Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • People that drive into the countryside.
  • TooTall
    Free Member

The thing is I know

All that local knowledge must be such a burden for you. Terrible that everyone else doesn’t have it as well.

oldgit
    Free Member

Yeah, the cafe at the monument.
    It was heaving again today, trffic queing from the monument to Deer Leap…what’s that a mile?

Pickers

We have some friends, very good friends. They used to go out and walk for miles, like me they needed to go out and find solitude. They had a couple of kids. Both kids have a genetic disorder that basically disrupts their motor control. At age 14 and 10 both of them are wheelchair bound.
    The parents have no alternative but to find places to go where the car can be parked near to paths and the requisite facilities.
    Please don’t judge everyone the same and tar with the same brush. They might not have as much choice in the matter as they’d like.

jessiecannondale
    Free Member

So, you feel “smug”?
    What’s the problem?

CountZero

Some of us aren’t middle class and insular, we live in the countryside, were brought up there and were brought up to have respect for it and the people who live and work there. That includes sticking to rights of way, closing gates behind you, keeping dogs properly under control, and, especially, take your bloody rubbish home with you, not dump a bunch of plastic bottles and styrofoam burger boxes in the grass when you leave. I don’t give a toss whether people only walk 200m from their car, just don’t foul the place when you’re there. I was taught all this by my dad, who was a toolmaker in the machine shop of Westinghouse Brake & Signal Company, not exactly middle class, I think even elfin would be forced to agree. I don’t live in a swanky cottage in a picture postcard village either, I live in a former council house in a town of around 50,000 people, that’s bigger than Salisbury. Clean up your crap, it’s not a difficult concept to grasp.

cinnamon_girl

I become angry when I see household items dumped in the countryside. For example, today, in two different places, were TVs. Also part of a 4 x 4 with windscreen glass scattered across the trail. 🙁

Taff
    Free Member

It irritates me when I have to spend time queuing in or out of somewhere. Went to wittering beach and avoided 8miles of queue by taking back roads but I just thought why do people spend ages trying to get to a big parking area and pay £5 for the privilege when there’s a perfectly good cheap car park an extra 5-10minutes walk away. Grr

iDave
    Free Member

People that drive into the countryside, would probably say it like that instead of saying, ‘people who drive into the countryside’

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

closing gates behind you

Of course you actually meant ‘leave the gate as you found it’. Sometimes farmers leave gates open to allow livestock to move and the last thing they need is do-gooder walkers then closing them, assuming another lesser person was stupid enough to leave it open…

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

my dad, who was a toolmaker in the machine shop of Westinghouse Brake & Signal Company, not exactly middle class, I think even elfin would be forced to agree.

Bourgeoisie!!! 🙂

djglover
    Free Member

I’m not sure what the problem is. Sometimes when I used to live in a flat with no outside space I would spend half of my week off traveling round the UK mountain biking with a few mates, then I’d get back home and still being sunny and hot me and the Mrs would get a couple of deck chairs, drive to a local beauty spot and chill out with a few beers whilst resisting the massive temptation to dump a TV or other electrical goods in open countryside.

Still didn’t stop some sad MAMIL scoffing at us from his road bike as he negotiated the busy B roads in pursuit of forced enjoyment whilst his estranged family no doubt had more fun without him 😉

Stoner
    Free Member

ach, who needs to drive in the countryside…?

no cars round us today. time to get the fleet out…
    [img]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_t5w43Q6t-Qs/TbXq7g7VFqI/AAAAAAAAMxA/s6cFtvqaH1o/s640/P1000823.JPG[/img][img]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_t5w43Q6t-Qs/TbXrB8BIerI/AAAAAAAAMxI/sDociF7L2O8/s640/P1000830.JPG[/img]

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

People that drive into the countryside, would probably say it like that instead of saying, ‘people who drive into the countryside’

People what drive into the countryside?

No?

Oh… 🙁

IanMunro
    Free Member

Why aren’t you towing the boat too, you lazy git.
    The sandals and lack of helmet are genius troll fodder though 🙂

joat

Thought you had a table on the back of your bike for a minute there Stoner, optical dillusion I guess.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Loving the lack of helmet – especially while your kid has one on. did you not realise its instant death to ride a bike without a helmet

Stoner
    Free Member

good eyes munro, good eyes! 😉

Stoner
    Free Member

I can live with the hypocrisy*.
    Its a bit like an englishman advocating devolution of the union from a scottish perspective…oh, wait…..

* I never wear a helmet on the road because I dont crash. If I get run over Id be better off with body armour! However, Jr only learnt to ride wholly unaided last weekend, which means unexpected stalls are on the cards, hence a lid to stop him getting a head ache.

Sue_W
    Free Member

Don’t think it’s a problem – in the ‘countryside’ there’s busy places if you want to be sociable and ‘people-free’ places if you want to have a bit of peace and quiet.

I quite enjoy the diversity – went for a 50 mile road ride on Easter Sunday – 90% of the time on deserted back roads in the Snowdonia National Park, with occassional spins through busy areas – which were great for some chat and a few smiles. Just good so see everyone out enjoying themselves 🙂

Do get a bit annoyed by some of my colleagues who have a somewhat patronising attitude towards wanting to encourage ‘target social groups’ (ie lower social class, ethnic minorities, disabled etc) to visit the outdoors, but simulataneously expect them to want to enjoy it in the the same way as they (usually white, middle class, educated) prefer it – ie peace and quiet, OS map in hand. Not so happy when said ‘target social groups’ indicate that they’d prefer it if they could just have a BBQ next to a veiwpoint or have a bit of a party 🙂

Anyway, there’s room for all of us.

oldgit
    Free Member

Blimey!
    It’s turned into a class war. Going on the vehicles queing up, I’d say they were middle class at the very least.
    Still I’m little surprised at the comments here. I really thought people were a little more enlightend these days about what’s available to them in our countryside, what with programes like Coast, Wainnrights Walks etc.
    Combine that with the vast ammount of liesure time we have and the readilly available ‘gear’ to make the countryside more comfortable, I’d expect people to be a bit more adventurous?

My only other niggle was the huge ammount of litter left behind, I wish I’d taken a picture. Disposable BBQs, nappy sacks, cans, bottles and Tesco bags everywhere. I particulary like the carefull way a BBQ and a families picnic rubbish were carefully wedged under a fallen tree.

donsimon
    Free Member

My stance on the great unwashed coming to Wales is that if you can’t pronounce the place name, you’re not allowed in!!

oldgit
    Free Member

Ah we’re here…flan…llan…cghhll…ah bugger turn the car round.

Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘People that drive into the countryside.’ is closed to new replies.