• This topic has 57 replies, 50 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by SirHC.
Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • People on creaking, crunching bikes
  • retro83
    Free Member

mintimperial – Member
    I’ve spent a good couple of hours this week trying to stop my Soul creaking. I replaced the BB which got rid of the “Eeerk eeerk eeerk” but that just revealed a “sqrk sqrk sqrk” which I think was a loose spoke. Trued up the wheels and now I have a “click click click” from somewhere else. **** ****.

I think I’m just going to have to set it on fire and buy a new bike.

😆

Given up on mine.
    Something around the seatpost creaks when the rider is seated. Persisted over changed bearings, saddle, seatpost, seatpost clamp, rear shock & bushings and wheels. Now given up and am in the process of building up a new bike. 8)

digga
    Free Member

binners – Member
    f) If you let things like creaking seats bother you, then you’ll spend most of your time teetering precariously on the edges of sanity.

There’s a lad who rides with us occasionally who had proper bike OCD. If you said to him, “**** mate, you think your seatpost’s squeaking?” He would have to stop, even though he knew you were deliberately pushing his OCD button.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

i have silence OCD

i cannot stand noise on my mtb, i really cant, the only noise i can stand is that of gears making awful noise after a muddy/wet section, which is perfectly normal!

anything else, especially climbing it drives me insane, luckily (and touch wood!) ive had no noise from mine for ages which is great, ive got a tiny sort of creak/click around the headset area very very sporadically which doesnt annoy me as i only hear it when i hit something straight on without lifting the front end, i think its the headset area but could be anything i guess (even cables just hitting)

and also, 9 times out of 10 its probably something not fitted correctly/dry or cracked, so it worries me too

my mate had a god awful noise from his crossmax st wheels, he started off not caring at all, and just went with the flow, but some 6 months on and it started driving him insane, especially as it got worse in the drier summer, it was really really noticeable on climbing to the point where you couldnt hear each other talking….it turned out to just be his crossmax st spokes needed tightening up all along 😆

i would have sold the bike had it been mine and not been able to trace that noise

stumpy01

I don’t think any of my bikes are completely silent.

My Inbred is close as I’ve recently stripped it fully, cleaned every bit of it and re-built it. But, one of the discs rub as the Elixir’s on it need a strip and re-build with new pistons and seals. Might just replace them with some Shimano’s like I should have done when I bought the Elixirs.
    (Oh, it also needs a fork re-build. Been meaning to do that for months but it’s not noisy – just doesn’t work very well).

The road bike needs some gear cable tinkering, so it’s quiet apart from when shifting when it can make a bit of a click-click-click noise that requires a re-shift.

My FSR is in a bit of a state and needs the same treatment as the Inbred has just had. It also needs the fork servicing and the rear shock/brain…..
    The dusty conditions at the 24/12 have left the BB a bit creaky.

BUT, sorting the issues mainly comes down to time, priorities and money.
    Time; I don’t have much spare time for divving around with bikes at the moment so when i do find the time, I am more likely to be riding a noisy bike than stood in the garage servicing it.
    Priorities; spending a lot of time on sorting the house/garden at the moment. So again, opportunities for bike related activities generally involve riding the things, rather than taking them to bits.
    Money; I don’t have a bottomless pit for repairing my bikes, so a bit of noise will have to be tolerated.

Ho hum…..

LMT
    Free Member

My road bike rattled for ages couldn’t pin it down, until one day I popped my pump in my jersey pocket instead of the frame attachment as I had had multiple punctures, rattling stopped.

Sometimes its the simple things, no longer attach the pump to the frame.

VanHalen

with your headphones in you cant hear the creaking.

i think all mine creak to some extent.

deadkenny
    Free Member

I do almost all my own bike maintenance, and get obsessed with creaks, but despite constant fettling there’s always something creaking. I fix it and it sounds fine then next ride something else starts. It’s just constant.

Though in the main seats are the greatest cause.

And if not creaking it’s chain rattle. Lately, despite clutch mechs and narrow wide chainrings, my chains are rattling a lot more, and I think it may be down to my switching to Squirt lube, as that results in a dry surface with the wax on the chain which I find clatters against the teeth of the chainring. An oiled chain, while attracting crud also makes it quieter in terms of rattle (though grinds when muddy).

bikebouy
    Free Member

I can’t bloody stand noisy bikes. If I’m out riding and a creak rears it’s ugly head I’ll try and find out what it is, if I can’t find it/shut it up I’ll leave it until I get home, if I can silence it I will.

I have been known to dump bikes in rivers/streams to get the grinding paste/mud off them, not bothered about water ingress as that normally dries up or on next stripdown gets cleaned out.

I’m not bothered about dry chains though, can’t help that, I take it as a good sign that I’m riding out and the bikes starting to complain I’m spending too much time on it and should take a rest.. 😆

philb88
    Free Member

Rattling DMR pedals, squeaky BB and a slightly bent derailleur with a rub.

Stops the silence! Know they all need fixing and have new parts waiting! But just wanna ride not spend time fixing till it’s definitely needed!!

bob_summers

Some people are athletes first and cyclists second. Lad in our chaingang has been a pro all his life, obv used to having his bikes spannered by someone else, rides with a dry chain, indexing out, creaking bb and doesn’t have a pump when he flats… which winds everyone up but seemingly not him!

iainc
    steviecapt
    Free Member

for the guys who have a saddle that is creaking, try putting some oil between the rails and the holes they go in on the saddle, has cured two of my saddles for a while, then just squirt some more oil, has now stopped my flite saddle from creaking for over two months.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Also, Niner EBB’s have been known to emit a mild “creak” once in a while 😆
    My One9 has the EBB1 (the one screw to tighten it) started to creak from day one, many attempts at fixing it later and plumbers pipe grip (B&Q special) smeared around both faces of the BB and inside the shell and tightened up and all’s well. But I have to counter that by stating I upgraded it to the EBB2 (two screw fixing) and a slight smear of paste and that’s been fine for at least 18mths.

Northwind

Mine are often noisy, I just don’t mistake that for a problem… I’ve known people to obsess about squeaks but be oblivious to loose headsets, seized bearings etc.

Though I’ve got to admit, the DING noise my hemlock now makes when landing drops, as the gear cable pings off the toptube, is irritating. Paint used to damp it I guess, the ano doesn’t.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Just watched the Ironman Wales for an hour and some of the creaking, graunching bikes that went past was astounding

mattsccm
    Free Member

I sat 3 parts of the way up the Tumble on Tuesday watching the ToB. The creaking and grinding of poorly maintained bikes being winched up at zero mph by fat knackers was horrible. Constant. Don’t people lube chains, tighten BB’s and index gears?
    Shouldn’t have been hard to keep things running quietly with all the lard that was dripping off their faces. Good thing there is a cattle grid with a sump half way up to catch it all. 😆

Lakes_Puma

Sounds like my creaking SDG Bel Air 2.0 is not that unusual then, although it does bother me as the rest of the bike is pretty much silent!

SirHC

http://www.vitalmtb.com/videos/features/RAW-Friday-Fort-William,26029/Steel-City-Media,14510

Noisey/creaking bikes do my head in!
    Pretty easy to make a bike silent(ish), velcro on the seatstay, chainstays, chain device top guide. If only I could silent the Hope Pro2!

Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘People on creaking, crunching bikes’ is closed to new replies.