Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 139 total)
  • Pentlands amble thread follow-up: Sunday 11th Oct. (not 10th!)
  • Kit
    Free Member

Sunday 11th October, 10am, Car Park by Bonaly Scout Camp.

Route TBC depending on weather, but likely up and over/around Allermuir by one way or another 🙂

Expressed interest so far:

robgarrioch
    PaulGillespie
    Garry_Lager
    yetidave

Any other lurkers who want to join us? For epicsteve and offroading's benefit, maybe next time (assuming it goes well!) we could start at Balerno and ride the southern part of the Pentlands.

Ta,
    Kit

robgarrioch

Nicely collated Kit – hoping the Balerno collective make a border skirmish through; like the sound of epicsteves 'trails through the woods'

ijs445ra
    Free Member

I would like to be along for this but i am painting a flat all weekend…..rubbish

epicsteve
    Free Member

If there is a subsequent Balerno based outing then it might be worth considering doing it as a night ride.

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

I'll definately be getting out in the Pentlands mid week at night over the coming months so let's get something organised after we've had Sunday's ride. Drum up a bit of interest.

Steve, if you're out Sunday you could always come meet us at the top of Bonaly?

epicsteve
    Free Member

Steve, if you're out Sunday you could always come meet us at the top of Bonaly?

I'll almost certainly be out on Sunday so I'll keep an eye on this thread for times and routes etc. I can cut over to Bonaly using the quad bike track that contours round Harbour Hill from Maidens Cleugh – but it really depends where you're planning to head to after that.

The Pentlands looked like this last Sunday:

so lets hope for more of the same!

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

That hill feels steeper than it looks! I'v contoured round on the left hand side before but then I guess you're missing out on a bit more downhill!

epicsteve
    Free Member

That hill feels steeper than it looks! I'v contoured round on the left hand side before but then I guess you're missing out on a bit more downhill!

I've never managed to ride that myself although I have seen it done. I was tempted to have a go on Sunday though as a very attractive lady runner (just out of shot on the right when this was taken) was just about to head up that way!

I've pushed over the top of Harbour Hill to Bonaly but I find the quad track to the left more rideable so usually go that way as well.

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

Any here was me thinking that you were some kind of super human climbing god! 😆

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I might come along – a bit early for me tho as its a 10 mile ride to get to bonally. Don't wait for me

Why dont the balerno folk just ride round to bonally – It won't take long.

Kit
    Free Member

I've never managed to ride that myself although I have seen it done.

Done it myself a couple of times heading over from Maiden's 😀 But took me a few years to get the power in the legs and lungs to do it! I'd have given it a go for the young lady – she'd be faster than you anyway so isn't going to see you collapsing 😉 Can't do it coming the other way though from Green Cleugh… The contouring quad track used to be good, but I suspect that it gets a lot of horsey traffic as its certainly a lot bumpier and muddier than it used to be, likewise Scalectrix.

Night rides sound good. I try and get out as much as I can, but been pretty lax this year.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Any here was me thinking that you were some kind of super human climbing god

I suspect that I am quite possibly the slowest/worst climber on STW! After a while without riding much and putting on vast quantities of weight I've only just got back to being able to climb up to Maidens Cleugh on the middle ring.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Why dont the balerno folk just ride round to bonally

A Bonaly start mostly likely means a visit to Puke Hill, and my poor knees (not to mention my lungs, heart and legs) aren't keen on that idea…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

epic – Puke hill is good ( not really) but I tend to use it as it gets you up into the hills quickly – I rarely get up the whole thing without walking a bit tho

Offroading
    Free Member

Hi,

My knowledge of the hill's names is shocking – so i dunno where you guys are going. I do recognize the hill in the above pic! I go up it 4 times a week. I don't have any night time equipment and im not really interrested in night riding to be honest.

So if you guys are planning a ride up the Balerno end sometime i'll defo be there.

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

TJ i'll be leaving from leith and will be driving 😳 Can give you a lift if you don't mind your bike going in the boot.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I don't have any night time equipment and im not really interrested in night riding to be honest.

I'm currently waiting for my DX light to arrive but once it does I'd be happy to give you a loan of my old Lumi's so you can give night-riding a try. It's good fun and familiar trails take on a whole new character at night.

epicsteve
    Free Member

epic – Puke hill is good ( not really) but I tend to use it as it gets you up into the hills quickly – I rarely get up the whole thing without walking a bit tho

Good is not the word I'd use for Puke Hill! I tend to cheat and, coming from the Balerno side, take the trail above the reservoir that joins just before the gate half way up.

Offroading
    Free Member

Cool, might give it a go sometime if you want.

Northwind

Might be tempted along to this myself… How big of a ride do you have in mind?

kennyp
    Free Member

You might be a bit early for it, but keep an eye out for the hill runners in the Pentland Skyline fell race. One of the toughest fell races of the year. And no, I'm not running in it.

I am going for a walk in the Pentlands with a few friends, so keep an eye out for a group of about 4 or 5 and say hello.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Picture from tonight – looking down onto Edinburgh from Maidens Cleugh.

robgarrioch

PG – careful, dunno if you've seen TJ's gate.. sorry, bike 🙂

I've an inkling of a route that would take maybe 2 hrs riding time, with a wee detour that avoids part of puke hill… there will be climbing but those ahead always wait on them behind (+ anyone'll toast me on the downs!)

Nice photo epicsteve – had you company or tripod?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Paul – how big is your car? Driving from leith is pathetic BTW

Room for a tandem and two folk?

Kit
    Free Member

Sounds like Rob has a plan, so will leave him to guiding duties *phew* 😀

TJ – if you can't get a lift, what time do you think you could be up there for? If you reckon 10:15 or thereabouts, we could hang on for you.

Pentlands night riding is good fun 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Kit – its merely a question of getting out of my bed. I don't expect or really want a lift. 11 would be kinder to this night owl who can't get up in the morning 🙂 12 even better

If I am there I am there – I'll be there by 10 or very shortly after if I am going to be there at all

AlasdairMc

I can't do Sunday, but I'd be up for a Pentlands jaunt sometime soon, again preferably a Balerno start but I don't honestly mind starting at Bonaly if it's a majority vote.

There seems to be a disproportionate number of users of STW from Balerno – did any of you cite proximity to the Pentlands as a reason for moving here?

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Hi guys,

I've not met any of you before (I think?) but been a 'lurker' on here for a while and am a Pentlands regular. Is there any etiquette for coming along? A slab of beers / chocolate biscuits etc ???

Im a pretty good climber – but a wheel bender descender. I'm starting to realise that the hills are free but the rims are flipping expensive !

If anyone want a lift for NW Edinburgh (Blackhall / Craigleith / Stockbridge …) I've got 1 spare bike carrier on the roofrack.

BTW – if any of you are up for night time rides weeknights (pref. near Edinburgh) – then I'm game. And if anyone wants to borrow some lights – I'm happy to lend some MTE SSC P7 torches.

AlasdairMc

Nightride would be good, but I'm busy Mondays and Thursdays, and climb one other night a week – my wife rarely sees me as is so another night might be pushing it somewhat!!

There's a weekly nightride on mtbscotland.net, normally a forest somewhere.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

I'd also be keen for some nightride action in the next wee while (busy for the next fortnight). Dunfermline based so it's an easy hop across the water. Tuesdays or Wednesdays best.

Need to do something to rescue my fast-fading fitness!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

couldashouldawoulda
    You have to wait for me on the climbs thats the etiquette – and possibly other places as well – I am rather crashing Kits ride but just turn up.

Kunstler

I rode that quad bike track around Harbour Hill for the first time today as part of really brilliant ride. From there I took the track around and over the north side of Capelaw and then did the uppermost descent on the west side of Castlelaw. Then it was up the glen and down Black Hill. I think we've been really lucky with dry conditions but I'm not optimistic about it continuing beyond this week.

I might join you folks on another occasion as this Sunday I'm planning on coaxing Miss K around Ardgarten. I'd be quite surprised if anyone rides more of a 'gate' than my cheapskate self.

Yesterday I did a descent around the west side of Allermuir coming down into Swanston. It was mostly sheep tracks but fun even if I did get a little lost. I'm not sure I'd want to ascend from that side though.

Kit
    Free Member

No real etiquette, just show up for 10 on Sunday and we'll go for a ride, at slowest rider's pace (wait at gates, tops of climbs, etc).

I'm not that quick up or down so no pressure to beast it everywhere!

Funny you should mention the crate of beer – last time I was up there, a group of young lads were walking up Puke Hill carrying camping gear (1 person) food (1 person) and booze (2 people!) 😕

Sounds like we should get a ride organised for the Balerno posse in the not-too-distant future too.

By the way, I'll be riding from Stockbridge up the Water of Leith, if anyone else is heading out that way.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Hi Tandem – we can have a competition on the crashing part!

Stuartie – Tue/Wed sounds good to me.

Does it sound like a good idea to post a "night ride pentlands proposal" type thread?

epicsteve – Did you got for a torch or the "dedicated" bike light?

Kit- I regularly ride the Water of Leith to Balerno but dont know how to get from there to the Scout centre by bike. If you're agreeable I can meet you somewhere near / at Murrayfield Stadium (where I join from the Blackhall cycle path) and cycle from there and you can show me the route!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

couldashouldawoulda

Its an easy bit to find. Before you cross the bypass on the way to balerno a driveway into a block of flats joins the route for 50 m – come off the WOL at that point and climb the hill to the main road – cross over it and carry on climbing

Come off teh WOL at teh arrow and follow the road up to thae car park south of bonaly tower
    http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=321090&y=668850&z=120&sv=321090,668850&st=4&ar=y&mapp=map.srf&searchp=ids.srf&dn=586&ax=321090&ay=668850&lm=0

Kit
    Free Member

No worries coulda – its easy once you know how 🙂

Do you know where the WOL comes out at the bus stop and you cross the road towards Murrayfield? I'll meet you on the Murrayfield side of the road about 9:15 at the pedestrian crossing. Drop me an email with your number in case one of us gets held up.

13thfloormonk

How do you get from Green Cleugh to harbour hill? and what part of Maiden's Cleugh is that epic?

I'm itching to come along for this, just singlespeeded my bike last night so would slot right into the STW posse! 😀

Is it a 10am start at Bonaly then?

epicsteve
    Free Member

epicsteve – Did you got for a torch or the "dedicated" bike light?

I went for the dedicated night light. If I find it good I might get one of their helmet lamps as well.

Currently I'm using old Halogen Lumi's plus a 1W LED Tesco torch cable-tied to the helmet.

epicsteve
    Free Member

what part of Maiden's Cleugh is that epic?

If you're coming up from the Harlaw car-park it's just where you reach the top of the pass (about 50 yards before the gate), looking back towards Edinburgh.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have just been called to work this weekend so won't be coming.

Have fun chaps

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 139 total)

The topic ‘Pentlands amble thread follow-up: Sunday 11th Oct. (not 10th!)’ is closed to new replies.