Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Pentlands this sunday
  • BigR

Have 3-4 hrs to kill tomorrow after dropping kids off at Bonaly. Are there routes that are reasonably firm to pass the time or should I take the road bike. I have only ridden in the Pentlands once before and the weather had been good for a while so ground was reasonable.

druidh
    Free Member

Taken this afternoon…

BigR

That dosen’t look good. Is it possible to stick to landy tracks but still get a decent distance eg Bonaly – Castlelaw-Loganlea-North Esk-Borestane-Listonshiels etc

tpbiker
    Free Member

which bit is that Druidh? I was there friday night and I’ve never seen the place so muddy. Maidens was a disaster area. Will hold off going back for a while I reckon.

druidh
    Free Member

That’s the Maidens/Phantoms junction. The water table has now reached the level whereby the spring has re-appeared at that signpost. Pretty bad everywhere really, with the tracks just getting wider as folk try to avoid the muddiest sections. In previous years I’ve asked on here that folk show some restraint but it’s never really made any difference. I wonder just how bad it would have to be before we saw a reduction in traffic 🙂

At least I now have a more suitable vehicle!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Ruining your own trails druid?

druidh
    Free Member

The Fatbike was primarily acquired for the non-destructive nature of the wider tyre on the soft trails prevalent in my locality Al.

Orange-Crush
    Free Member

A pal was up the Pents last week or the week before and he’d never seen the like. I think the Somme was called to mind – some goons were running a bike orienteering event or similar with no thought to the consequences.

Does the Land Reform (Scotland) Act really allow commercial organisations to do this? I thought responsibility was the key word.

robgarrioch

You’re perhaps referring to this, Mr Crush –

Haglofs Descend – Ruin – Pi55 Off Series

Covered a little on BookFace if you look at Pentland Hills Users group. Remember driving home, to Bonaly, & seeing a lot of car-borne bikes passing with race plates on, worried it had gone ahead after the wet Friday / Saturday. Have barely been up this year, but the damage seems unprecedented

Orange-Crush
    Free Member

That must have been it – 153 sets of wheels churning away on wet ground where there is some level of antagonism to cycling. Not clever.

ojom
    Free Member

Off to Innerleithen. Our voluntary no ride amnesty is still in effect.

Fancy that instead?

bigjim

I was up on foot on Sunday and it was pretty damn wet. I did some puddle draining though, if everyone did a bit of this it would be a better place. Was nice to see some snow on the tops too!

What was the route this event took, anyone know?

There was a bike orienteering type event in 2008 that totally ruined Phantoms, it still hasn’t recovered.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Pentlands this sunday’ is closed to new replies.