Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • People choosing to work more than 45 hours a week should pay more tax – discuss
  • tyger
    Free Member

This comes from the notion that if someone needs or chooses rather to work upward of 45 hours a week that they are stopping someone else from working i.e. they’re doing 2 people’s job.

Right or wrong?

Torminalis
    Free Member

Wrong.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

So somebody contracted to do 37 hours per week and doing only 7 hours extra a week is taking up a whole other person’s job?

Cobblers

epicyclo

The principle is good, but the employer should be taxed not the employee.

This should apply to unpaid overtime too.

chakaping
    Free Member

If they’re on an hourly rate they will pay more tax.

Drac

Wrong. They pay tax on what they earn if working overtime puts them
    in a higher tax bracket then they pay higher.

Do 8 hours extra a week doesn’t come close to putting someone else out of a job.

Haze

Nothing quite like rewarding those that put the effort in…

nickf
    Free Member

I work a lot more than 45 hours a week, and I pay more tax than most.

Happy?

whytetrash

Got a mate (crane driver) currently doing 7 days 13hrs a day…away from wife and kids (and biking!) cos his boss needs him to….in the current climate he can’t realistically turn his boss down (job security) and you reckon he should be penalised by additional taxes?…get real

molgrips
    Free Member

Hmm. Interesting in theory, poor in practice. When a company is struggling everyone needs to pull together to keep it afloat, and it won’t have the cash to employ more people. Can’t really penalise that can you?

The OP appears to be concerned with job creation not revenue generation, so paying more tax on overtime isn’t the issue.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Someone is welcome to all the hours I do over 37.5

I don’t get paid for them mind.

poppa
    Free Member

Fractions.

flyingfox
    Free Member

If you work a 37 hour week and spend most of it on forums, should you be taxed more? Discuss.

Torminalis
    Free Member

So if I do no work at all does that entitle me to a refund of some sort?

Oh.. yes, it does…

cynic-al
    Free Member

Nice idea but it wouldn’t work…

Good to see the OP is off the “is it racist” threads…

pault41
    Free Member

Absoulutly not ,some of us have no choice but to do over contract hours, my contract 39 ,av 44 min per wk just to staff at correct min levels let alone what the staffing ratio should be to allow clients full community access.
    JUST MAKE SURE THESE OVER PAID BANKERS N COUNCIL OFFICIALS PAY THEIR TAX ,WE DON’T GET BONUSES EITHER. 😕

nickf
    Free Member

JUST MAKE SURE THESE OVER PAID BANKERS N COUNCIL OFFICIALS PAY THEIR TAX ,WE DON’T GET BONUSES EITHER

That’s rather the point, isn’t it.

For all of the hoopla over banking bonuses, just remember that half of that is coming straight to the Exchequer as direct taxes, and another large chunk in VAT, fuel duty etc.

Does anyone really, honestly think that this government is going to stamp down on the bankers and all of that lovely revenue?

soobalias
    Free Member

but is it racist?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

If you work a 37 hour week and spend most of it on forums, should you be taxed more less? Discuss.

Making work for other people…

thomthumb
    Free Member

more sensible would be to have the working week directive enforced. so that all the people with lousy ‘work as much as the job requires’ contracts, can go home after 37, 39 whatever hours instead of doing 45+ hours a week cos the company are too tight to employ an extra team member. IMO

ourmaninthenorth

Right or wrong?

Depends whether you’re French or not.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Penalising people for working. A popular approach for sure. How about something more radical. Stop penalising people for working? You never know the whole concept of working might get more popular.

Bikingcatastrophe
    Free Member

No, why should it? If they are doing 2 jobs then they are being paid by 2 sets of people and will be paying tax on it. As mentioned by a few already, for some there is little or no choice about doing more hours than they are contracted to do. Unlikely to be enough to provide a job for someone else. If a person is doing 2 jobs then perhaps it suggests they did a better job of selling themselves and demonstrating their capability than those that didn’t get the job – or perhaps they have a greater desire to do the second job (possibly motivated by their financial needs etc). Too many people who are not working are not prepared to work for the sake of it but are particular about what they want to do or need to earn which leaves a lot of the menial, dull, rubbish jobs for those whose need for work / the money is greater than their pride in what job they do.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

If you work a 37 hour week and spend most of it on forums, should you be taxed more? Discuss.

No, you should be taxed less because you’re not working, so someone else has to do the work you’re not doing.
    Extending that, if I go off on long term skiving sick, I should be made tax free because of my sterling job creation efforts.

samuri
    Free Member

Completely and utterly wrong. The vast majority of people working more than the normal amount do so as part of the job conditions. The work needs doing, the company need people to do the work. They’re not going to hire more. This sounds like the crazy talk of a government who taxes nurses at 40%.

Personally they can charge me 100% tax on the many hours above 45 that I work, because I don’t get paid one penny for them.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘People choosing to work more than 45 hours a week should pay more tax – discuss’ is closed to new replies.