Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Pentlands – memorable climbs
  • debaser

Have had to get the map out to figure a few of these out. I reckon the only way I’ll ever get good at climbing is more climbing so I’ll have to try some of these ones.

Looking at the contours on the ones I don’t know, I can already see the point at which I’ve collapsed by the trail in a wheezing heap, and it’s not very far up towards the top.

FraserHughes
    Free Member

Where is Mount Maw Fraser?

Between Baddinsgill and North Esk, there is no track on the map but a path goes from North Esk Cottage to The Mount, Grain Heads then Mount Maw:

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=55.78606119227502~-3.371606656006112&lvl=13&dir=0&sty=s&form=LMLTCC

North Esk upto the Borestane is a lovely climb – not too steep but very varied – think you have to take a few dabs with the gullies higher up.

+1. Good call.

Harperrig to Cauldstane Slap in another good one in the dry. Not to difficult though.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I mustn’t be as crap as I thought:

Garry_Lager – Member
    Is Castlelaw to the top doable? I doubt it

If you mean from the car-pak near teh fort up, cleaned it several times ona singlespeed – a few years ago admittedly.

13FM = have got a fair way up the steeper climb to back of Black Hill from Green Cleuch on 24/28 when I was your age!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    13thfloormonk

If you mean from the car-pak near teh fort up, cleaned it several times ona singlespeed – a few years ago admittedly.

Do you mean RIGHT to the top though Al? the summit is not on the red road, you turn left through a nasty steep set of S-bends before a particularly nasty, loose and very steep final push. Pretty sure it would go with gears, although I didn’t manage the one time I tried.

13FM = have got a fair way up the steeper climb to back of Black Hill from Green Cleuch on 24/28 when I was your age!

Hmm… I’ve never even tried, figured it was a non-starter so always went for the other climb, much more fun anyway!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Ah OK I was meaning to the cattle grid, am not so masochistic as to ride to the dead end.

Dougal
    Free Member

Getting a bit hard to follow now, but:

– The climb TJ is talking about up to the flagpole at Capelaw ridge is a lot harder than it used to be. The grass seems to be clumped up. I’ve not cleaned it since 2009, probably would help running a proper tyre on the back even in the dry.

– The steeper of the two tracks from The Howe up to the back of black hill is probably too loose to get up these days. I haven’t tried it in a few years though, enjoy going up the other way too much.

– West Kip is a no-go I reckon. Hard to see a good line on it, and ignoring the ground conditions, it is pretty steep on the scale of things. Rest of the five peaks are doable with a decent headwind.

– The climb from The Howe to West Kip is pretty broken up now around the corner, not managed that in a long time, although the only times I’ve tried it this year have either been with the CX bike or MTB with a single ring.

Everything else mentioned here is ticked off, a fair number in the middle (32-32) or single ring (34-32) too.

robgarrioch

Howden Burn climb from Dreghorn

Better get round & have a try or 2 at that again; attempted it a couple of times & just thought ‘Nah!’.

rob, good effort on Allermuir

Eh? Must be a mix-up; I live in hope I may someday get up it cleanly, but without a (powered) trials bike I kinda doubt it…

Taking the odd detour over Torduff Hill from bottom of Scalextric, down the west side of the trees on kinda grassy dbl-track then up to the top. Short & sharp, frequent fail through losing traction on damp grass –

Getting to the same spot by diverting off the path linking scout camp gate to Torduff reservoir, going up to the left, takes a bit of puff too…

studioderm
    Free Member

not trying to hijack the thread, but for all the ups there has to be downs.

what are the most memorable downs?

i know the Scalectrix, and the drop to Balerno from red moss have been discussed, any other ‘choice’ recomendations?

13thfloormonk

Aha, thats the trick though, isn’t it? Some of the better descents (such as the Red Moss/Balerno trail) have suffered pretty badly from getting too popular.

I reckon your best bet is to try some of the climbs above and see what you find on the other side 😉

studioderm
    Free Member

Good point 13th, i know the place well, but there is always more out there!

Derm

Kunstler

I reckon your best bet is to try some of the climbs above and see what you find on the other side

Yes, and in that respect I’d wholeheartedly recommend the Kirk road.

studioderm
    Free Member

i’m sure i can find something enjoyable after Kirk road!

cheers

Garry_Lager

The doons are a bit pish by and large, when compared to the climbs which can be epic. It’s a massive area an all, but few of the descents rate a big mention IMHO. I ain’t complaining, the hills are what they are, but it’s slim pickings descent-wise.

The short single track of Black Hill past the spring, and the goat track down from castlelaw way are good. As is red road (the one named on the OS map). Round the front of Allermuir from the top of the Howden Burn is exceptional for about 5 seconds.

There’s plenty of opportunity to straightline it down off the tops – known a few EBC bods who would do this. Riding a bike really **** fast down a grassy slope is not my thing, but if you’re a downhiller in Edinburgh without a car I guess you can only work with what’s on your doorstep.
    There’s also stuff on white hill which is worth a gander. It’s a bit ragged and you’d probably need to be decent to get the most out of, but good fun if that’s your style.

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Pentlands – memorable climbs’ is closed to new replies.