Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)
  • People being selfish and inconsiderate in public?!
  • jekkyl

Do you think people are becoming more selfish and entitled as of late or is it just me getting older and vaguely more grumpy? I always try to be as considerate as possible and will always put myself in others heads and examine my own actions if you will. Other people just seem to be either completely ignorant or wilful in their selfishness in that they truly just do not care. Couple of examples.

.Man parked in the ‘dropping off’ area at the supermarket, it is clearly marked as such and he spent 30 minutes dropping off. Perhaps you wanted to drop someone elderly off or someone in a wheelchair but you couldn’t coz this arsehole was parked there smoking a stinking fag.
    .Several people parked over the path outside the school so people with a pram (me!) are forced to walk in the road dodging other cars, arseholes!!
    .Watching a swimming lesson for my 5yr old and there’s a woman with a young child who every week lets him watch **** peppa pig on a tablet with the sound up, headphones are like 2 quid, and then we all wouldn’t have to hear about Daddy pig’s latest catastrophe.

bearnecessities

I spent 30 mins dropping off this morning.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Yes, people certainly do seem to have less patience and tolerance of the rich tapestry of society nowadays. Oh hold on… What was the question?

Rorschach
    Free Member

jekkyl

lol, glad to hear it Bear. Issue 110 providing distraction?

project
    Free Member

From experience kids to teenagers are usually well behaved and dont usuallly deliberately block you, and always move if politely asked, the 30 to 50, 3/4 of them sem to have some sort of attitude disfunction, especially those driving certain brands of car, and usually wearing glasses, then there are some of the older angry lot, who will just push young people out of the way to get on oir off a train etc.

Life is changing as it always has, do your best for others and if upset, rant on a bike forum and all will be better.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

It is often folks who have been dealt a poor hand in life on some way. They then take each opportunity to redress the balance and also see ieach inadvertent slight as one of a series of microagressions and so in both circumstances invest a lot of meaning into these actions.

RustySpanner

Yes.

Lots of little acts of petty selfishness and thoughtlessness are now acceptable, whereas they would have been frowned upon previously.

I blame the relentlessly promoted cult of the individual.
    Selfishness, greed and a total disregard for others, especially those less well off, are now seen as virtues, rather than the telltale signs of a selfish, arrogant ****.

milky1980
    Free Member

As the country gets more crowded it’s just going to get worse I think. I’m not talking about immigrants, just everyone living on top of each other in big cities, housing estates with as many crappy houses crammed in as possible, gridlocked roads and congested shopping centres.

From experience kids to teenagers are usually well behaved and dont usuallly deliberately block you, and always move if politely asked, the 30 to 50, 3/4 of them sem to have some sort of attitude disfunction, especially those driving certain brands of car, and usually wearing glasses, then there are some of the older angry lot, who will just push young people out of the way to get on oir off a train etc.

My experience too.

RustySpanner

And mine.
    Youngsters are almost always painfully pleasant these days.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I seem to be getting more tolerant these days. I just observe and move on.
    I thin in part at least this is because I dont often drive a car, something which infuriates me.

But yeah. It’s mainly middle aged adults. Youngsters are mostly decent and polite. I hope they stay that way!

aracer
    Free Member

2 of the 3 you mentioned involve cars, which appear to be the universal implement of choice for being a complete ****.

Though I’m pleased to see it’s not just me who encounters polite teenagers – they seem to get an undeservedly bad press. Maybe it’s because they haven’t started driving yet?

irc

As the country gets more crowded it’s just going to get worse I think. I’m not talking about immigrants,

Mostly you are though. UK population forecast to increase by 10 million in the next 25 years. Mostly due to immigration. Congestion is going to get worse.

The ONS said: “About 68% of the projected increase … is either directly attributable to future migration [51% of projected growth], or indirectly attributable to future migration through its effect on births and deaths [17% of projected growth].”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/oct/29/uk-population-expected-to-rise-by-almost-10-million-in-25-years

As for people being more selfish? Can’t say I’ve noticed. There has always been inconsiderate parking. Being in a car does bring out the worst in people but not sure it’s any worse than it has ever been. All my neighbours seem to be considerate. Biggest local issue is probably a bit of litter. Almost entirely from teenagers as it happens.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Has anyone blamed Brexit yet?

DezB
    Free Member

Personally, I’ve always thought most people are inconsiderate, ignorant idiots. Nothing new, so must be that you’re just beginning to notice.

teasel
    Free Member

Please tell me this isn’t going to become your new thing. Y’know, like that bodybuilder guy pic you post on all the protein shake threads.

Boring…

lambchop
    Free Member

Tops of mountains, everyone wants to reach the top and get a picture. That’s fine but once you’ve got your selfie **** off the summit and let the next people have their turn don’t sit and eat your lunch where you’ll be in everyone elses photo. That’s to you thoughtless ginger nan eating ham sandwiches in all our Snowdon photos, c#nt!!! Rant over.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Jeez rambling’s got a bit uptight?

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

Tops of mountains, everyone wants to reach the top and get a picture. That’s fine but once you’ve got your selfie **** off the summit and let the next people have their turn don’t sit and eat your lunch where you’ll be in everyone elses photo. That’s to you thoughtless ginger nan eating ham sandwiches in all our Snowdon photos, c#nt!!! Rant over.

I spend a fair bit of time up hills. I can’t honestly say I’ve ever thought ‘I should make sure I’m not too close to anyone in case they want to take a picture without me in it’.

Am I a bad person, or are you just really angry?

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

@ PeterPoddy – Yup they use projection, distraction (look it’s them over there wrecking the place), passive aggression, mobbing, emotional blackmail and lies.

Oh and support fellow twatbags (politicians pressure groups etc) on the most tenuous and arbitrary basis, subject to changes in the wind (single issues regardless of collateral damage) to achieve selfish little victories.

The first rule of fight club, always shoot the messenger 😉

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

This whole thread is selfish and incosiderate

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

On the specific issue of parking, it does seem to have degenerated into a complete free-for-all over the last few years.

Other than that, I still find most people, of all backgrounds and ages, decent.

cozz
    Free Member

do you live down south?

that’s where it started

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

do you live down south?
    that’s where it started

I’m a Northerer but never got with this “Southerners are rude” stereotype.

I lived in London for many years and, if anything, found myself more likely to wind up in conversation with a stranger than anywhere else I’ve lived.

The standard/manner of driving in London is completely insane. But once people are out of their cars, they’re nice again 😀

BobaFatt
    Free Member

People who park in parent and baby/toddler spaces when their kids are 16,at home and playing xbox.

Same goes for disabled spaces and able bodied folk using their disabled family members badge…… Again, nowhere to be seen

jekkyl

Lol @ thoughtless ginger nan. Does being ginger make a nan more prone to selfish traits? I think we need to see a picture of said nan.

tjagain

I think its got a lot worse. Could be my perspective but driving and parking people behave appallingly.

road rage against cyclists has certainly got worse – but I think this is a symptom of road congestion rather than anything else

RustySpanner

CaptainFlashheart – Member

Don’t be ridiculous.
    We all know it was Th******’s fault.

🙂

alexpalacefan

Absolutely OP, people only thinking of themselves. Or maybe just not thinking at all.

And Rusty, you’re right,it is Thatcher’s fault. Once “there’s no such thing as society”, this is what you get.

APF

donald
    Free Member

As the country gets more crowded it’s just going to get worse I think.

Or we could go the opposite direction and turn polite like the Japanese.

tjagain

Rusty – glad you recognise that 😉 She did after all promote the cult of the individual and greed is good away from the communal consensus of earlier times

RustySpanner

I was being partly serious TJ.

The transformation of greed from a sin to a virtue is her most enduring legacy.

Lifer
    Free Member

If you think it’s bad here try queuing, in Spain, with a tour bus load of Russians behind you trying to push to the front to take their selfies, smoke fags and drop litter. 😡

slowoldman

Everyone these days is a **** except me.

tjagain

So was I rusty.

theotherjonv

Becoming my standard response to these threads, but when you see that do you actually do anything about it? Or just tut inwardly and then post about it. Because if we accept these behaviours unchallenged, then they will become the norm and then will be harder to change.

Yes, it might be uncomfortable, it might put you ‘in the firing line’ of people that don’t like having their unsociable behaviour challenged – but just because it’s hard doesn’t mean we collectively shouldn’t do it.

‘Excuse me, hope you don’t mind me saying this but your daughter’s Peppa Pig videos are quite disturbing when we’re trying to watch and hear what the teacher is saying. Do you think you could turn it down or get her some headphones?’

RustySpanner

Shhhhhh..
    I don’t think we’re allowed to be left wing on here anymore.

The current compulsory STW re education programme is fun though isn’t it?

tjagain

theotherjonv – I do. Sometimes it works, other times you get a mouthful of abuse.

project
    Free Member

today on a train,teenagers standing in doorway of train, always moved to let others on and off, middle aged men and women just barged past and stood in doorway blocking others.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’m a Northerer but never got with this “Southerners are rude” stereotype.

I lived in London for many years and, if anything, found myself more likely to wind up in conversation with a stranger than anywhere else I’ve lived.

The standard/manner of driving in London is completely insane. But once people are out of their cars, they’re nice again

Agreed. As a sweeping generalisation I find southerners more open minded, then as you move further north the ‘small town attitude’ creeps in to the point where you feel uncomfortable if you happen to look, act etc bit different. Not so long ago I was openly mocked in Nottingham (I’m from Sutton-in-Ashfield, Notts originally) for daring to wear something deemed not part of the chav uniform, whilst walking through the Lace Market area. Nobody round here would give a damn.
    I’ve lived in Hampshire for over 25 years.

But yeah, driving can get better further north as there’s less cars about….

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘People being selfish and inconsiderate in public?!’ is closed to new replies.