• This topic has 181 replies, 75 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by ojom.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 182 total)
  • People interfering in you for sale threads.
  • woffle
    Free Member

johnners – Member
    If you post something up in a public forum then anybody can weigh in with whatever they choose. I’d say you just suck it up.

Mind you, you don’t seem to see as many posts saying “Blimey mate, that’s a bit cheap, do you realise the last one posted up went for £xx more, you need to raise your price a bit!”

Bizarrely you do get the odd time when people chip in with “Bargain!” when something’s dirt cheap…

Kryton57

davidjones15 – Member
    Thats a pathetic point to make. Everyone knows its secondhand and doesn’t come with shop/manufacturer warranties etc. If you raise that concern, make a lower offer which you believe the object in question to be worth.

I’m more likely to simply walk away and buy something at a price I’m happy with, that’s how pathetic it is.

So – you’d look at an secondhand item, expect a manufacturers warranty, know you won’t get one so instead of asking the seller to reflect that in the price, go an find another seller?

Thats your privilege my friend, but it does seem a bizarre behavior, so I’d assume your not comfortable with negotiation, or would buy from new.

davidjones15
    Free Member

So – you’d look at an secondhand item, expect a manufacturers warranty, know you won’t get one so instead of asking the seller to reflect that in the price, go an find another seller?

No, I’d look at a second hand item and expect the price to reflect the fact that it doesn’t have a warranty, nor am I going to negotiate with some cheeky blighter who thinks they can overcharge and take the risk of being called pathetic or bizarre.
    New it is for me all the time, too many chancers and scammers in the classifieds.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

If you pay for an ad, I guess you have a right to be peeved by stuff like that being posted.

But you didn’t and you don’t.

rOcKeTdOg

1 shed – Member

I think you have just made people very reluctant to buy from you now and in the future.
    this

IvanDobski
    Free Member

If I post an ad it’s because I want rid so if someone points out I’m pricing too high then tbh they’re doing me a favour.

(if anyone wants a chameleon frame, floats, ck headset or an ipad3 then make me an offer!)

bol

I’m sure I remember a similar thread recently with someone moaning on about how out of order it is to haggle over prices in the classifieds.

You post it up, you take yer chances. It’s a lovely little self regulating free market as far as I can tell.

Rorschach
    Free Member

timidwheeler

I think it’s great that people post when something is overpriced. It makes me far more likely to buy from the forum. In my opinion it is overpriced unless it is far cheaper than a shop, to reflect the lack of a warranty. Thank you to all those who warn us newer mountain bikers when there are better deals around.

nick1962
    Free Member

I’ve seen several for sale ads on here and elsewhere where someone has pointed out that an item can be obtained new and cheaper elsewhere and the seller has taken it in the spirit with which it was intended and reduced the price as the original selling price was unrealistic.I would buy from them.
    I have also seen sellers get on their high horse and have a strop.I would not buy from them.

Woody
    Free Member

too many chancers and scammers in the classifieds

That’s not accurate at all when you consider the number of complaints relative to the amount of buying and selling that goes on.

Simple rule is don’t buy unless you recognise the name (assuming you’re a regular) and don’t buy off anyone who only posts in the For Sale section.

nealglover
    Free Member

too many chancers and scammers in the classifieds

That’s not accurate at all when you consider the number of complaints relative to the amount of buying and selling that goes on.

One[/b] is “too many” in my opinion.

A few[/b] is Far too many.

And I would say there has been more than a few recently from what’s been complained about.

Woody
    Free Member

One is “too many” in my opinion.

A few is Far too many.

It’s a big bad world out there 😥

mikewsmith
    Free Member

So skip reading most of this is there a list of websites the seller must check and an approved usage/price scale to use to determine the correct selling price.

Does this include sales??

If you don’t like the price either offer lower or go somewhere else. Not all of us trawl the internet for every purchase.

1-shed
    Free Member

The problem is not the sellers price, the problem is not a forum user informing of a better price, the problem is the op’s reaction and subsequent fallout. Put it to bed and learn.

saxabar
    Free Member

Grant_Richards
    Free Member

So does everyone also hang around their LBS telling people to buy at rosebikes?
    What’s it got to do with anyone how anyone else spends their money?

nickjb
    Free Member

No, but if you were in the LBS with a mate you would certainly tell him if you knew a better price. This is a community, not mates, but not strangers either.

Woody
    Free Member

Had another think about this and realised that in wysi’s shoes I’d probably have been equally cheesed off. We are talking about £1 FFS and TBH I have never heard of Rose Bikes but I have seen wysi doing his ‘thing’ on here for a very long time with no problems (as far as I’m aware).

If you have so much time on your hands that you are prepared to price check an item that you are not even interested in, can I suggest that you get something to occupy yourself, like a life!

gravitysucks
    Free Member

To be honest I can see the OP’s point.
    When I sell something I try to be fair. I tend to look at a few online retailers to gauge price, I do not however scour every single site including European competitors. I don’t have a problem people pointing things out and it helps the seller as much as anyone as helps to shift what your trying to sell.

Would I want to be called a rip off though just because I hadn’t checked EVERY online retailer?? I think not

konabunny
    Free Member

Would I be right in thinking what I choose to charge for an item is between myself and any potential buyers,

Public chat forum, free ads. People sticking their nose in is “chat”.

RustySpanner

Grant_Richards – Member

What’s it got to do with anyone how anyone else spends their money?

You’ve been a member for three years and this is just your fifth post outside the ‘for sale’ section.

Perhaps if you played with the other children a bit more you’d get a better feel for the place.

And LBS’s are different – part of the local economy, someone you can build a relationship with.
    One of my LBS’s is quite pricey, but I often get free labour, so I’m much more likely to use them than a German Internet site.
    Or some dodgy bloke I don’t trust from the internet.

whimbrel
    Free Member

If you have so much time on your hands that you are prepared to price check an item that you are not even interested in, can I suggest that you get something to occupy yourself, like a life!

Woody,
    Thanks for taking the time out of your exciting life to have another think about this issue and type that out.

Made me smile on a dull day. .

Twin
    Free Member

I’ve sold some stuff on here recently and asked whet I thought was a fair price with a little bit of ‘wriggle room’ – Sometimes people offer the full amount, sometimes they offer you less and it’s up to you to accept or make a counter offer. I don’t think it would bother me if someone said they could get it new for the same money elsewhere – at least you know you’re never going to get what you’re asking for it.
    I did have some time wasters, but I’d much rather buy/sell on here than ebay – That really is a minefield of scammers, both buying and selling.

coffeeking
    Free Member

You can put it up for whatever price you like but if you want more than it can be had elsewhere I don’t see why you should be surprised that people point this out, or why you think pointing it out is wrong somehow. It’s a public forum with public sales and public opinions, why shouldn’t someone point out you’re over-pricing a used part?

That said, if all you have to do with your time is point out other peoples over-pricing then you need more to do, but that’s a separate point altogether.

scaredypants

I don’t think the policy of no inviting offers on here helps anyone much

If it is right to have this approach, why do “we” then allow potential buyers to make lower offers ? Is that different somehow ?

bigyinn
    Free Member

I usually take listed prices as a guide price on the classifieds and will sometimes make an offer. The worst they can say is no.

Kryton57

So whats the STW view on this?

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/iphone-5-32gb-bnib

According to my upgrade principle, which is pretty close to other providers, there’s approx £300 profit being asked for here, plus the poster appears to have created an account purely to sell that phone?

I wanted to make the comment on the sale but thought that might come across a bit bitter….?

Jamie
    Free Member

plus the poster appears to have created an account purely to sell that phone?

Playing the long game?

Anyway. Seems perfectly fine to me. The seller is asking below the current market rate. Do you expect him to sell it for £300-ish?

Edit: Now here is an account setup just to scam sell something:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/50-itunes-voucher-selling-for-30

Kryton57

He / She (Kerry?) would have only paid £220 or thereabouts for it.

What I took from the previous conversations was that people were against blatant profit making in the STW classifieds, and preferred to see below market value generosity for the sake of the “community”. I’d fall into that category.

But that IP5 isn’t that – is blatant fleecing of the STW crowd for £300 notes. If the poster was being generous, they could say, @hey, I paid £220, so you can have it for £270 so I have £50 to spend on new bike bits etc.

Maybe I have my understanding blurred…?

Jamie
    Free Member

He / She (Kerry?) would have only paid £220 or thereabouts for it.

True, but they will continue to pay for the phone through their contract payments, as that is what subsidised the original iPhone cost. So the total cost of the phone to the seller is a lot more than the initial upgrade cost.

barrowman
    Free Member

That iPhone advert is somewhat ignorant, if it was propely unlocked then it would indeed be an acceptable price vs the RRP of an unlocked phone at the Apple store, however the fact that the unlock is “pending” would stand against it selling at that price imo. Unless I’m mistaken mobile operators tend not to unlock phones still under contract.

FuzzyWuzzy

I’ll happily point out if the item being sold is similar/more than you can get brand new – it’s your problem if you’re over-charging on public forums where anyone can post. If you’re afraid of a potential purchaser being in possession of all the facts about how much an item costs then that’s probably a sign you’re trying to shaft them.

Junkyard
    Free Member

apart from the fact I don;t agree that a price must be cheaper than new in the first place to be sold.

Mark – owner of stw

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/ad-spoiling-new-rule-dont-do-it-its-very-annoying/page/6#post-4541912

we are banned from pointing this out and this thread discusses it.

Mark disagrees and only mark and sellers seem to agree with this rule

theotherjonv

not sure why there’s a 3 month gap between the last post and the one that resurrected it – did I miss a spam in between?

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

The rule, clearly explained..

wysiwyg – Member

Would I be right in thinking what I choose to charge for an item is between myself and any potential buyers, or should I expect busy bodies sticking their oar in telling me something’s available from Germany for £1 more. The reason behind this PSA is that this is a community and I shouldn’t rip people off..

wysiwyg – Member
    I fail to see what the hell it’s got to do with you or anyone else what I choose to charge for anything I sell. If its too much don’t buy it. It’s not a bloody community, if it were if come round your house and wee in your shoes.

Mark

Anyone can question any ad about price or any other issue. The seller has the right to report your comments posted on their ad if they think you have spoiled it. If they think you have been helpful they won’t report it. If anyone else apart from the seller reports it then we won;t act. We only act to decide if an ad has been spoilt if it’s been reported to us by the seller.

The best way to help though and to not run that risk of being accused of ad spoiling is to contact the seller directly. All sellers must have a valid email address visible in their profile for this to happen.

Even if your post is reported for spoiling we may or may not actually agree with them. Where we will agree is if the spoiler is based solely on the price they are selling at. In that case, so long as the seller is not breaking classifieds rules then we will agree that their ad has been spoilt.

In short – and here’s the nub of the disagreement – what a seller chooses to sell an item for is up to them so long as they are not profiteering. If they are selling the item for less than they paid for it then they are not profiteering EVEN IF THE ITEM IS AVAILABLE CHEAPER ELSEWHERE.

If you want to help them by pointing out it is cheaper elsewhere then by all means do that. We advise that you do not do that on their ad in case they decide you are not helping and report you to us. Email them directly to be safe.

As I said by way of example on the thread in the classifieds, you are free to advise Tesco that their beans are more expensive than ASDA’s but not by sticking a big poster on their front door for everyone to see.

Sellers are also part of this community and subject to following the rules they deserve to be protected too.

To allow anyone to post anything they like at any time on another users’ ad (it’s not a forum post) is akin to allowing vigilantism and the unaccountable masses to dictate what, how and for how much anything can be sold.

You are of course free to disagree and you are of course free to post your disagreement on this forum, as you have been doing. But as for myself, I’ve explained the new rule enough and I’m not going to be contributing to it’s discussion any more.

nbt

so far as I can see you;ve not contributed to the discussion at all., all you;ve done is said “that’s the rule, **** you”

Rorschach
    Free Member

bye bye….

wwaswas

all you;ve done is said “that’s the rule,

well he does own it so he’s probably allowed to do that?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 182 total)

The topic ‘People interfering in you for sale threads.’ is closed to new replies.