to get it.

Scapegoat

Caher – Member
    I was at the Reading gig when Kevin Rowlands was bottled off stage. Seemed natural at the time.

I remember Steel Pulse getting bottled off the stage in 1983. Mind you, it was plastic bottles by then. Big Country stood up to the bottles, and won the crowd over. Awesome year. Sabbath, Thin Lizzy, and a little band we used to go and see in the tin shack behind General Wolfe in Coventry….Marillion.

Cougar

I personally haven’t seen beer being thrown around since the late 70’s, at Reading, and people were throwing Party 7 cans around! I saw one poor lass being helped away with blood streaming down her face.

Can’t remember who it was now, but I once saw a singist at Donington get hit in the forehead with a can. He went, “nice shot!” and carried on with the set with blood pissing down his face. Rock & roll.

doordonot
    Free Member

Was at Royal Blood gig last night in Birmingham. Watching 16,000 people going bonkers and I only recall one pint launched into the mosh pit. Very well behaved all in all. Did notice people (particularly older couples) leaving after about an hour. How do you get that far into a gig before deciding it’s not for you??

13thfloormonk

Same at BRMC last week.

Please tell me it was terrible and I didn’t miss anything?

Thursday night, 3 month old in house, would need to travel from Ed to Glasgow for it, didn’t have the stamina for a classic 3 hour even-playing-through-the-gaps-between-encores BRMC epic, I wimped out 🙁

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘People that throw beer around at gigs’ is closed to new replies.