Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Pentlands people…
  • Northwind

Just a follow on from the thread about possible trail repairs in the Pentlands… I just got a pretty positive reply back from the ranger service, I don't really want to post it all up here but hopefully should be meeting up with them in a few weeks specifically to have a chat about pistachio way (as nail trail is out of their manor). We've mentioned the 18th of May (a tuesday), now I don't want to appoint myself spokesman or anything here so if anyone else is interested let me know, email to andrew@blackjack.f9.co.uk or post it here would be fine. Ideally people who've done a bit of trailbuilding or at least can talk the talk like me 😉 and can do "sustainability/multiuse/recreation/responsible use" buzzwords as that seems to be what they like! But everyone's got the right to be involved if they want I reckon.

Also, in their reply they mentioned that they're considering a scheme of "monitoring/maintenance" of the "informal downhill trail" at Bonaly, which I assume would be the Nibbler. Now, that's not my patch, I've done wee touches of maintenance on it and ridden it a few times but that's it so if anyone knows anyone who's been more involved in building it and riding it that'd be great… If there's anything afoot that affects their trails they should know.

Oh, I also heard back from the Friends of the Pentlands but that strikes me as a bit of a bust, they do "dig days" of a sort but they're always on weekdays, and they'd require membership to cover their insurance so it's a bit restrictive. Maybe one to remember but not to follow up on for now.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I've never done any trail maintenance before (other than some informal tidying up on the Nail Trail from time to time) but would be interested in getting involved (not sure about the 18th of May yet though), especially given I do almost all of my mountain biking in the Pentlands these days.

robgarrioch

Nice going on picking up the gauntlet Andrew – I think you'll have plenty volunteers to assist any work allowed, myself included. Afraid I couldn't make the 18th unless it's after 5pm though.
    I get the feeling that White Hill / 'Nibbler' may be more monitored than maintained, walked up there last Sunday gathering rubbish left by the wilderness explorers (i.e. easter campers…) & thought the various side-trails springing up, separate from the main cluster, may be getting out of hand.
    If it is a positive meeting, maybe an evening ride / discussion could be arranged? May be worth an unofficial meet beforehand too if you want to guage what needs doing.

IA

Folk have been talking with rangers about bonaly for a while. More info here:

http://www.descent-world.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,74.0.html

julesf7
    Free Member

Rather like epicsteve I have never attempted anything other than ad hoc trail maintenance but would be happy to set some days aside to help/do what I'm told. Can't do the 18th May, though, unfortunately, but would really like to be kept in the loop so I can commit if possible

Northwind

IA, that's interesting, good to know these things, they alluded that this was a new development not an ongoing thing but maybe that was just casual wording, thanks!

I think I can actually swing the afternoon off as a "community initiative" from my work :mrgreen: Because the bank loves you. If anyone else fancies it that'd be welcome but at the same time, not actually needed, so whatever suits you lot. I'm happy driving stuff like this and speaking to people, it's kind of what I do but I don't want to be just pushing some agenda of my own is the other thing- I know pretty much what I'd do but it's not my hills.

IA

It's "new" in terms of timescales things seem to happen on in the pentlands! There were trails being built up white hill when I was first riding there 13 odd years ago.

The folk on DW have been liaising with the rangers since the old DW forum, so for a couple of years now, though I think it's only lately it's been actually getting somewhere.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Nice going northwind – I can probably make the meeting if you want – YGM

13thfloormonk

good work northwind, i'm on holiday from mid may till early june though so can't reprahsent unfortunately, but still up for helping at a later date!

ojom
    Free Member

Count us in as an entity in it's own right.

I am sure (volunteers a total NOOB without asking…) that jimmy will be up for this too. He is Sustrans linked too so 'kens' people.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Unlikely I'd manage the Tuesday but I'd definately be up for helping however I can. Got a fair bit of trailbuilding experience and a van full of tools.

druidh
    Free Member

I'd be up for helping if I can get my boss to consider this "community involvement" and pay me for it….

ojom
    Free Member

Yeah for sure, aye no worries, uh huh, right on, wooooo!

Northwind

OK, Susan Falconer is out of the office til saturday and I need to check I can get the time myself so I'll fire back up here once we have a time confirmed. Great to see so much interest!

debaser

No experience at all but I'd be happy to help if the timing works out. I'll keep an eye on the thread.

Kit
    Free Member

Personally, I think there other areas of the Pentlands which would benefit more urgently from the goodwill and manpower exhibited here. Why spend time on an optional trail when places like the bog crossing on the Hare Hill path really need sorting to prevent a compulsory crossing getting any worse/wider?

Just my opinion though, and well done Andrew on making positive steps in this regard. Good luck, and if anything ever goes ahead on a Sunday, I'll be there.

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

Well done Northwind! I'm happy to help on the labour front when the work begins.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Kit – you have a point. it was the state of Pistachio and Nail trail that started this off. Personally I'd like to see some work on Phantoms.

Kit
    Free Member

Personally I'd like to see some work on Phantoms.

ditto, although I gave up riding Phantoms many moons ago…

Northwind

Ah, now there's a thing, the Friends of the Pentlands are apparently just about to start work on Phantom's with renger support. I've asked for a bit of detail on that.

TJ is spot on, there's no particular reason why pistachio is talked about here, other than that it's the bit that always annoys me personally because it's just up the hill, and so it kind of kicked me off! But it does have the advantage of being quite a nice contained area where even a fairly small effort could make a big difference, so it still seems to me to be a good place to start. Baby steps and all that, but being able to say "We did that" has got to be a good thing, for everyone I reckon.

AlasdairMc

Andrew,

I'm doing a charity ride on the 18th but am up for anything else.

Have you noticed that the boardwalk at Red Moss has been ripped up and left by the side of the road? Unsure if it's being replaced or not, if the wood is going to waste it might be worth trying to obtain it for our use (like on Nail Trail, Black Hill's boggy bit etc)

al

Northwind

I heard some bits were being ripped out for replacement, hadn't noticed it though. Another one to bear in mind, cheers!

stanfree
    Free Member

Northwind Ill gladly offer my grafting skills if you get a date for any maintenance sorted.

epicsteve
    Free Member

There was a sign up a couple of weeks back saying that some of the boardwalk was unsafe and would be replaced.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Phantoms has been on my personal stock route since I started riding in the Pentlands back in the early 90s. Its survived surprisingly well. However a few folk with shovels and a few bags of hardcore could make it much more sustainable

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

Was up there last night and Phantoms was the driest i've ever seen it but it was still horrible to ride, the damage has obviously been done.

The board walk is all ripped up and in a very big pile near the Harlaw carpark. It better get shifted quick before the youth of today set it alight!

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

I can offer spade time when the time comes. Probably best if everyone stands back, i'm not sure i'm qualified to handle dangerous equipment…

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Pentlands people…’ is closed to new replies.