Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Egypt:: People power wins again.
  • wwaswas

Egypt heading, well, somewhere but definitely away from dictatorship.

[Edit] possibly on bicycles as I posted to wrong forum…

Stoner
    Free Member

into a military junta no doubt…

You say potato I say tomato…

philconsequence
    Free Member

wonder who america will let be in charge next?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    BigJohn

Nature (and the army) abhors a (power) vacuum

Wookster

So we lose a pro western government and get a…………………? Door is wide open now people seem to forget that democracy takes generations to develop and during this stage is often corrupt and the peolpe can be worse off and as in our case now is corrupt or questionable in it’s motives and your vote actually has little effect as in our recent election.

As oil runs out and un friendly Arab states gain modern or even mid 20th century weaponry ( the nuclar bomb is what 60 yrs old now? ) the balance of power will shift away from the west………I think people need to wake up and take interest in these events on a regular basis instead of when it’s on news 24 all day before they delight in the loss of one autocrat!

Still what tyres of Egypt single track……

darrell
    Free Member

the thing with democracy and one of the best arguments against it…. is the average man in the street voter

GrahamS

Go now, dog-faced Stargate aliens tell Mubarak
    HOSNI Mubarak has been urged to resign by the dog-faced space aliens who founded Egypt more than 8,000 years ago.

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/international/go-now%2c-dog%11faced-stargate-aliens-tell-mubarak-201102113534/

chewkw
    Free Member

The west keeps encouraging the protesters but sooner or later they will realise they might even need to accommodate them.

Yes, initially the moderate men of the opposition might take over but they are of no match to those extremists brewing underground. Freedom … yes, will only be defined by the winners.

Oh ya … they might be war with the neighbour too. Now that will be a bloody dilemma innit.

Junkyard
    Free Member

definitely away from dictatorship

welll themilitary ruler was in charge and now the ilitary council are in charge…that is not quite democracy or th egreat change we think it is.

Yes the corrupt despot was pro western but that is no reason why we should support him or the corrupt regime.
    Will it be stable and pro western ?I dount it.
    Should we care ? Yes.
    Should we do anything about it? yes develop a fair an equitable and principled foreign policy.
    Will it happen? Unlikely
    wookster Portual and Spain did ok after a dictator as did some of the eastern european states – i May be cherry picking my countries there somewhat but my point is , apart from general unrest, democracies do not neccesarily take that long

popstar
    Free Member

There isn’t big difference between Democracy or Dictatorship in this case. Different dress up of elite’s moves and desires really.

loddrik
    Free Member

If the Egyptians can do it, maybe we should get out into trafalgar square and try and get the Tory **** out…

Torminalis
    Free Member

I reckon they will proceed to a democratic election. Everyone knows that the army there is very much in bed with the US and at the moment they are trying to bring Israel under control. The army were told by the US to sit back and watch the revolution sweep past them serving two purposes, they have sent a very clear message to Israel and they may have been able to help destabilise Iran.

The people have demanded democracy and will take back to the streets if a military junta emerge. If the US are seen to preside over a brutal suppression of an entire populace they will very quickly see the fall out so their only option at the moment is to broker the introduction of a genuinely democratic government and hope that the people move towards moderate politicians rather than Islamic extremists.

The US will of course have a preferred candidate. Who knows how fair an electoral process there will be? I think we can probably make a guess.

That’s my theory anyway.

duntmatter
    Free Member

Yes!

we lose a pro western government

I don’t think many Egyptians care.

5thElefant
    Free Member

If the Egyptians can do it, maybe we should get out into trafalgar square and try and get the Tory **** out…

So the egyptians have had a revolution because they want democracy and that’s inspired you to overthrow a democracy to replace it with a dictatorship? 😆

KonaTC

Depends what you think they have won I suppose

loddrik
    Free Member

I don’t see much democracy in the way the Tories are relishing front loading massive cuts and causing devastation among less well off communities. They are **** scum and they have no empathy with the lives of the less well off.

5thElefant
    Free Member

I don’t see much democracy in the way the Tories are relishing front loading massive cuts and causing devastation among less well off communities. They are **** scum and they have no empathy with the lives of the less well off.

You don’t seem to understand what democracy is.

Torminalis
    Free Member

Today there was a ruling that Gove was abusing his power by cutting the Schools for a Future program, one example of democracy and rule of law in action.

popstar
    Free Member

As long as -Elite- gets their wishes suppose less fortunate ones will catch up soon.

loddrik
    Free Member

I know what democracy is, the Tories said there would be cuts, but they way they are going at it with relish is abhorrent and far more extreme that they led everyone to believe in the runup to the election. These bastards are all multi millionaires from the home counties, they couldn’t give a toss what happens in the labour headlands round here, s Wales, the north east etc.

But I digress, this thread is supposed to be about Egypt. And good luck to them…

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Pretty inspirational few weeks I have to say. Great to see people rise up and have the courage to challenge a dictator – I hope that they ultimately end up with some form of democracy and not the Army in charge.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Who’s next? Ahem. House of Saud – your taxi is on the way…

I bet Gadaffi is crapping his silly “comedy general’s uniform” pants.

Torminalis
    Free Member

I bet Gadaffi is crapping his silly “comedy general’s uniform” pants.

and well he might be.

loddrik
    Free Member

You can be sure that if gadaffi was in the same position as Mubarak, the army would have kicked some serious civilian ass by now…

markenduro
    Free Member

Madaffi has done some fairly good things for the general public in Libya with using oil money to provide clean water supplies etc, think he is fairly well liked by the general population (well, probably a bit more so than other leader who have gone over the past few weeks) so should be in a fairly good position for now.
    It will be interesting to see what happens when the democracy that the west wants delivers the wrong sort of government in Egypt, Tunisia and Jordan….

epicyclo

Good luck to them.

Sadly I remember people power winning in Iran too…

ashleygerrald
    Free Member

Surely, this is a welcome end to the Egypt crisis and spurs new hope to the Arab world.

gordimhor

I suspect that this is only another step in an ongoing crisis for Egyptians so far all they have is one member of the elite gone replaced by another member. The army remain in power both political and economic with support from the US. There is only a politicians promise of a free and fair election …how much is that worth I really hope I am wrong and best of luck to all the protesters

seosamh77
    Free Member

the Tories said there would be cuts, but they way they are going at it with relish is abhorrent

erm it’s the tories you are talking about, it was a given before englandshire decided to vote them in.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Heard this for a third time on the news broadcasts , that the younger “Facebook generation” of Egyptians want a “non-military, civil and SECULAR” society.

Now THAT’S what I call evolution… 😀

markenduro
    Free Member

Hopefully they will get want they want Mr Woppit. But looking to the other secular modern state (Turkey) they are slowly becoming more islamist as time goes by at the hands of democracy….

chickenman

Given that the economies of the western world rely on a cooperative government in Saudi Arabia: If the Moslem Brotherhood take over in Egypt and there is the slightest hint of the same happening in Saudi, I suggest we’ll all need to cash in every stockmarket investment we own and buy gold! 😈

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Egypt:: People power wins again.’ is closed to new replies.