Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • People not putting into office whip rounds then claiming part of the credit
  • spawnofyorkshire

Just done a wedding whip round for someone I manage and presented her the present after she’s returned from her nuptuals.

One of the highest paid people* here didn’t put his hand in his pocket. Unaware of his tightfistednes she’s just thanked him for it and his reply was ‘you’re welcome’ before leaving for the day

What do you mean ‘you’re welcome’?

I’m fuming, what a dickish move. It’s not like he can tell her in that situation, but at least try and be more subtle when there are people sat there who happily dropped notes into the envelope.

*Of the four highest paid people in the dept only one put some money in, the other three just signed the card. Not even a couple of coins

cyclingweakly
    Free Member

How long before another thread appears titled “People who bully others into contributing to office whip-rounds”… Eh?

Wally

Could it be this?, well done for organising it and she will know it was you, that should be thanks enough.

aP
    Free Member

Don’t be put off, no one will thank you, someone else will happily take the credit for something that they had no idea was happening, and you’ll get the blame for someone else deciding that whatever it is that happened was completely wrong and inappropriate.
    The week before last, my office had a lovely afternoon out visiting an interesting building, with quite good catering, a selection of beverages, and somewhere nice to eat the food. I organised and arranged all of this. Out of 48 people who went – how many do you think have thanked me or even made some vague suggestion that they’d enjoyed it? Yes, that’ll be 2, and one of those sits next to me.

fourbanger
    Free Member

You’re too late pal. No amount of office whip rounds is going to win her over. She married someone else and you missed out. The one that got away. So try and move on, rather than taking your frustrations out on others.

spawnofyorkshire

How long before another thread appears titled “People who bully others into contributing to office whip-rounds”… Eh?

And another thread called “Can’t believe i got away with claiming credit for that present. Lolz”

@aP – they should be ashamed, but they won’t be because people are ignorant

spawnofyorkshire

You’re too late pal. No amount of office whip rounds is going to win her over. She married someone else and you missed out. The one that got away. So try and move on, rather than taking your frustrations out on others.

Dammit 😥

FuzzyWuzzy

I wouldn’t be contributing to a wedding whip around either unless I knew them well personally, no matter how much I was paid. Leaving gifts are the only whip-arounds I’ll contribute to. As for his comments – sounds just a bit of a throw-away remark really when put on the spot a bit, can’t see anything bad about it – maybe I just give less of a **** about my work colleagues than you do…

fasthaggis

Out of 48 people who went – how many do you think have thanked me or even made some vague suggestion that they’d enjoyed it? Yes, that’ll be 2, and one of those sits next to me.

How rude.

Or

They had a secret whip round and are going to present you with something tomorrow. 😉

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Ahhh, the office whip round.

Not that I’m bitter or anything, but after years of diligently putting a few quid in the envelope or thinking up a different combination of the words “good luck/sorry you’re leaving/get well soon” I didn’t even get a card when I was redundant.

Maybe he’s also of the opinion that office whip rounds can get stuffed where the sun don’t shine?

spawnofyorkshire

I wouldn’t be contributing to a wedding whip around either unless I knew them well personally, no matter how much I was paid. Leaving gifts are the only whip-arounds I’ll contribute to. As for his comments – sounds just a bit of a throw-away remark really when put on the spot a bit, can’t see anything bad about it – maybe I just give less of a **** about my work colleagues than you do…

The delivery of the ‘you’re welcome’ didn’t say throw away comment. General consensus of those of us who heard it reckon it was a dick move

Anyway we’re a small dept and everyone knows each other. Even if it’s only a quid people put into whip rounds here. Can understand not putting in if you don’t know the person, but she’s well known and well liked

@TINAS – people are ignorant dicks and that’s a poor way to treat a soon to be former colleague.
    There’s one guy here about to retire who won’t get a present but that’s because he hates us and we hate him so it’s mutual

aP
    Free Member

Fortunately I’m in the enviable position here pertaining to “whiparounds”, where if I:
    a) put nothing in, I’m a shit, because I should be putting my hand in my pocket, or
    b) put £10 or £20 in, I’m still a shit, because I put my hand in my pocket.
    Its great.

martinhutch

I suppose his alternative reply was: “Actually, I didn’t feeling like putting any cash in…”

At least “you’re welcome” doesn’t make the bride feel bad.

milky1980
    Free Member

I have a stock answer in that situation:

“Ahh, it was nothing.”

I generally put into the whip-rounds, usually a fiver, unless it’s for a particularly nasty person. The good ones think I’m being modest, the crap ones don’t realise I mean that it was actually nothing 😆

codybrennan
    Free Member

SoY, haven’t you considered the possibility that she knew fine well that no contribution by him had been made and was, in fact, shaming him?

Which then backfired somewhat?

thomthumb
    Free Member

One well paid staff member here asked, ‘how much are other people putting in?’

‘A couple of us put in £10 [close team members], but most people put in a fiver’ I say.

pulls out a handful of change, few pound coins, few 50ps, digs through and puts in 48p.

48p! 🙄

unbelievable.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

@TINAS ……….. a soon to be former colleague…………. who won’t get a present but that’s because he hates us and we hate him so it’s mutual

There’s always that too 🙂

tjagain

We had a manager who retired – not well liked and pretty useless. 100+ staff. the whip round got under a fiver. I laughed.

aP
    Free Member

ctk
    Free Member

Maybe an asterix next to those who chip in? Or you sign the card first with Dave jones £10 best of luck £10 x

imnotverygood

Not really sure how the bloke can reply in that situation.
    “There’s no need to thank me because I didn’t give you anything”
    Sounds like it’s adding insult to injury. He doesn’t have to contribute, although it sounds a bit tight-fisted to me, but I don’t see that he can admit to it without it being tactless & hurtful.

dannybgoode

Kid at work lest recently. He was a habitual non-contributor to all whip rounds.

There was barely enough in his leaving card for him to by himself a pint never mind a round…

jimbobo
    Free Member

We have regular whip arounds for leavers/maternity leaver/ weddings/ off sick/ family
    Member died then the sponsor forms for marathons/ bike rides/ kids are doing a walk etc. Last month I paid out £60 in contributions, when I was off sick for 3 months I didn’t even get a bloody card! I like to contribute to a big gift where appropriate, and if it’s someone I like intend to get them something personal instead, but the preachy attitude of “it’s nice” does my head in! If I were in the same situation, I’d have said “you’re welcome” it’s a bit nicer than saying “I spend all my change on my scratch card addiction, I’m actually skint despite earning £50k and I hate you anyway for celebrating your smug loved up old fashioned quasi religious nuptials, rubbing my face in the fact that my wife left me, my kids hate me and the dog ate the tv remote”.

cranberry
    Free Member

‘A couple of us put in £10 [close team members], but most people put in a fiver’ I say.

pulls out a handful of change, few pound coins, few 50ps, digs through and puts in 48p.

I think that I would have taken the 48p out and given it back to him.

martymac

I contributed a couple of fivers for people who were retiring, both of em were back from retirement after less than 3 weeks.
    When asked to contribute to the 2nd retirement i flatly refused, ive already paid.
    Some people take the piss imo.

matt_outandabout

Thankfully I work for an organisation that actually has budget line for such gifts and niceties, saving the office whip round usually.

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

I once chose not to put into a whip round because I wanted to buy a team member a personal gift. This I did, only to find out that he seriously and untruthfully bad-mouthed me in his exit interview.

He tried to come back a year later when his marriage fell apart and he wasn’t well received by his new employer….

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

people are ignorant dicks and that’s a poor way to treat a soon to be former colleague.
    There’s one guy here about to retire who won’t get a present but that’s because he hates us and we hate him so it’s mutual

Sounds like a lovely place to work. You’re the manager you say. 😐
    The non-payer might be sending you a message.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Ha! we had a Senior Officer leave our prison a few years ago, someone had a whip round & ended up with about £15 & 3 shirt buttons (actual) out of about 110 staff.
    The SO in question was a nasty piece of work. 😈

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Pretty much everyone I know has already been shitcanned I think me whip round will be me buying myself a four pack of wife beater and drinking it at my desk

Even the **** that went got a couple of quid from me. Can’t abide tightwads

taxi25
    Free Member

If I was an office manager I’d ban whip rounds. Whats the point some always give and get nothing back, if you do get a payout it’s only your own money coming back to you. At worst as evidenced by this thread it becomes a spiteful popularity contest 🙁

slowoldman

Life’s too short to give a shit about these people.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

I’m not a fan of giving work colleagues money for inevitable life events, unless they’re genuine friends. Doesn’t sound like the subject of this thread was particularly being a sheeyite…just put on the spot.

Luckily I’ve got no workmates now. Might whip round for myself for my 7 year anniversary next month.

hels
    Free Member

We had a leaving present collection at one place I worked for a guy nobody really liked. I went to get change out as it went around as I only had a tenner, so knew how much was in there. When we counted it up, there was much less. So somebody took money out !

That’s what you call a popular colleague.

But yeah, if you care about This Sort of Thing I suggest you prepare an accompanying sheet to sign, on which people can put their name and how much they contributed, and tuck it in to the card. Then the recipient can temper their Thank Yous appropriately.

Kryton57

I feel both sides of this. Whilst I agree the sentiment of contributing to someone celebratory gift is nice, people should not be forced to do so. There’s been a few occasions where I’ve been asked to contribute my finances to some smug **** I don’t like, why would I choose to give away my cash to that person when I could give it to my kids to enjoy?

it should be optional based on your own desire to congratulate or reward not a commitment based on how much you earn or the fact you share the same spatial reference within your employers premises.

theauthorities
    Free Member

do people actually carry money still?
    whipround by apple pay?

RustySpanner

Someone you like – put a tenner in.

Someone you don’t like – take a fiver out.

Simple.
    🙂

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘People not putting into office whip rounds then claiming part of the credit’ is closed to new replies.