• This topic has 57 replies, 50 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by SirHC.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • People on creaking, crunching bikes
  • muddydwarf
    Free Member

Out on my road bike on Thursday evening looping around Rossendale, & I encountered several people on decent MTB’s (maybe going to/coming from Lee Quarry), Cube/Spesh/Giant etc. All fairly expensive full suss bikes, & all creaking & crunching like hell! Gears obviously out of line & sounding awful.
    I can’t stand my bikes not running silently, it just seems strange to see people on decent bikes not seemingly bothered about making sure they run properly.

tinybits
    Free Member

I know what you mean, and I also know it shouldn’t bother me as I’m not riding one if the creakers, but it bloody well sets my teeth on edge
    #first world problems

Scapegoat

Noise from mine is the Charge Spoon rails creaking. Everything else good right now…….

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Some have no idea
    Some don’t care
    Some think it’s funny (Seriously. I’ve met them)

Had a bloke in the shop last week whith a nice bike with the top shock bolt missing. He was still riding it and the rocker had worn 2 slots in the top of his shock……

godzilla
    Free Member

My Renthal Duo and SDG saddle sound horrendous..

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I had an SDG Bel-Air that sounded horrendous, that had to go!
    My old Mount Vision (original QUAD link) had a god-awful creak that I couldn’t source, until someone told me about the mech hanger moving against the monocoque swing arm. The swing arm was acting as a sound box & amplifiying the noise, a thin bit of rubber sheet and some copper slip grease and all was fine.
    Really don’t know how people can ride a bike that sounds like somethings damaged..

iainc

Brand new Thomson post creaked all day today and tried to spoil my ride……. It didn’t but I’m selling it for trying to ! 😛

globalti
    Free Member

A creak means something is moving and wearing.

kiliscott
    Free Member

My reverb creaks the tits off me. It’s that or the saint pedals it’s coming from

dazh

I have a lovely road bike, and I prefer it, like all my bikes, to be silent. However it has a bloody stupid press-fit bottom bracket so creaks like hell. I will never buy another frame with a pressfit bb.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Some have no idea

This, mainly.

I have bike OCD (fastidiously maintained, all logos aligned etc) and some peoples bikes make my eyes water. I road ride with a few triathletes (’nuff said) and I’m forever stopping them mid ride and tuning painfully out-of-whack gears etc.

My other half is getting better, I think she decided tuning her ears and listening to her bike is easier than listening to my withering sarcasm during a ride. Especially given as its me that’ll fix it.

As many threads will attest some creaks are difficult to trace. I’d stripped, cleaned, lubed and correctly torqued most of my road bike before figuring out it was a slightly loose front Q/R 🙄 😀

muddydwarf
    Free Member

My road bike started making some horrible creaking noises, thought it was the pressfit BB30 but a set of replacement bearings proved it wasn’t 🙄 narrowed it down to my new Cero AR30 rear wheel & contacted the vendors. They told me it was down to dirt in the freehub , sure enough I cleaned it out and its been super silent ever since.

mintimperial

Hi my name’s Tom and I have bike OCD too. I hate it when anything makes unnecessary noises, but especially my bikes.

I’ve spent a good couple of hours this week trying to stop my Soul creaking. I replaced the BB which got rid of the “Eeerk eeerk eeerk” but that just revealed a “sqrk sqrk sqrk” which I think was a loose spoke. Trued up the wheels and now I have a “click click click” from somewhere else. **** ****. 👿

I think I’m just going to have to set it on fire and buy a new bike.

binners

My intense is creaking like a 95 year old arthritic. Mainly on the climbs. Unusually it’s not from the back end. The headset needs stripping and regreasing. The forks need servicing too while I’m at it. It’s presently in the shed completely coated in crap.

I’ll get around to it at some point. Possibly….

nedrapier

My bike was creaking round cannock today. Headset in the frame, I think. Not nice. Happily it wasn’t as bad and Mark’s BB.

I like a quiet bike as much as anyone, but you’ve got less performance critical things like pedal bearings. if you’re not fussed by some clicking, you can eke out another 10 years from a set of pedals that someone else has binned because they’re noisy.

fisha
    Free Member

Did a sportive last weekend and it really surprised me how many folk with the carbon steeds, deep dish rims etc ran by with scrunching gears … I just don’t get it.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I took both of these vids. Turn your sound up….

[video]http://youtu.be/KoetmUVBRGU[/video]

[video]http://youtu.be/fZa78y6_hnA[/video]

nedrapier

Did a sportive last weekend and it really surprised me how many folk with the carbon steeds, deep dish rims etc ran by with scrunching gears … I just don’t get it.

Money can’t buy you mechanical sympathy.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Chuff off ya bunch of anal retentives. Its? pepple like us that make the bike industdy financially viable………or is it you?

eshershore
    Free Member

personally? as a professional bike mechanic I cannot stand any of my 3 bikes creaking, clicking or not working properly.

cannot speak for any one else, as its their bike…but my own bikes doing this drives me mad!

jeffl

My inbred was nice and quiet until a three hour ride in the peaks meant it was squeeling and screeching after about 10 minutes. So if a bike is being used seems totally acceptable that it makes some noise.

Now cleaned and quiet again, for now.

Shred
    Free Member

What gets me is the number of bikes at the start of a race that sound terrible. Discs rubbing, creaking, chain skipping, at the start of a 72 km MTB race

duckers
    Free Member

I’m currently in the process of trying to track down a bottom bracket area creak when pedalling, it’s not as easy as you think sometimes!

garage-dweller

Anything other than seat / saddle creak bothers me. If I worried about that it would ruin every ride.

paul4stones

I did a coast to coast with my son a couple of weeks ago and at several points the rear hub was making awful noises. I know the hub is knackered and needs replacing; I know what the noise is and how to fix it; I know there’s still a bit of life in it so I’m happy to wait until it breaks completely. The look on the faces of some other riders was quite amusing.

lunge

Amen to this. My road is currently annoying the hell out of me as the saddle rails are creaking and I’m buggered if I can fix it. I’ve also got a similar annoyance front mech noise, tomorrow nights task is to identify it and remove it.

dudeofdoom

Hangs his head in shame…

My bottom brackets bearings are on the way out an my commute stead is a bit creaky und cruchy…

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Road sportives are just lots of people who have been allowed away from the fisher price play station and get bored of travelling in a perfectly good gear on the flat and spend the time you are behind them , crunching, clicking and changing gears continually, to the point you can take no more and over take them. Only to find their twin relative, in front of them doing the same bloody thing!! Some people are totally feckless to riding bikes.

Jeffus
    Free Member

Saint pedals creaking today , have stripped and greased them but its come back……

federalski
    Free Member

While on the bike a creak is probably the most annoying noise in the universe, but when I get home and hop off I often forget about it till I go out next time then hear it again after 5 minutes… And so it continues.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

+1 for the sportive thing. Have only done one, but there were bikes around me at the start that I wouldn’t trust to ride down to the shops judging by the noises they were making.

cinnamon_girl

Was on the wheel of 3 other mtb’ers yesterday, one stopped at the gate and said that his bike was making a noise. Oh how I laughed as it was mine – saddle bag bouncing around, pedals needing new bushings, headset needing regreased I think. 😆

Didn’t let on either!

fr0sty125
    Free Member

As long as it is safe, fast up and down I’m not that bothered.

spawnofyorkshire

road bike = quiet as a mouse
    MTB = some of you lot would have a fit

i know what all the creaks are, i just CBA to deal with them immediately

Onzadog
    Free Member

Heard a rotor rubbing on a ride the other day. So relieved when I worked out it wasn’t my bike. However, I dropped back as I couldn’t ride near it.

Stevelol
    Free Member

I was at Lee Quarry yesterday but don’t think that was me. I started the ride with a lovely silent bike, 2.5 hours and a lot of puddles later and it sounded like a bag of cement. If you ride your bike then it gets dirty and rough, it’s a mountain bike, it’s OK.

binners

Depends where you ride too. And in what weather. The ‘mud’ around our neck of the woods is like grinding paste, and gets in absolutely everywhere, whatever you do! It is ever-present. Even if its not rained for weeks.

If you were going to get all anal about every grinding, crunching noise, you’d be performing complete strip-downs after every bloody ride. Life’s too short, I’m afraid.

Certain things you pick up quickly:

a) Ride a hardatil through the winter. Full sussers are a luxury to be enjoyed for the 3 dry days between the beginning of june and the end of August. Savour them. If you must insist on persevering beyond this, then budget for replacing bearings and pivots. A lot! Oh… and your bike will creak. Constantly.
    b) Shimano hubs are an absolute non-starter
    c) Budget for replacing the complete drive chain pretty frequently
    d) Bottom Brackets come under the list of ‘consumables’. Keep a spare in.
    e) Brake pads come under the list of ‘very very very consumables’ – and can last a couple of rides. Buy in bulk from Superstar, and always keep a stock in.
    f) If you let things like creaking seats bother you, then you’ll spend most of your time teetering precariously on the edges of sanity.

but mainly….

d) An immaculately clean, non-creaking bike is the sign of a diseased mind 😉

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

….or a road bike.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

+1 to binners

It should be quiet when I leave the house, for no less than the 50 yards to the end of the road. After that nature will have its wicked way and it will be noisy.

Enough mud packed around the frame though does a good job of muffling the creaks.

molgrips
    Free Member

My road bike, commuter and my Patriot all creak at the BB area. It may be bearings (I’ve tried grease, copper grease, ptfe and threadlock on the roadie bb threads), but I’ve no desire to shell out lots of money replacing what still appear to be perfectly decent bb bearings on the off chance.

Probably need bb threads chasing.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘People on creaking, crunching bikes’ is closed to new replies.