Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Pentlands stickman at work…
  • Northwind

Just a wee heads up, just came down the path from Harlaw Rd to the Water of Leith path (on strava it’s Ali’s Back Passage/Lennox Tower Corridor) and it had a ton of branches and logs dragged across it… Definitely not windblow, and all since sunday afternoon.

I moved a bunch but didn’t have time to do them all so left a lot of the easier to ride ones and some of the bigger bits… so it’s still fairly obstructed in places but some of them seemed intentionally placed to be dangerous- just on the back side of the wee drop and log hop frinstance.

Someone had knocked the stone bridge down a wee while back too and the log bridge further down had been messed with on sunday (though is still rideable, I wasn’t sure if that was the vandal or the trailfairy) TBH it’s not a high speed trail so it’s probably not that unsafe but be careful aye? What’s really weird is in all the times I’ve ridden it, I’ve literally seen one person on the path, how contentious can it be?

bigjim

That’s a shame, I think it has been raised on here before though. It was fine until it ended up on strava. It used to be a nice secret little trail that, never seen anyone on it at all.

Anyone got a motion sensitive wildlife camera?

Alternatively build all the logs into little jumps!

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Only 2 min 55 secs. What you doing on here? You should be practising.

kcal

mate had been down there a fortnight ago, was new to him. TBF I think he happened along down it rather than searched it out, only when he got him realised he’d been down some ‘trails’. I recall doing some tracks down that way when used to hack round Harlaw and so on, don’t know the names either, but to be honest trails are being ‘found’ or at least searched out all the time.

But I guess Strava and the heat map highlight them more. Still happy with being of an era from the start of Puke Hill, Death or Glory, Camouflage Path and the descent off Monks Rig to the Nine Mile Burn pub..

ntwilkie
    Free Member

Not been down there for a while, but it was the same earlier in the year. Cleared it a few times, but once the nettles get big it’s not worth the effort. It’s a strange hobby for someone to have, I’ve always been tempted to put up a sign saying “who put these here and why?” along with a pen on a bit of string so they can write an answer. It’s not like it’s a busy path, for cyclists or walkers.

13thfloormonk

If that’s the one I think it is I find it even more confusing as I ‘found’ it a few years ago when it was still hugely overgrown and looked to have been barely ever used by walkers or cyclists.

I made a half hearted attempt to clear it but never finished the job, then someone came along and turned it into a great wee trail and stole all my glory! 👿

Point being, whoever is covering it in sticks etc. seems to be objecting to an unused path being cleared and used again, they probably don’t realise it was MTBers who opened it up in the first place 🙄

(similar example on the North Shore when someone complained about a famous trail called ‘Ladies Only’ crossing a series of small ponds with a resident heron. What they didn’t realise was that the ponds had been created by the trail builder, and that the resident heron was a plastic statue! 😆 )

ferrit
    Free Member

Yep – this hasn’t happened for a while – thought whoever was doing it got bored but evidently they’re back…

Previous STW thread

NewRetroTom

Anyone else noticed the proliferation of broken glass on the Pentlands trails?

On the lane which is the extension of Kirkgate leading from Currie up to Maiden’s there is a whole load of glass on the main track and some on the single track in the woods. I think there was always a bit there but there is loads more now. I’ve also noticed some on Phantom’s and some near the summit of Maiden’s.

Would be interested to find out who the asshat doing this is.

kcal

🙁

bigjim

Please report it to the Rangers, the Pentland Rangers are no more sadly but the Edinburgh council service covers it now

http://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/info/20064/parks_and_green_spaces/270/natural_heritage_sites

They work closely with the police on things like this

NewRetroTom

I’ll take some pictures on my ride home tonight and submit a report to the Natural Heritage Service.

Northwind

There’s a section in the woods off Ranges Road where there’s always broken pottery and glass- just near where you roll through a ditch that’s got 2 lines through it? Apparently it’s actually an old rubbish heap rather than someone scattering glass, I cleaned a ton of it up a few years back but you can see it coming out of the ground. But that’s just that one spot. Phantoms and Maidens are both grazing land so that’s going to be of particular interest to the authorities and landowner I reckon…

I’ve cleared off the trail I mentioned a couple more times, they’re pretty dedicated tbh but they’ve underestimated my smallmindedness. Planning to get up and recut the drains in the wet bit just to really annoy them 😆

Anyone know if there’s still trees on it near the bottom? I took out a lot of the straggly branches to make it easier to climb over but I didn’t have the kit to remove the big guys, never been back up and it’s kind of a hike with the big saw, only to find they’re gone 😆

NewRetroTom

Interesting what you say about the old rubbish tip – I think the work they did on the lane in the autumn has brought a load more of this to the surface. I’ve been riding the ‘cross bike on the lane rather than the rooty singletrack and was pretty shocked by how much glass there is.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Pentlands stickman at work…’ is closed to new replies.