Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • People only hearing what they think they hear
  • benz
    Free Member

I’m wondering if some folks only hear what they want I hear rather than what has been said?

New boss is ‘energetic’ but at times seems to misunderstand communications.

Facilitating an off site meeting for 60 of our team today. Dropped boss an email before I left work last night saying all arrangements were in order and I’d be there in good time to ensure set up complete. Response received simply saying “Great, thanks”. Meeting officially started at 0830hrs with optional breakfast from 0800hrs.

I was driving into the car park at 0730hrs when my mobile rang…was lady who works for me asking where I was as boss was asking.

Got into venue with all my kit to be greeted with “You said you would be here at 7” by my boss, who also seemed to be a bit annoyed. Took all of 15 mins to set up so no issues. Next question was whether I had got the email she sent me just after 7. No….was driving plus I deliberately have no work electronic devices…as evidenced by my polite decline of iPhone and iPad from work recently.

Do others work for or with folks who appear not to listen or have weird imagined agreements?

jam-bo

Conti vert pros.

khani
    Free Member

I’d love a tenner, cheers 😀

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    sambob
    Free Member

I’ll be there on Tuesday, don’t forget your hat.

allmountainventure
    Free Member

Have you tried bleeding them?

tinybits
    Free Member

You need bigger wheels.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Fork handles?

uselesshippy
    Free Member

sounds very similar too ” female selective deafness” 😀

nealglover
    Free Member

Don’t pay it, it’s not a fine, it’s an invoice.

bigyinn
    Free Member

I have a dealer at work who regularly sends me emails “can we do so and so”? I’ll reply and then he’ll ask EXACTLY the same question again two weeks later. I politely reply by forwarding the previous response. Then when he does it a third time I got a little abrupt and he made a complaint! FFS.
    He did it AGAIN today. I give up.

benz
    Free Member

So, how many aliases does my boss have on here?

dannyh
    Free Member

All the time. Our FD is always stressed, but so are all of us. He has a really annoying habit of skim-reading emails and then forwarding on to me and my manager saying “please fix this and keep me out of it”.

Fair enough a lot of the time, but an example today was him forwarding something to me that he asked me to sort. I did exactly what I could. Verified what the other party was requesting and its impact on everyone including our sister companies.

Cue reply from the original sender that just re asked the question directly to the FD with his name in bold and underlined! I think he is getting annoyed with being fobbed off and having his requests turned into work for others rather than just making a decision.

Over the last couple of years I have had multiple instances of being made to feel stupid or look guilty due to this lack of attention paid. Typically it involves the FD waiting until the eleventh hour to take an interest in budgets. Then saying stuff like “you have remembered to include x, haven’t you?”. Basically now I keep all emails and try to get him to request things via email or written note. When it is verbal, I end up typing on the spreadsheet “per conversation with x on 3pm Wed 30th jan”.

This does drive me crackers. He’s a good bloke and is quite knowledgeable when he puts some time into something, but he tries to spread himself too thinly and ends up causing regular unnecessary work and occasional chaos.

allmountainventure
    Free Member

Seriously tho. I had a boss like that once. In the end I concluded he was doing it on purpose, a sort of weirdo power trip thing. So I left.

In your case tho it sounds more skatty than anything else.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘People only hearing what they think they hear’ is closed to new replies.