Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Pentlands Tomorrow – rideable?
  • tpbiker
    Free Member

I was super excited about getting out on some frozen trails this weekend, but low and behold right on que its just started snowing.

Anyone with any experience of the place know if it’ll be rideable tomorrow providing it doesn’t blizzard overnight, and if so any parts specifically to avoid?

Thanks all

Liftman

Have you got a fat bike 😀

jeffcapeshop
    Free Member

kind of depends how it continues tonight.. right now it would be great.

don’t think it’s supposed to keep snowing all night, but who knows.

tpbiker
    Free Member

no fatbike 🙁

but good point..

What tyres for….;-)

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I’m thinking of heading up on Sunday, hoping that tomorrows traffic will make some lovely ridable singletrack in the snow. Worked in 2010.

jodafett

I went up last night from Bonaly past Clubbiedean res and up to Maidens Cleugh then turned at the top and went down to Harlaw. The worst bit was the rocky farm track up to Maidens, a lot of it was black ice. With all this snow we’re having just now I’d avoid it unless you have spikes, there will be to many random black ice patches lurking beneath the snow.

Northwind

Just been for a totally unneccesary drive up the kirkgate (because it was there) and up to harlaw visitors centre and there’s a decent amount of snow up there, drifty too- it’s very fine so won’t be ideal over ice. TBH I didn’t feel ice was a real problem yesterday other’n Ranges Road, which was fairly bad in places. (was entirely ridable but now it’ll be hidden)

So I’d say it’ll be ridable but it’ll definitely be a snow ride rather than a ride with some snow.

Northwind

Oh- sadly the big cocks people had drawn in the snow at Threipmuir are probably gone now. weather’s such a philistine.

jodafett

Anybody go there today. I’m thinking of going down Maidens then round to Harlaw via Loganlea early tomorrow morning. Is it worth it?

dukeduvet

was out walking there today rather than riding but saw plenty out on their bikes and I looked on wishing I was doing so too.

Fair bit of snow around. Track up from Bonaly Scout camp is a bit slippy but rideable, around Torduf resevoir was perfect. Scalextric looked awesome. As its powdery snow should be great. Some of the roots in the forests were pretty slippy though with ice.

I would say go for it, where I was would be fine riding

Northwind

Aye, went a short spin kirkgate-maidens-green cleugh-nail trail. Actually astonished by how little extra snow there is, it doesn’t feel like there was a thaw but I guess yesterday’s was so fine that once it compressed a bit it more or less vanished (was easily 6 inches at harlaw at midnight last night)

Anyway- couple of fairly nasty ice patches on maidens about halfway down, but all was nice and easy to see. Otherwise can’t recall anything too problematic. Nailtrail still isn’t quite frozen, nor the phantoms/maiden junction- couple of heroic wheeltraps.

I imagine it’ll be a bit icier tomorrow but still, today was fab.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Yep, did 20 miles, 95% rideable but a few icy spots. Paid the price of horrendous tyre choice however, fell off more times in the first hour than i did throughout all of 2012 i reckon.

or maybe i’m just rubbish

good fun however

bigjim

Lots of ice under the snow I hear – the road by loganlea is sheet ice apparently. A friend had a flier on an icy section and has a golf ball lump on her knee.

jodafett

Cheers folks, think I’ll give it a bash (not literally I hope!). Where does the Nail Trail start? I’ve heard it mentioned a couple of times but not looked for it yet (I’m fairly new to the Pentlands).

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Pentlands Tomorrow – rideable?’ is closed to new replies.