Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 240 total)
  • Pentlands trail repair dates
  • TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Pistachio is in the park and is on the list – it would involve a lot of work and could do with some consultation with the horse riders who use it. Needs a lot of work doing and runs the risk of folk complaining of “sanitisation” more work in Green clough / around the Howe ( the bit you mention) might be a good one as well

Pantoms has work being done on it by the “friends of the pentlands” – don’t want to clash with them but equally that might be a good place for us to put in the labour as it needs a lot of work

FraserHughes
    Free Member

’twas a great day, my back is sore today and I think I nearly blocked the shower drain with mud when I got home!

Thanks again TJ for organising.

If the Friend of the Pentlands are doing something on the top of Phantoms what about us tackling the lower bit below the gate?

Alternative, I’d like to see some drainage added to the Kirk Burn path.

However, as Paul says I’m happy to chip in with whatever.

bigjim

Well from chatting to Susan yesterday, where and what gets done is all down to landowner negociations and permissions, but if we continue to work with them they are keen to hear what bits we would like to work on and our other ideas on making things better and see what can be done from there, which is fantastic.

It might be a good idea to ‘get in’ with the FoP, and attend some of their sessions.

Martin was saying that no one turned up to their own advertised repair session on Saturday, though it was a bit damp.

When I ran back to look for my gloves it was quite satisfying to see water flowing through the newly cleared ditches!

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

Well I don’t think we’ll be short of places to work then.

Working with the FoP could be a good bridge builder, if they see us doing our bit then will be more accepting of MTBers, not that i’ve experienced any grief but it’s always good to re-enforce the ties.

Strangley looking forward to the next session!

ChrisL

It was a good session yesterday, it was gratifying to see that we’d done a visible bit of work and that it started making a difference as soon as the rain started again. 🙂

I’m pretty disappointed that I won’t make the August session but hopefully I’ll be able to make other dates in the future. And thanks and congratulations again to TJ for making it happen!

FraserHughes
    Free Member

I’m all up for working with the Friend’s of the Pentlands they make cracking cakes 😀

MrKmkII
    Free Member

that was great yesterday! feeling pretty tired after working til 4am, mind! 😮

not sure i can make the august date, but if i can i will! 🙂

JPR
    Free Member

It was indeed good fun. And I reckon we achieved a pretty respectable amount.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Anyone else feel a bit broken today? I must be getting old.

FraserHughes
    Free Member

Bloody hell, based on that second pic I’m not sure I should be allowed a shovel!! 😈

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Just got this from the rangers

Hi Jeremy,

Just to say a big thank you to you and the team for all your hard work yesterday, please pass on our thanks to everyone who grafted on the day. I really enjoyed working with you guys on a very worthwhile piece of practical work that will have immediate benefits – you can certainly see where we’ve been!
    I’m looking forward to the next one in August, we need to discuss what would be best for then so if you want to put the word out and perhaps we can draw up a list?
    If there are any photos we’d love to see them, maybe put a link from our website.

kind regards,

Susan.

ps definitely need a cake input for the next one…….

ChrisL

ps definitely need a cake input for the next one…….

Does that make me a good or a bad influence? 🙂

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

Chris, thumbs up in my book! 😀

Dougal
    Free Member

Great work guys! If there was one section to chose to repair it was that one. Nice to know why it suddenly became a rutty mess, reason wasn’t that obvious when riding past.

Quite disappointed that the dates clash with races/weddings etc, but then it’s hard to avoid a race these days. Where are the rangers own repair dates published, someone mentioned they do saturdays too.

Where is Pistachio?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

pistachio is the bit in the woods above kinleith farm next to the rocky road. Used to be nice singletrack now a sprawl o multiple lines and muddy pits

These two dates were the only possible ones this summer for the rangers

Northwind

Sorry I missed it, was hoping to be more recovered but wasn’t to be. Well done folks!

I spoke to the Friends a while back, tbh they seemed to be mostly interested in taking membership fees off people and told me they wouldn’t “accept” volunteers who weren’t paid up. It’s not a lot of money but it didn’t seem a good start.

Dougal
    Free Member

pistachio is the bit in the woods above kinleith farm next to the rocky road. Used to be nice singletrack now a sprawl o multiple lines and muddy pits

Ah, yes. The section between the burn crossing and the road (on the way up) is especially bad. It could certainly be better drained without it necessarily being ‘dumbed down’.

Northwind

Dougal – Member

Ah, yes. The section between the burn crossing and the road (on the way up) is especially bad. It could certainly be better drained without it necessarily being ‘dumbed down’.

The trouble is the trail’s in the wrong place really, it runs through 2 natural low points in the woods and is barely above the water level (when the stream ran high last winter it started to flood into the trail bed!) So any drain dug out to the stream risks becoming an inlet. No simple options for this bit as far as I can tell

JPR
    Free Member

And a few more for good measure:

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Guys that looks like excellent work, im really disappointed I missed out. Apart from the August repair dates, are there any other opportunities around Edinburgh for trail maintenance and other related improvements/conservation?
    Keen to help!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

cfinnimore

Keep watching this thread – I aim to make this the start of someting more regular. After the august date we will decide what direction to take in the future with the aim being to have regular dates next year – maybe monthly

epicsteve
    Free Member

This is how the repairs are looking after a week of rain:

bigjim

is that gold tharr?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Wooooooooooooooooooo

The repaired patch is still there 🙂 I was worried it would get washed away.

Ta

drookitmunter
    Free Member

Hi! I MTB in the Pentlands a couple times a week and would love to help out with any work that needs done. Let me know if anything comes up.

Thanks,
    David

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Cheers. It won’t be until the spring now but I will try to get it arranged in advance and let everyone know in plenty of time

drookitmunter
    Free Member

I don’t read these forums much but if you email me nearer the time or post something over on Trail Scotland I’m sure I can get a small army of friendly helpers for you 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Cheers.

trekstar
    Free Member

I ride in the Pentlands all the time. I’m also a member on the forum over at trailscotland.co.uk, loads of good local banter on that site. There is a lot of Pentlands riders on it as well.

Give me a shout and I will help you guys out.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Ta

I’ll make sure you guys get to know and get included / involved in discussions. Not expecting to do any work over the winter.

JPR
    Free Member

Got the pics used in issue 7 of Privateer to illustrate their Privateer of the Year piece:

http://www.privateer.cc/2012/01/privateer-of-year-2011.html

Well chuffed they used them!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Well here is two new dates

April 28th and June 16th,

Clubbiedean first perhpas? aiming to deal with the boggy bits each end

Lets try to get a good turnout. the first date is very soon so Ihope we can. Publicise it widely please folks.

FraserHughes
    Free Member

Nice one Jeremy. In the diary and will be there for both!

Fraser

EDIT: Clubbiedean would be good, but was there not issues with working on it last year?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Clubbie dean is suggested by the rangers so I assume they have sorted consents

2wheels1guy
    Free Member

Sounds good, what time?
    Remember April 28th is the pedal on parliament event which I’d like to attend.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

time to be decided – probably 10 am meet

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Bumpity bump I know its been very short notice but is this all we can muster?

MrKmkII
    Free Member

perhaps i can make this. you got firm details? definitely clubbiedean reservoir at 10am?

JPR
    Free Member

I’ll be along too.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Great stuff 🙂

10.30 at clubbiedean would be best I think.

thanks

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 240 total)

The topic ‘Pentlands trail repair dates’ is closed to new replies.