Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Pentlands Question
  • tpbiker
    Free Member

One for the pentlands regulars on here!

Is it possible to cycle across west and east kip and down to flotterstone, or is it purely a walking trail? Reason I ask is I that i can’t work out where to go once I’ve done the climb up the west kip, it appears I can either try to head over it, or head down past the farm and face a long road cycle back down to glencourse?

AlasdairMc

Not recommended when it’s been wet as it is very peaty and thus gets churned up. You can drop left at the track up West Kip towards Green Cleugh, or even take a left at Red Gate for roughly the same result.

Garry_Lager

Respectfully disagree with my learned Friend. Whilst the kips can be soft, the majority of the ridge track is in good order and can be taken on nae bother across and down to the Flotterstone. I used to do it late on just to avoid walker hassle, but this was for appearances sake, not the trail’s sake.

To avoid the kips, take the trail round the base of them from the bealach (below West Kip) to the square of trees. There is then a heroic climb to Scald law at your disposal. Take the rest of the ridge from there.

tpbiker
    Free Member

So to miss out the Kips do I go left or right of them? I can’t remember seeing a route to the left, is it after the wee bridge thing just before the path starts to climb to the left or further up the hill?

Once you’ve rounded them then is the climb up scald law easy to find and pedalable? And from there I can take a path along the ridge over Turnhouse?

Actually, don’t suppose you have a gps map of it do you?

🙂

Garry_Lager

North side of them – keep climbing to the top of the pass (the Bealach) then the path is on your left. This path is a well-known route in the Pentlands so a good one to have in your mental map of the place. You pass the square of trees and the trail then drops steeply down to Loganlea. If instead you bear right over rough ground you’ll then clearly see a good path up to Scald Law.

Pedelable in principle, but you’d need to be a seriously Bad Man to clean it – probably one of the toughest climbs in the Pentlands.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Thanks Garry

I’m a bit unsure of where the path is exactly, is it a gravel path or just a bit of worn grass?

If I keep climbing up to the base of west kip the main path then descends down south side of that to the farm. How far roughly before the main path starts descending should I be looking for the left turn down to the trees?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Pentlands Question’ is closed to new replies.