Viewing 38 posts - 121 through 158 (of 158 total)
  • People buying off the classified then selling on for a profit
  • racing_ralph
    Free Member

fennerhorne – absolutely spot on

richc
    Free Member

its not the over priced stuff people are bothered about, its the traders driving down the price and people letting them have it as they *think* its helping someone out of a sticky spot and allowing them to get out on there bike again, where in reality its just helping them make a bigger profit margin.

its a bit like someone waiting at the trail edge pretending to fix a puncture and accepting inner tubes from everyone who goes past and then selling them on. They wouldn’t be doing anything illegal as they were given the tubes freely, however its not really in the spirit of things.

nonk
    Free Member

you are paranoid are you not?

racing_ralph
    Free Member

If you get a bit you want at a bargain price – quelle problem?

nonk
    Free Member

you have someting to sell,it goes on sale..you get the price your happy with
    and then you forget about it.
    or you can stalk the buyer for the rest of you life.

MrAgreeable

Not sure I agree with the forum capitalists on this one. If small time traders are buying up the reasonably priced stuff in order to make a profit, over time that’s going to drive up the price. Supply and demand plays a part but you can also get a situation where people pay over the odds for stuff just because they expect to.

bustafajones
    Free Member

driving down the price? what are you on about man??!!

1. if you are selling and someone is haggling to find a more agreeable price and you feel as if you are being hard done by then don’t sell

2. if you are buying and the price is too high and the seller wont haggle then dont buy.

stick by those rules and you wont feel like you have been hard done by regardless if someone gives it a polish and makes some extra dough. thats just a basic finacial risk assessment and could go either way.

another thing which isnt factored is the huge time and effort commitment it takes to strip bike to sell for parts. if you work it out in terms of £/hr it really is not that good a proposition!

Glad to be shot of it now although if you see a sitter, why not buy it??!!

nonk
    Free Member

bustafa your first point is a thread closer for me how can it be more complex than that?

vadar
    Free Member

I know i wasnt gona comment on this anymore…But when i see the amount of people commenting i feel i have to..
    DAFFY was not the only one interested in the wheels..Cheap yes, and gettin passed on to another mtb associate im happy with..
    15-20 people contacted me before daffy did,,timewasters and **** (not all of them, you know who you are,and you do it on loads of threads.) wanting an even better bargain…
    He came up with the cash first after the wasters and the browserz wasted most of the day. So i really dont see where stw folk can say he stopped people from buying who realy need them.

ChrisS
    Free Member

So what we are left with is;

Community vs Free market economics

I suspect this argument is going to run and run 🙁

Junkyard
    Free Member

I think to trade is against the spirit of the forum.
    I think to try to recover your spending is OK
    I am careful who I offer things to depending on how often they post whether it is genuine or just to get free bits etc.
    I have given and received stuff for free and had some good bargains …most of which I have passed on by selling the replacement stuff at a similar reasonable/good price…. surely this is more what the forum should be about?
    Just a microcosm of the real world some people will be nice and some people will exploit that for their own personal gain.
    In this instance Daffy (and I don’t know him) you have my sympathies as I don’t think you are trading just trying to cover your costs/losses

muddy_fox
    Free Member

I can’t be bothered to read all the replies but the best response i ever saw on this subject was from mrmichaelwright of this ‘ere forum who wrote something along the lines of:

“I bought some bananas in Tesco the other day for two quid. turns out he had bought them off some bloke in the windies for 10p”.

Get over it.

Olly
    Free Member

the only person who could be offended by it, is the person who owned it originally, but they couldnt be arsed to faff with ebay, and didnt want it anyway.

ive got some bits i want out of my life, as far as im concerned they can go in a skip, but someone may appreciate them and ide rather they went to a home than landfill,
    when i get around to cataloguing it, it will be going on STW for free (other than cost of postage if not locals)
    if someone manages to get a tenner for something, good for them, i cant be arsed with fleabay

PikeBN14
    Free Member

Daffy – Member
    Right now scardypants I can’t afford the “Hit” I’m a student who was living offof the interest on my savings. I can’t afford to do that now, hence selling stuff, Including the Ti456, the Kona A, ALL my spare wheels, the Alfine, the Satmap etc etc.

Starting to downgrade and hopefully get enough cash to survive until the summer.

I can’t be bothered to read any further than the quote above, I’d love to be a ‘poor’ student, having to live off my savings and shed some of my spare wheeels!! FFS, try being employed, having every single perk removed, shift allowances cut, no sign of a payrise with ever increasing outgoings…. Savings are a thing of the past!

Oh, and yes, I agree with the original post, it shouldn’t go on on a regular basis, sure I’ve bought a seatpost that I didn’t end up using, stuck it on ebay to see if I got more or less for it and made about 6 quid before the commission, paypal fees etc, but it could have gone the other way. (It seemed at first the seatpost had got lost in the post and the buyer told me they were a poor struggling student that couldn’t afford to lose any money, nor can the employed!!!)

Sorry, rant over.

vadar
    Free Member

olly you are right… Im not offended though, and i couldnt be arsed .
    but it has made me look at the moanin c***s on stw in a different light.

Sour plooms

soobalias
    Free Member

ive made my feelings about certain forum dwellers known in the past.

i see that they are happy to type their way out of it.

i dont buy or sell here much, but i certainly know who i wouldnt deal with. The attitude of some buyers/sellers brings the whole classifieds down, they are playing on the feeling of community to make a quick buck, i wouldnt accept it from a ‘friend’ more than once either.

nice to see classifieds now sort by topic – a shame forumites couldnt exert more self control, but its out of their hands now.
    just waiting for the inevitable multiple reposts 🙁

ChrisS
    Free Member

@vader: Care to name who you are referring to as “moaning c**ts”? just want to be clear in case we ever meet in person…..

JonR
    Free Member

I’m a poor skint student having to sell my bike bits to survive

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/buy-my-sexy-cove-hummer

but I’ll have that sexy frame if its a bargain 🙂

clubber
    Free Member

Daffy yesterday

(confessions of a shopaholic for those who don’t know…)

vadar
    Free Member

freedom of speech———is that not another hot topic on here…..My last post Could have been worded better though,,,But thats life..

This topic has angered me and made me rear my ugly side…
    So dont be offended by my comments.

Andyhilton
    Free Member

I really didn’t mean for this to be a witchunt.

Daffy – I’m sorry for starting this now but I still stand by my ‘Not in the spirit of the community’ aspect.

For someone that is skint, you keep asking for pics for a lot of ‘Bling’ bits/bikes. Cove hummer? If you can be classed as a trader then trade but don’t snap up all the bargains from other bikers that may actually want the part rather than the opportunity of a profit.

willyboy
    Free Member

What about if you buy of the crc flood sale and then sell on for a profit? Does that count?

Daffy

I didn’t ask for pics of the Hummer, nor am I buying the Hummer. I just thought it might help to sell the frame if a price were to be posted.

I used to own a Hummer…don’t really need/want another…

ChrisS
    Free Member

@ Vader: No worries. Freedom of speech? possibly, but you also need to abide by the rules:

If you resort to abuse of other forum users we will consider that a negative use of our forum.

vadar
    Free Member

Point taken !

stumpyjumper
    Free Member

daffy, if that is indeed a pic of you and you can back it up with any more il take your poor but pretty ass out for a drink!

jonjones13
    Free Member

Bought from Daffy before and he is a stand up guy.

Some people (like me) are perfectionists about their bikes so keep (almost constantly in my case) chopping and changing various bits of their rides. I try and pick bits up at bargain prices, if I do then change my mind I hope I am safe in the knowledge I can sell on for at least what I paid.

If I keep my eye on the forums and get a screamer of a bargain, then change my mind at some later date, so f’king what ? It’s not neccessarily being bought specifically to sell on and make money, it’s just a better mind-changing insurance if I can get it for a great price.

On the flip side of all this I have bought (and then sold on due to my wretched indecision) some kit in the past (anyone remember my red Indy Fab Deluxe, bought for an undisclosed sum (to save my embarresment) and sold on ebay for £300 – OUCH !) Swings and roundabouts……..

Jamie
    Free Member

Holy thread resurrection batman!

zaskar
    Free Member

Be quiet Boy-Jamie!

taka
    Free Member

Steve-Austin – Member

What really grates is when a buyer is giving it the old 'Only got £XXX left in the Paypal account','I would but pay day is next week so I can only go to £XXX' etc so you let them have it cheaper thinking at least its going to get use by another forum dweller (karma and all that) and actually its to increase their bloody profit margin.

taka?

im not that smart and i dont go out and aim to make money i get bored eaisly and like to change thing about alot… ive had bikes that ive never ridden which ive sold on because i want to build another…

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Taka why have you raked this up?

taka
    Free Member

i dont know searched that guys name who ton's talking about and saw this and my name 😥

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Bustafajones/freeform5spot is a decent fella in the flesh 🙂

taka
    Free Member

even when tons finished with him 😆 btw ive replyed to my swap post on the classified

racing_ralph
    Free Member

He is not a small lad himself tho

Taff
    Free Member

I don't find it any different from buying stuff on eBay and selling on for a profit. My mrs used to buy a lot of goods of eBay especially stuff with no pictures – she made a grand one month on top of her normal salary. I have done the same in the past with stuff on here too, at the end of the day you've got to look after number one

oldgit
    Free Member

Strangley I'm finding that this doesn't bother me. When I sell stuff it's because it's no longer wanted or I've ballsed up, profit doesn't come into it. When it's sold it isn't mine anymore and if someone wants to make a quick buck and isn't doing any harm then Ok. I wouldn't or couldn't be bothered to do it myself though.

However if someone was offering me a bike to get rid of for nothing and I thought stripping it down might earn me a few bob, then I might have a go.

I did get annoyed by someone who outbid me by a few quid for a NOS Alan cross frame on Ebay that I really really wanted.When Ilost it I bought something else,only to see him selling it a week later….Git.

psychle
    Free Member

would only annoy me if someone haggled me down with some sob story and then sold for a profit, that would boil my piss in fact 👿

Viewing 38 posts - 121 through 158 (of 158 total)

The topic ‘People buying off the classified then selling on for a profit’ is closed to new replies.