Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • People near Chilterns/Wallingford
  • migorang
    Free Member

Hello all, I’ve slowly being getting in to MTB and live near wallingford in Oxon. I’ve found some good tracks near Watlington and Blewberry, but wanted to ask for any recommendations or trails around the area anyone has tried?

Any groups in the area who ride together?

br
    Free Member

Best advice is to buy the local 1:25000 OS maps and highlight all the bridleways, then go ride them 🙂

Miles, literally miles of good riding all the way from you up to Dunstable.

Also http://www.bikehike.co.uk is a good resource.

mudhead84
    Free Member

Join view ranger (available as an app or online). There are loads of routes out the back of Wallingford taking you out near the m40 and stonor park/nettlebed. Grims Ditch just off the ring road to reading is a nice trail.

Blewbury way, the ridgeway is your friend. There are loads of tracks and trails coming off of it. You will find yourself going down one and going up the next but it’s all good fun.

Im not sure if rides on air do a shop ride, worth popping in and having a look. I’m just in Didcot so if you get stuck, pop me a message on here and I’m sure we can meet up and sort something out.

WildHunter2009

Ex local, I grew up in Stoke Row just up the hill. Get one of the OS Maps and follow your nose. Park Corner and Nettlebed have good easy trails to find. The Ridgeway pops out not too far from there as well though I think it’s a bit cheeky in places.
    The Thames path bridleway to caversham is fun. There’s a route that What Mountain Bike have published? a few times that’s worth a search.
    And special mention goes to the truly incredible bluebells in the woods around checkendon and Nettlebed.

migorang
    Free Member

Brilliant guys, thanks a lot for the info! Will certainly check these spots out 🙂 Thanks for the offer mudhead, see you out there!

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Fair bit round Hambleden leading out to North End – as has been said…grab an OS & follow your nose!

onlysteel
    Free Member

What everyone else has said re OS, plus get a copy of the Rough Guide Ride loose leaf route maps for the area which will give you plenty to be getting on with.

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

This book is worth getting – plenty of routes that you can easily reach from Wallingford.

https://www.v-publishing.co.uk/books/categories/mountain-biking/south-east-mountain-biking-ridgeway-and-chilterns.html

TheGingerOne

RidesOnAir are back doing their weekly evening MTB rides now the clocks have changed:

See their facebook page

MTB evening rides start again on Monday April 3rd at 1800.
    Goldsmiths Lane car park is at the back of the shop.

weeksy

Migo,

We do a Friday evening ride of about 3 hours or so just the other side of the Ridgeway from Blewbury if you want to join in one Friday.

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

weeksy – is that a group of ‘rhinos’ or similar name that meet in Blewbury?

eddiebaby
    Free Member

You’re about 6 miles from these routes (Sadly no race this year):

Routes

Trimix
    Free Member

migorang – I belong to a group who ride the area regularly. Email in profile if you want to join us.

Normally riding Tuesday and Thursdays and pretty much every weekend.

weeksy

jimfrandisco – Member

weeksy – is that a group of ‘rhinos’ or similar name that meet in Blewbury?

Nope, just me and a mate.

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

There’s also a few of us in Wallingford that head out regularly. it’s pretty sporadic at the moment due to work/kids etc so usually just whatever we can squeeze into a couple of hours locally.
    Happy to drop you a line next time we’re going out.
    Also plan to go out with Rides On Air at some point, but currently riding a single speed so tend to go out alone to save the embarrassment…

weeksy

Jim,
    Me and a mate could head that way for a ride tomorrow about 6 ? We’ll be heading over from Ilsley and through Goring and then our plan was to head up from Goring towards Checkendon and Pangbourne, then back up towards Ashampstead and down to Hampstead Norrys, but we could Ridgeway it to WAllingford if you have some interesting stuff, maybe meet at Costa ?

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

Can’t do this Friday unfortunately, but drop me a line if you’re passing again in the next few weeks and hopefully I’ll be free.
    Cheers

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I was about to say call Trimix and join us. We all met via here

migorang
    Free Member

guys this is brilliant. Thanks for all the ideas. Just need to find the time to get out there now. Trimix, Weeksy, Jim be great to meet up for a ride. Let me know when you are next going out. I need to be honest, I’m a novice at this and have a pretty average old mountain bike but if you’re not setting time trials it’s be great to join.

Trimix
    Free Member

Email in profile.

weeksy

Migo, we’ll be out Fri evening again from the other side of Blewbury, we’ll be doing 30-35 miles, mostly off-road and fairly non-technical. Leaving about 4-4.30pm.

As with Trimix, email is in profile.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘People near Chilterns/Wallingford’ is closed to new replies.